Faulty Helium Escape Valve?

Hi, first time poster here. After doing a fair bit of research, I’ve just purchased my first Omega watch, a Seamaster Planet Ocean 42mm reference 2201.50.00 (the ‘Quantum of Solace’ Planet Ocean). I like the watch but have a question about the helium escape valve, which I’m hoping someone may be able to help me with. The HEV crown doesn’t seem to screw down fully and sit flush with the case. There is a bit of the stem of the valve exposed when fully screwed down. Looking at other pictures of the watch on the internet seem to show the HEV fairly flush with the watch case. Do you think this is an issue with the watch? It’s just had a service at the dealer I bought it from so maybe it’s an issue with the quality of the service? I’ve attached a few photos showing what I mean about the HEV. Any comments much appreciated. Thanks.

URGENT!! Search this site for escaped helium!

Like 1
I don't have that specific model (although I covet it severely), but I do have a Diver 300M with a helium valve. To my untrained eye, that looks like something that needs correction.

On another note, the thread @p4ul linked to is great.

Like 1
I put a helium detector in my house. It has gone off when I wear certain divers. I have been able to get the Mrs and the cat out of the house although the cat has levitated from the escaped helium and really freaks out, he gets a funny high pitched meow as well.

Like 3
You can tell if the helium escapes because the watch will get very heavy.

Like 1
I put a helium detector in my house. It has gone off when I wear certain divers. I have been able to get the Mrs and the cat out of the house although the cat has levitated from the escaped helium and really freaks out, he gets a funny high pitched meow as well.

Get a couple of concrete blocks on the roof, stat.

Like 1
You can tell if the helium escapes because the watch will get very heavy.

True, but be titanium aware.

Like 1
OP, welcome to the forum and try to not take the sarcasm too seriously.
Yes, there appears to be a fault with your HEV. It should sit flush with the case when fully screwed down. I'd definitely get that rectified before submerging that watch in water.

Like 4

I got nervous and had to check my newly acquired Peter Blake Seamaster just in case! It looks ok though, no helium lost. ;)

But seriously, I believe they're supposed to fit flush.

helium valve.jpg

Like 2
Hi, first time poster here. After doing a fair bit of research, I’ve just purchased my first Omega watch, a Seamaster Planet Ocean 42mm reference 2201.50.00 (the ‘Quantum of Solace’ Planet Ocean). I like the watch but have a question about the helium escape valve, which I’m hoping someone may be able to help me with. The HEV crown doesn’t seem to screw down fully and sit flush with the case. There is a bit of the stem of the valve exposed when fully screwed down. Looking at other pictures of the watch on the internet seem to show the HEV fairly flush with the watch case. Do you think this is an issue with the watch? It’s just had a service at the dealer I bought it from so maybe it’s an issue with the quality of the service? I’ve attached a few photos showing what I mean about the HEV. Any comments much appreciated. Thanks.
Bring it back to where you had it serviced if recently see what they say. I’ve had good luck with watch makers talking care of things post service. Good luck.

Like 1
Thanks for the responses everyone. I contacted the dealer and they’ve agreed to take it back and (hopefully) correct the issue with the valve. Fingers crossed that should resolve it.
I wasn’t aware of the risk of escaping helium but my voice has been a bit squeaky recently…. :)

Like 3