Forums Latest Members

Big problem with helium escape

1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 25, 2016

When running into problems with my Rolex Sea-Dweller and its helium valve I got some good info that I would like to share. I guess most of it is applicable on Omega: s with helium valves also.

A while ago I felt my watch was getting heavier and heavier. I first though it was me getting weaker (I am getting older) but then I heard of helium escaping from watches due to a faulty helium valve.

I went to my watchmaker and he checked my watch. I was right. The helium had escaped – thus making the watch heavier. My watchmaker remedied it by installing a new valve and then attaching a special valve “contraption” and filled it up with the right amount of helium again. It is supposed to be around 5 psi and mine was down below 1 psi. No wonder it felt heavy! The refill including a new valve was only 400 USD.

I have long thought it strange that when going to certain watchmakers – hearing their high pitched voices but as my watchmaker said – sitting in that environment all day with gases silently escaping – it affects you.

He also had a tip – and that is what I forward to you all. When buying your Omega or Rolex – or any brand and model with a helium valve – weigh it the first you do and then check it from time to time.

Here is a list of what they weigh with and without helium (5 psi, with bracelet – all links)

Sea-Dweller 148 g and with no helium = 197 g

Submariner 129 g vs 174 g

Omega Planet Ocean 202 g vs 232 g (Omega only stipulate 4 psi)

Please continue this list as it can be of help for others.

Here it can be seen - the faulty valve. The watch heavy as lead.

[​IMG]

noelekal, rollmastr, Geezer and 36 others like this.
  2. Mr Bing Apr 25, 2016

Wow! I'm just a watch lover with limited knowledge and I had no idea this effected the weight. You learn something new every day.

Cheers.

watchme likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 25, 2016

That's why I'll stick to my Watchco Seamaster 300, I'm not paying $400 for something like that when I can use the money for more watches.

Besides, I'm used to the weight of my 300 now.

ralpher, red crowned and OMGRLX like this.
  4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Apr 25, 2016

Be careful of overcharging with helium. I had a Sea-Dweller that was over-filled, and it felt like a feather, like a plastic Swatch or some Richard Mille concoction... extremely disconcerting and more than a little emasculating. The damned thing used to slide off the nightstand like an air hockey puck with the slightest vibrations.

noelekal, Geezer, dougiedude and 26 others like this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2016

We discussed this at a recent Minneapolis Redbar gathering held at the local Rolex AD here. They want $600. for the same service, plus tax :eek:
    That's a lot, but if you just leave air in it, it can affect corrosion over time, depending on the humidity in the watch :(

6. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 25, 2016

There are watchmakers that get off on the helium and get carried away - pumping them up to 10 psi. That is what must have been the case with yours.

noelekal, lando and ralpher like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 25, 2016

Think that's why SINN went to oil filled in their divers

Foo2rama, Thrasher36, vitriol and 2 others like this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 25, 2016

I hardly think that's the watch companies fault. They calculate the correct volume and pressure for your watch/bracelet combo. If you change to a strap you alter the dynamics of the watch, so it's actually a user error.

noelekal, studeb and mr_yossarian like this.
  9. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 25, 2016

I'm headed to the Omega Botique as soon as I leave the office, and will have them check the helium in two of my watches. There's a potential health issue here if a watch is too heavy -- it could lead to a repetitive stress injury. Thanks @styggpyggeno1 for this critical heads-up.

noelekal, Thrasher36 and GaryUFM like this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2016

There was a big stink with the ECO crowd several years back when it was found that Sinn was using Whale oil. Cost them a lot of Euro business until they announced they switched to synthetic.

noelekal, dougiedude and Thrasher36 like this.
  11. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Apr 25, 2016

It was on a NATO. I'm an idiot.

ralpher likes this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 25, 2016

Don't be too hard on yourself. Lots of watch owners know just the basics and never even think about the detail or read instructions that come with the watch.

ralpher likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Apr 25, 2016

....... yet another reason I don't like dive watches and will only own Seikos for that purpose. The Japanese simply do NOT mess around with inert gases.

Foo2rama, ralpher, Halldawg and 2 others like this.
  14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Apr 25, 2016

Heard about a guy who had his PloProf charged with nitrogen by accident. They over-pressurized it, the nitrogen went liquid, and the watch shattered like glass.

ralpher, George.A and Nobel Prize like this.
  15. ulackfocus Apr 25, 2016

Okay, now you're pulling our legs. :cautious:

[​IMG]

ErichPryde, Thrasher36, Kmart and 5 others like this.
  16. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 25, 2016

Hey, this is going off topic fast. Please add your Omega watch weight - there are a lot of Omega: s with valves and that would be a service this site could contribute.

ErichPryde and Radiozoop like this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2016

No you are not ( OK, maybe you are, but not because of that:D)
    My then watch maker, Lenny Smolowitz, for a long time told me I just needed to loosen my Oyster band, because of wrist pain that my MD described a Carpel Tunnel. He was a master with Rolex and I never questioned it :(

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2016

Right, they just kill the whales regardless :(

Thrasher36 and Wools like this.
  19. ConElPueblo Apr 25, 2016

$400 will seem like good value in the future. With Omega and others restricting parts + equipment to only a select few watchmakers, this will be impossible to remedy at independants! You'll have to send your watch to Omega for repairs then = big money :(

20. dialstatic Apr 25, 2016

I worry more about the effect of the 1996 law that stipulated that the US National Helium Reserve – by far the biggest store of helium in the world – had to be sold off by 2015 irrespective of market price. It's only a matter of time now before this leads to further list price increases for dive watches.