Forums Latest Members
  1. bdp Mar 10, 2020

Got these the other day so off to Melbourne today.
    As they say, it all starts here!
    Given that China is cancelled, Bahrain has no spectators and given recent developments I hope Melbourne (although it can be a procession) is not the only one this year!!!
    Its upside down because we are downunder

thumbnail_WP_20200311_001.jpg

vbrad26 likes this.
  2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 10, 2020

That's not quite correct. The FIA scrutinised the Ferrari powerplant several times towards the end of the season, and found it to be fully compliant.

vbrad26 and Vercingetorix like this.
  3. vbrad26 Mar 11, 2020

So what's the problem then? lol
    The fact that FIA was not transparent about the situation (nor Ferrari I suppose) and the other teams are upset with that?

4. vbrad26 Mar 12, 2020

5. texasmade Mar 12, 2020

Brawn said that if a team wasn't allowed to participate then the race wouldn't count but this is a voluntary withdrawal so I wonder what the FIA is going to do.

6. MRC Mar 12, 2020

BBC 's Andrew Benson says it is off. 4am in Oz so expect nothing official for a few hours.

7. vbrad26 Mar 12, 2020

Yeah everything I'm seeing is that it is canceled.
    Above I mentioned the Indycar race, well that was canceled shortly after I posted that lol.
    Well, the race has not been officially canceled since the official press conference is in 30 min.
    But they had already said that the public would not be allowed to attend, but with everything that has happened in the last few hours, I would be surprised if it is NOT canceled.

8. Evitzee Mar 12, 2020

I think most sporting organizations will have to have a great big * (asterisk) on this season's results, you can't go around cancelling events and have the results stack up to the standard measurements of any particular sport. Overreaction imvho, but it is what it is.

9. speedydownunder Mar 12, 2020

Still not official here in Oz at 0700 but in the current climate it does not surprise me.

Guess I will be cancelling my flights to Melbourne. Also had a drive day at Philip Island which will also have to be binned.

Read overnight some accounts of medical colleagues dealing with critically unwell (and young) virus affected patients in Seattle.

Troubling times..

studeb likes this.
  10. speedydownunder Mar 12, 2020

Conflicting news here in Oz at present.

Now 0700. Track Marshalls arriving at Albert Park after receiving sms at 0600 from race organisers saying Friday practice will proceed as planned.

::popcorn::

vbrad26 likes this.
  11. vbrad26 Mar 12, 2020

For the Indy race, the race WILL go on. However, it will be spectator free.

12. MRC Mar 12, 2020

BBC radio is scheduled to have a one hour discussion of the status at 2020-03-12 21:00 UTC.

Radio 5 on MW and DAB in the UK, live on the internet if you have or create a BBC "account" https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000g3ng and as a podcast through the same page an hour or so later.

Edited Mar 12, 2020
  13. texasmade Mar 12, 2020

So the race is back on?

14. MRC Mar 12, 2020

Jenny Gow "F1 is in a bit of a muddle."

"Andrew Benson is on the phone in his bedroom trying to find out what's going on."

"No-one in F1 has had much sleep"

Jolyon Palmer: ""But we haven't been told it's cancelled."

Jenny: "Questions in all areas."

I'll update through edits.

21:40 UTC

Lewis Hamilton: "It's shocking that we're here."

Andrew: "F1 Through the Looking-Glass here."

Believes race is off, but legal complications at the moment. Has some info he can't disclose.

Vettel & Raikonnen have flown home.

21:45

Chase Carey is now in Melbourne (from Vietnam)

21:50

Jenny: "Who loses out the most financially?"
    Jack Clarkson: "The lesser teams."

Andrew: "My latest understanding is that if the race goes ahead, it's highly unlikely that all the teams will run."

Jolyon: "I don't want to go back to the paddock now."

21:55

Andrew: "My understanding is that the race is cancelled even if the FIA won't admit it." (Mentions stalling in public while background legal/financial issues are sorted out)

Andrew: "It's an absolute farce."

Jolyon: "If you're listening on the podcast it's totally out of date. Sorry."

FYI These are the people who do the audio commentary for the F1 Live Timing apps. Should have as good sources as anyone else (or better?).

Edited Mar 12, 2020
    zizzi likes this.
  15. kwakjoe Mar 12, 2020

I heard only the Aus GP is cancelled, did they release a official statement saying the whole season is cancelled?

16. redpcar Mar 12, 2020

upload_2020-3-12_18-0-2.png

17. MRC Mar 12, 2020

Only an official statement in the past few minutes that the Oz GP is cancelled. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...0-australian-grand.KKpXZDcd77WbO6T0MGoO7.html

I can't see anyone cancelling the season at this point in the uncertainty. Don't forget what the White Rabbit said: "Follow the Money".

18. Martin_J_N Mar 13, 2020

What a farce, F1 and FIA believe the GP is on, yet one team has pulled out, two drivers have flown home and fans start arriving at the gates believing that the race is on as nothing to contradict that belief has been announced. Clearly a case of F1 rulers sticking their heads in the sand and hoping that the problem will go away and the cash will continue to roll in.

So, Australia cancelled, China cancelled, Bahrain is going to be cancelled as McLaren will still be in isolation, Vietnam is prohibiting anyone from Europe from entering the country at present so that is going to be cancelled. Why not just cancel F1 this year or at least the first 8 races and then see what the state of the world is at the end of May?

19. vbrad26 Mar 13, 2020

They really fumbled this one.
    If the team member from McLaren had not tested positive I think this would have gone a totally different way.

The Indy Car race is still happening this weekend but will have no spectators.
    Had someone from the Indy camp tested positive for the virus I bet they would have canceled the whole thing too.

20. Martin_F Mar 13, 2020

Let's hope they don't find out half way through...

vbrad26 likes this.