Forums Latest Members

Exploded battery. Some good news.

1. lillatroll Jul 28, 2020

In December last year the renata battery in my omega TC1 exploded rendering my watch broken. I wrote to Renata and explained what had happened. They initially denied any responsibility and basically told me tough luck.

I then wrote to swatch who arranged to have the watch looked at and possibly repaired. No go they sent the watch back saying that they could not fix the watch and without the original receipt they could do nothing in the way of of compensation. Good bye and good luck.

I was still not happy with this so I wrote to Swatch again and eventually got another email from Renata saying they would be happy to give a goodwill payment of upto 750 euro for a replacement watch of my choice,and all I had to do was provide a copy of the original invoice, and I could keep my TC1.I felt this was the best offer I was going to get so I accepted it.

Anyway I decided that I would get the Hamilton PSR limited edition watch as it is cool looking, in my opinion at least, and similar in spirit to the TC1 it is replacing. I am still waiting for the watch to arrive, I paid in full on ordering it and received the money from Renata.
    Although I am sad that my TC1 is buggered, I am happy that Renata came good in the end and sorted my problem, even if I did have to send quite a few emails to different parts of the Swatch Organisation and nag a bit. On the scale of things it cost them very little money but they have earned a huge amount of good will from my side.
    Looking forward to getting my new watch when it arrives.

Edited Jul 28, 2020
  2. killer67 Jul 28, 2020

Surprised to hear a conglomerate offering such goods service. You getting the stainless or pvd gold PSR?

lillatroll likes this.
  3. lillatroll Jul 28, 2020

I went for the gold version. I think it evokes the 70s vibe a bit more than the stainless steel version.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. killer67 Jul 28, 2020

The same one I would have chosen. It’s very Buck Rogers

lillatroll likes this.
  5. w@tcher Jul 28, 2020

Good news for you!
    I wouldn't expect anyone to receive any compensation from a battery provider company.
    There are many conditions and restrictions that are referred to all the manuals of the batteries, that the products are not covered by warranty due to many varied conditions (temperature, humidity, wrong use, etc...)

lillatroll likes this.
  6. Engee Jul 28, 2020

It’s upsetting that to win in the situations you must be persistent. It’s clear Renata chose to test your resilience rather than hold their hands up to the issue. It was only when the parent company told them to compensate that they did. I feel for the people who lack the confidence to push in these situations and walk away taking an expensive hit for something When others are compensated.

lillatroll likes this.
  7. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jul 28, 2020

Great result. I wasn't aware of the Hamilton PSR until now.... Dammit!!! Somebody has finally nailed it with a recreation of one of these seventies leds! I want one!!!

lillatroll likes this.
  8. lillatroll Jul 28, 2020

Yes it is a bit of retro fun. The original cost 2100usd, so you could get 10 Rolex submarines for the price of one of these. Mindblowing to think about, it was 18k gold, but still, I bet you could buy 10 pulsar tc1s for the price of one 1973 rolex subs' today.

Tet likes this.
  9. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jul 28, 2020

I always dreamt of owning one of these when I was a kid but no way in hell my parents were gonna get me one. Have always intended to get an Omega TC but to be honest I'm less sure I want to risk one these days so this would be a good compromise.

lillatroll likes this.
  10. Stripey Jul 28, 2020

First of all, sorry to hear about the original explosion - that must hurt losing that TC1. Second, I like the PSR - I also thought about a Pulsomatic for a bit - I like the fact it is self powered.

lillatroll likes this.
  11. iamnuts Jul 28, 2020

lillatroll likes this.
  12. lillatroll Jul 28, 2020

I can get a replacement movement for my tc1 the biggest gripe I had was that the replacement movement will not be an original omega labled movement. They are not even expensive, around 100 euro. But I will know it's not an original watch and it would bother me from a collector point of view. I will get it fixed and gift it to my nephew or niece. I already gave him a constellation f300 so maybe I will offer it to my niece first.

13. lillatroll Jul 28, 2020

Yes it's an easy and cheap fix. Around 100 euro.