Forums Latest Members

Hopefully Very Good News About Vaccination for Covid

1. Marsimaxam Nov 9, 2020

Spruce likes this.
  2. Professor Nov 9, 2020

There is also a new nasal spray said to prevent Covid from attacking cells. Its been successful in animal trials. They hope to use this to treat anyone who can't tolerate a vaccination, and since it requires little or no refrigeration it can be used in third world settings.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  3. JwRosenthal Nov 9, 2020

Let’s not forget this is coming from the company that was developing a revolutionary cardiac medication and they found in trials that it increased blood-flow to a different region of the body
    8E3B3F58-AFEB-4279-9665-5B9DBE994A4B.jpeg

We’re still waiting for that heart med.

Wetworks, Thrasher36 and Zapatta like this.
  4. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Nov 9, 2020

Highly placed governmental sources say Dec. 1st front line personnel will receive the vaccine. Starting March/April the first dose vaccine will be available (400 million doses). Working out the mass vaccine methodology as we speak.

wagudc and 89-0 like this.
  5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 9, 2020

They, uh, got distracted for a few hours...

ConElPueblo, Huus and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. kcgunner Nov 9, 2020

I hope you're right!

wagudc likes this.
  7. Huus Nov 9, 2020

If true I hope to be dancing as ecstatically as Jerry, Elaine and George. But that was a comedy.

8. Walrus Nov 9, 2020

The safety reports looked ok but more info needs to be gathered. I’ll be cautiously optimistic but I think more info is needed. I think this is the same deal that includes 300 million doses for Europe. Let’s hope it’s a good thing we all need some good news we had covid exposure at work last week that threw the whole operation into a tizzy and had me working 12-14 hours a day with limited info from administration as they were going into CYA mode. One line they tried on me was “well you were off the night of the possible exposure so you are probably ok.” I know it’s not good to laugh at the higher ups but I couldn’t contain myself. They dropped that approach and just told me they were limited as to what they could say as someone’s personal health info is involved (an employee) I told them I can accept and understand that. My job puts me at an increased risk and I accept that. Just keep the BS to a minimum. Fortunately I got everyone tested, all negative and the one positive case is just “feeling like crap” for the past week with no hospitalization required. Hopefully she stays that way.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  9. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Nov 9, 2020

It (Vitamin V) is actually also used to treat pulmonary hypertension in addition to it’s more commonly known use.

Wetworks likes this.
  10. wagudc Nov 9, 2020

Looks promising, but must be stored at -80°C. That will cause some logistical challenges.

lexieb007 and marco like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 10, 2020

Until they expose people to COVID that have taken the vaccine its 90% means nothing.
    80% of the 90% might have not have got it anyway as they weren’t exposed to it.

We are going to hear a lot of claims that may not be realistic in the long run.

Thrasher36, Zapatta and marco like this.
  12. wagudc Nov 10, 2020

It was a fairly large (n~44,000) placebo-controlled trial. They can estimate the efficacy by comparing infection rate in vaccinated group to control group. There was an approximate 10-fold reduction in the infection rate. Thus, the estimate of 90% effective.

kkt, dougiedude and marco like this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 10, 2020

What does 90 per cent 'effective' mean?
    It sounds pretty good, hey?

But the vaccine's 'efficacy' doesn't measure how well it stops the SARS-CoV-2 virus entering a vaccinated person's body.

Instead, it's a measure of stopping — or at least reducing the severity of — COVID-19.

And this vaccine, apparently, lowers your chances of getting sick by 90 per cent, compared to someone who hasn't been vaccinated.

Kylie Quinn, a vaccine expert at RMIT University, told ABC News: "If you had 10 people who you knew were going to be infected ... and you vaccinated those people before they were exposed, nine out of those 10 people would not develop (COVID-19)."

If you want to get technical (and who doesn't?!), vaccine efficacy and vaccine effectiveness are slightly different terms.

Vaccine efficacy is calculated through clinical trials, like the Pfizer/BioNTech trial. Vaccine effectiveness is measured out in the real world, once the vaccine has been approved for use in the general population.

To calculate the more-than-90-per-cent efficacy figure for BNT162b2, an external committee examined how many of the 94 infected individuals were vaccinated and how many received the placebo (a saline injection).

But the published results are a little light on detail. The announcement was made via press release — not a peer-reviewed journal paper — and it did not include the vaccine/placebo breakdown of infected participants.

The efficacy of the vaccine may change over time, too.

Dr Quinn says there's still a little way to go before the trial wraps up.

"This is the interim analysis of 94 patients. The study closes out at 164 individuals who have become symptomatic," Dr Quinn says.

"So we're not far enough."

akshayluc420 and Wetworks like this.
  14. wagudc Nov 10, 2020

I agree that it is not time to celebrate the end of the pandemic, but these results are certainly encouraging. I am not sure what point you were trying to make, but no vaccine prevents a virus from entering the body. Perhaps you mean that some vaccines may prevent a virus from establishing itself and reproducing in the body. An important unkown fact is if vaccinated individuals can be asymptomatic carriers and transmit the virus to others. Regardless, a vaccine that can reduce the rate of illness by 90% is great, provided it is safe.

Archer likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 10, 2020

Encouraging yes, but a press release non the less. Which we are going to see a lot of in the early stages of many many companies trials.

Efficacy and Effective difference was my point

Spacefruit, Zapatta and wagudc like this.
  16. lexieb007 Nov 10, 2020

Considering medical science is still not sure about how immunity is developed to COVID-19 ..is it mainly T-cell?...I think this news is better than no news at all...

wagudc likes this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 10, 2020

Its gonna be a while. Mask up! Hospitals are overloading and we are all going back into restriction. Hopeful news but we have a long way to go.

18. Shay Jan 4, 2021

Has anyone had the vaccination yet?

19. Walrus Jan 4, 2021

Yes there are a number here who got it and reported it was quite similar to the flu vax in side effects. I get mine tomorrow night at 5:40 I will give an update won’t know which one I’m getting till I get there but it sounds like it’s gonna be the Moderna one

Rudi99, lexieb007 and Shabbaz like this.
  20. Shay Jan 4, 2021

Where are you based? In UK it seems it is a bit slow, it might take months before I get mine maybe 2022.