Expert Opinion on Seamaster 2849-3

Good evening, this is my first post on OF. I am looking to see if I can get an opinion on this 2849-3. I want to ensure the dial appears original and the case isn’t over-polished. It doesn’t look like the correct crown for the reference, but I may be incorrect. Thanks!

Welcome to OF.

The dial appears to be original at first glance, but badly damaged. It's possible that someone has tried to clean it at some point and it may be relumed. The case (and bezel) is substantially polished. Not the original crown. The movement may have a mix of finishes, but it's hard to be sure from that photo.

It's a tired example, but if you find it appealing, there's no reason you can't enjoy wearing it at the right price. It would not be easy to sell, however.
Edited:

Very polished and very damaged/aged dial and movement.

Maybe it's the poor pictures?

Thanks for the feedback! The pictures are certainly low quality. The seller is asking $580. I have a difficult time differentiating between “patina” and actual damage. Ive been wanting a vintage Seamaster and was originally looking for a 168.024 or 166.010. I was intrigued by this listing because of the price, but will probably continue on that search and look for a cleaner, more original example.

I have a difficult time differentiating between “patina” and actual damage.
It's very simple. If you find it attractive, it's patina. There is no technical difference.

It's very simple. If you find it attractive, it's patina. There is no technical difference.

...But patina seems to sell better...patina = higher asking price, damage not so much...

Thanks for the feedback! The pictures are certainly low quality. The seller is asking $580. I have a difficult time differentiating between “patina” and actual damage. Ive been wanting a vintage Seamaster and was originally looking for a 168.024 or 166.010. I was intrigued by this listing because of the price, but will probably continue on that search and look for a cleaner, more original example.

166.010s/168.024s feel very different. Yes, a good example will be a few hundred dollars more, but they’re also very common and easy to find. Safe up for a while until your budget allows you to get what you want, and in a few years you won’t remember the time you spent without a watch - you will, however, still look at your wrist and smile.