Forums Latest Members
  1. MJKauz Nov 30, 2019

Hello again to OF,

I'm just curious where vintage engraved case backs land in terms of price and collectability? I assume that engraved case backs negatively impact value, except in special circumstances (Drive Carefully, Me or M. Brando aren't coming up for sale at my price point any time... well, ever). Are there folks that collect them regardless?

As I continue my search for the start of my collection branching off of my pocket watch collection inherited from my grandfather. Unsurprisingly you see a lot of engraved or monogrammed pocket watches and my grandfather's last article for the NAWCC, published just 8 months before his death, featured a Hamilton that he reunited with the family of the original owner.

As I wear a silver ID bracelet that I found at an antique mall and tracked back to the original owner, I was wondering if anyone else out there has a soft spot for engraved pieces.

Edited Nov 30, 2019
  2. gefmey Nov 30, 2019

I think a well done engraving that places the watch in a particular place or time adds to the watches history. I don't necessarily think it adds value unless it's a famous name. I collect Great War watches especially those with places, dates, etc. that give it a special relevance. One of mine is engraved "The World War 1917", another "December 25, 1917" On the other hand, a poorly done engraving does detract IMHO.

MJKauz likes this.
  3. MJKauz Nov 30, 2019

Agreed on the not adding value aspect. I’m curious how much most collectors would feel it detracts. I actually almost bought a Tudor Submariner recently because the initials on the back were the same as my grandfathers and I thought the low price was because of the engraving but after reading the description I realized it was because the dial was repainted so I decided to steer clear.

I love the world war story though, and the Christmas piece. It’s the added depth and context of the watch that I love.

The man that bought the rest of my grandfathers collection once said to me “we are the caretakers for the next generation” and I feel like engravings are a tangible reminder that these watches have outlived their first life with that owner and will outlive us as well if we care for them.

I’d love to see some of those pieces with engravings if you’d share.

4. Evitzee Nov 30, 2019

It depends on the particular piece, the age, the inscription. Generally the older the piece the less important it becomes to the value. I wouldn't want a new Rolex with an inscription, but one from the 40's, tastefully done, no problem.

I have a 14k Gruen Curvex 'Trooper' that has an engraving from Christmas 1944. The world is deep in WWII yet a father was able to gift his son a solid gold watch, adds a lot of dimension to the piece's history. Dad and Frank are long gone, but 75 years later the watch lives on. So it is certainly not a distraction for me, plus it is a nicely executed engraving.

gruentrooper.jpg gruentrooper4.jpg
    Edited Nov 30, 2019
    Edward53, 787Geoff and MJKauz like this.
  5. MJKauz Nov 30, 2019

That’s a gorgeous watch, evitzee. My dad’s name is Frank, as was his father’s. Let me know if you ever are interested in letting it go. Very neat to imagine the place and time of that watch.

Was it John Goldberger who had a Christmas gift watch in his Talking Watches? I recall someone had one but I can’t watch them again at the moment.

6. gefmey Nov 30, 2019

Here's the back of one of them. there other nice ones are at the watchmaker.
    IMG_2856.jpg

Edward53 and MJKauz like this.
  7. MJKauz Nov 30, 2019

Super interesting, gefmey. That style of engraving seems to be common for that period, right? Very graphic.

8. gefmey Nov 30, 2019

Probably basic jewelers engraving but as was done in the period, very neat.

MJKauz likes this.
  9. RCAFBuster Nov 30, 2019

I have a neat 1948 Elgin Deluxe watch that falls under the Royal Canadian Air Force. Presented to Pete Leichnitz who was a team member of the RCAF Flyers. they represented Canada at the 1948 Winter Olympics in St. Moritz and won the Gold Ice Hockey championships.

Cheers,

Buster

1948 Elgin Deluxe 558 (1).jpg 1948 elgin Deluxe 558 a (6).jpg

DaveK, mac_omega and MJKauz like this.
  10. MJKauz Nov 30, 2019

That’s awesome. A unique reason for an engraved watch.

The RCAF reminded me of a hot ticket item that I’ve been looking for a good example of (if I can afford it): the PAF Railmaster. But those were more of a matter-of-fact engraving and not a personalization.