Ed White 105.003-65: an auction experience today!

Hi Forumfolks!

I have just finished an auction that i have followed since they released info about it.
There were over 1000 lots, and among them around 20 watches maybe..
And it was in Germany, I do think some of you folks have seen the watch?
And there was a Speedmaster with very little info, they stated it was "probably 1970s", no ref nr!
And the starting bid was 1500€ which was really low...(but you know auction houses!)
Looking at the few fotos it looked like an Ed White, so I got curious and started mailing them for more pictures and answers, and asked them regarding the movement, pushers/crown and funktion of the watch.
Anyway..
I got pictures, and asked for more pictures, and more...and more...

After looking and comparing these pictures with others here on the forum and on other sites (Speedmaster 101😀), and trying to set a value on the watch, regarding pros and cons-
I decided that I would bid on the watch.

And I wanted to do the bidding directly with the auction house, so it had to be by phone.
I set this with the office manager they have, and it was ok.
And trying to get going with my work, the on-line bidding was showing on the screen.

So about 5 min before the lot came up, I got the call from them and we talked a bit regarding the auction and details etc.

I had in my mind already a limit at 7000€ plus the premium of 25%!
And then the bidding started, and i went on for a while, and even up over my limit to 7500€.
But there was one who didn't give up, so he (or she) got it for 8000€ plus premium!!
Maybe somebody here??

It was really exiting doing this although i missed out on the watch.
There were a few things that made me not go more on the bidding.

Attaching fotos so you guys out there can have a look, and please do comment about the watch,
and if I did the right or wrong thing here??

Looking forward to your comments- cheers!!

Erhhm.. sorry if the writing isn't top-notch, I am a Scandinavian!
🙄

First of all, thanks a lot for your post. It's an entertaining read and I'm curious to see the responses to this, as I'm not an EW expert. Would you mind sharing what were the few things that not made you continue the bidding?

That's a very nice EW.
The dial looks good even with those poor quality photos.
I feel you stopped short of it's potential.

Well...
The pros (that i think):
Nice movement, but no service record (not a big deal)
A nice and clean dial, I asked the expert of the auction house to check with a loupe
Looks like original pushers and crown
Nr 6 endlinks

The cons (in my opinion!):
the bezel is not in a good shape
the crystal has "bumps" and is a replacement (not a bid deal)
the clasp needs to be replaced (attaching another picture) and the bracelet is tired
subdial secondhand has some brownish marks

And i also had to ad on 800€ for shipping from them to me above everything..
🙁

Right now I have mixed feelings since I think the watch could be nice with a service, a new clasp and maybe go hunting for a bezel..
But that was added up in my budget, so for now - no new Ed White....

800€ shipping sounds nuts.
The dial and hands are very attractive, so is the case. Not sure if it was a good deal with the bezel and f-Ed up clasp. Too much work there. Maybe others know more.

Overall, it needs a little TLC here and there, but the core components are very nice.

the clasp is really messed up, almost looks intentional. i'd like to hear it's story.

Nice piece for the price, even with the banged up clasp. Love the paint drops on the bezel.

Exiting post, thanks for that 😀
Always hard to decide your limit and where to give up. 8000 x 1,25+800 = 10800 + service is not a bargain but still quite ok for this imao.

The dial and hands look very attractive and the bezel in my opinion is quite nice as well. The biggest downside as I can see is the case which looks to be quite overpolished from the photos .

Keep hunting 😉

800€ shipping sounds nuts.
The dial and hands are very attractive, so is the case. Not sure if it was a good deal with the bezel and f-Ed up clasp. Too much work there. Maybe others know more.

I know that the price for shipping was a bit high, but the watch had to be insured, and that took a large part, it was 8% value of the watch.

Exiting post, thanks for that 😀
Always hard to decide your limit and where to give up. 8000 x 1,25+800 = 10800 + service is not a bargain but still quite ok for this imao.

The dial and hands look very attractive and the bezel in my opinion is quite nice as well. The biggest downside as I can see is the case which looks to be quite overpolished from the photos .

Keep hunting 😉

Thanks @Kapka,
and I had to go to the next level - 8500€, to maybe get it, and you never know if someone goes even higher!
But that's the charm with auctions...😀

And I also think that the case was on the con-side!
Attaching a picture that I did not post before.

Nice piece for the price, even with the banged up clasp. Love the paint drops on the bezel.

@stonestone: the round marks on the bezel are actually enamel/paint that has been chipped away..
🙁

Very nice looking Speedmaster chronograph with what looks like time-period patina dial & hands !
Reminds me of the day we finally found out, astronauts on Gemini III and Gemini IV actually wore a 105.003-63
Ages ago I had an Ed White EVA scale model made with info plaque, and we all thought it had been a 105.003-64 🙁
Omega works in extremely slow ways revealing detailed information...
(Photo: MoonwatchUniverse)

the clasp is really messed up, almost looks intentional. i'd like to hear it's story.

On Ebay, they would call that clasp "expertly refinished."

Guys, I know it too late now, but i found a clasp that could have been nice??
🙁
Not exactly correct, but it could have worked maybe??

Well, if the buyer is here that person will be contacting you pretty soon for that clasp. 😉