Ebay item damaged in shipping, seller refuses to refund

WARNING: no watch content, apologies in advance

Hi all,

I bought an amplifier off Ebay and it arrived wrapped in a single sheet of bubble wrap inside a flimsy reused amazon box. Surprise, surprise the amplifier was dented up, the remote was completely smashed, and a power cable prong was all bent up. I started a refund stating that the item was not as described and arrived damaged. The listing title stated that the amp was in "perfect condition." The seller refuses to refund me. He says he does not accept returns, and it is the postal service's fault. He only offered to send me a new remote and cable. He says that the dents and dings don't affect the functioning of the unit.

I quoted him Ebay's Money back guarantee policy: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/...-money-back-guarantee-policy?id=4210#section3

"Sellers are required to deliver the item as it was described in the listing. If the buyer receives the wrong item, or the item arrives broken, damaged, or faulty (and was not clearly described as such), they are entitled to return it for a refund, even if the seller doesn't offer returns . . . If an item is being returned, the seller is responsible for return shipping."

His response was that it is Ebay's policy and not his. I guess he doesn't get that he agreed to this policy when he signed up as a seller. I assume this means that I have to wait the 3 business days to ask Ebay to step in and help. In the mean time is there anything else I can / should do? I paid with Paypal through Ebay so I should be covered. I assume I should wait to see what Ebay says before starting a claim with Paypal.

Thanks.
P8300272.JPG P83002672.JPG P8300274.JPG P8300273.JPG P8300270.JPG P8300267.JPG

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Just follow eBay’s protocols. Do not interact with the seller anymore. If you have filed the claim through the eBay system, they will take action after 3 days and most likely force the refund. Just put the box to the side exactly as it is and do nothing to it.

Just follow eBay’s protocols. Do not interact with the seller anymore. If you have filed the claim through the eBay system, they will take action after 3 days and most likely force the refund. Just put the box to the side exactly as it is and do nothing to it.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

I know your first inclination to to tell the seller he’s a massive piece of shit, he can shove this amp up his ass and you hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest his underwear- but resist those urges

Get a condition statement from somebody, who saw the condition after unpacking. Just in case ...

I know your first inclination to to tell the seller he’s a massive piece of shit, he can shove this amp up his ass and you hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest his underwear- but resist those urges
Too late. 😂

Wait until you get your money back and then mail him a box of spiders! 🕷️🕸️😲 😁

Just kidding, I'm a little annoyed but mostly I think he just doesn't get the subtler points of selling on eBay.

Get a condition statement from somebody, who saw the condition after unpacking. Just in case ...

I videoed opening the package and took lots of photos afterwards. I am concerned that when I ship it back it will get damaged further. Do I need to get better packaging for it?

I videoed opening the package and took lots of photos afterwards. I am concerned that when I ship it back it will get damaged further. Do I need to get better packaging for it?
Sending it back in a similarly crappy method of packing isn't what I'd do. Pack it properly to minimize further damage.

Sending it back in a similarly crappy method of packing isn't what I'd do. Pack it properly to minimize further damage.
Agree, no chance to blame you for damage then.
Use foam/bubble wrap and sturdy box.
Seller should be paying for shipping so don't skimp on packaging.

You also do not ship without a RMA, you shouldn’t pick up the tab for this. Many times if the piece isn’t high value, they seller will end up forgoing the return shipping and just issue the refund as the cost of getting it back is just insult to injury.

If you want to slap another layer of used bubble on it, sure- but I wouldn’t spend a penny on the return shipping. He can get fυcked.

Wait until you get your money back and then mail him a box of spiders! 🕷️🕸️😲 😁
A friend once mailed his slumlord a box of roaches. Very satisfying. Nowadays people just send busted amps when they want to send a message.

I’d send it back packed correctly. Box in a box always.

As the seller is gentleman, keep in mind that the return of the item is mainly his responsability and that if he is unable to organise the return you should first get him to pay for the return either through PayPal or Bank before returning the item. If he does not comply, you should get back to eBay and complain. With such a gentleman, you will probably end up with a refund and the damaged item. The devil is in the details...

I would also open up a protest with PayPal and then escalate it.

A PayPal squeeze concentrates and focuses the mind.

Here is an update. The seller finally sent the shipping label. He sent 25 private messages trying to browbeat me into accepting his proposed solution along with several other messages through the return request. I kept professional and only responded with the essential information. His final message had a more threatening tone. He wasn't threatening violence, but more along the lines that he was going to hold me responsible for any additional damage, blah, blah blah. I reported the message to Ebay as threatening and sighted the 25 messages as harassment. The next day I got the response that the seller had accepted the return. I wrapped the amplifier in foam padding and bubble wrap and put it inside the box he sent it in. Then I put that box inside a much larger box with two layers of a super heavy duty bubble wrap. The total cost of shipping both ways will be about 70% of the sale price.

Hopefully he doesn't try to cause more trouble. He has clearly taken it personally. I will be happy to wash my hands of the whole situation.

I would also open up a protest with PayPal and then escalate it.

A PayPal squeeze concentrates and focuses the mind.
Yeah but if you involve PayPal in dispute resolution EBay will take a step back. I'd see it through with EBay.