Forums Latest Members

eBay announces watch authenticity guarantee

1. SkunkPrince Sep 9, 2020

Edited Sep 10, 2020
  2. apsm100 applysome! Sep 9, 2020

I've never had a promotional video make me so sad.

Scarecrow Boat and DaveK like this.
  3. michael22 Sep 9, 2020

After tampering with the watch, they install a tamperproof tape.

More likely, ebay have found a way of taking a bigger cut of the expensive watch business.

kkt likes this.
  4. SkunkPrince Sep 9, 2020

Since they say it there's no additional charge... I suspect they are saving themselves money by not having to refund selling fees for watches that have been claimed to be "inauthentic".

5. michael22 Sep 9, 2020

I believe they were speaking to buyers, & assumed they would be charging the seller a fee.

Edit: relistened " ebay covers the cost..." I may have been wrong, but am very cynical.

6. Meme-Dweller Sep 9, 2020

Count me out. I can't stand damage to the back of the lugs from bracelet removal and install, and I have a feeling the eBay folks are not the careful watchmaker type, as you can see from the tool in his hand. They even claimed it was to see the serial, but it's not a 5 digit Rolex!

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  7. SkunkPrince Sep 9, 2020

They are actually lowering the fees!

michael22 likes this.
  8. SkunkPrince Sep 9, 2020

That's one heck of an assumption to make.

Not that I think they need defending, per se, but assumptions....

9. michael22 Sep 9, 2020

Time will tel, sounds like I am wrong.

10. Meme-Dweller Sep 9, 2020

You can see the tool they use (instead of the tweezer-lookin' type) and the way the bracelet was reinstalled with fingers depressing the spring bars. That's gonna scratch from the spring bar as well as the tabs sliding upwards along the lug. I would be pissed if I bought a new with stickers watch and that happened.

11. Dan S Sep 9, 2020

At this point, there is no indication they will be charging a fee to buyers or sellers. However, it's fair to speculate that this could happen in the future. It concerns me that the multi-point inspection seems quite invasive, including removing the bracelet and also inspecting the movement. I suppose this isn't much different than a consignment site like Crown and Caliber would do, but frankly I would never consider buying or selling through them either.

michael22 likes this.
  12. SkunkPrince Sep 9, 2020

I get you, and if the jackholes making the video are the same jackholes doing the work, you'd be 100% correct.

Never trust a marketing person, though.

13. michael22 Sep 9, 2020

True, but how else would it be done properly?

14. Marsimaxam Sep 9, 2020

I don't think this is a bad thing, but a step in the right direction and obviously a sound business decision. How many of you here have posted that you wouldn't buy a watch on eBay because of potential fraud. Other online companies also do authentication, StockX I believe is one, and they authenticate everything from watches to purses to Yeezys.
    I'd say give it a chance before passing judgement.

Tommy B and levkov like this.
  15. Dan S Sep 9, 2020

That's true, and I suspect this is how they have been doing it for the past couple of years for sellers enrolled in the voluntary program.

michael22 likes this.
  16. michael22 Sep 9, 2020

From voluntary, to involuntary, too.....expensive.
    It could add value in some cases.
    It looks too flash & expensive to not be charged for at some point.

17. Dan S Sep 9, 2020

It doesn't bother me so much as a buyer, frankly, since the risk is pretty small. Maybe they might have trouble authenticating a watch, in which case it kills the deal (e.g. they don't have enough knowledge or can't open the case), which would be annoying, but the buyer doesn't lose money. Yes, there is a delay, but think of the lovely box that the buyer will received. ;)

It concerns me as a seller, and I won't be selling watches on eBay until I see how this shakes out. I just have too many unanswered questions about the process.

apsm100 and michael22 like this.
  18. SkunkPrince Sep 9, 2020

Remember it's for watches at a price more than $2000. I for one would never sell an expensive watch on eBay, authenticated or no.

19. michael22 Sep 9, 2020

Maybe you will in future? It's hard to tell how this will pan out, may make things better. As Dan says, wait & see.

20. Marsimaxam Sep 9, 2020

I was obviously responding to this as a buyer, as you were aware. I've never sold an expensive watch on eBay, but this could be a game changer as we wait and see how it all plays out.