Forums Latest Members

eBay announces watch authenticity guarantee

1. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 14, 2020

What will the authenticator have to say about this horror?

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 4.36.44 PM.png

2. gbesq Sep 14, 2020

Good Lord ...

Meme-Dweller likes this.
  3. wsfarrell Sep 14, 2020

1. "Omega" appears on the face of the watch--check.
    2. "Omega" appears on the movement--check.
    3. "Rolex" appears on the bracelet--check.

AUTHENTIC!

Waltesefalcon and Meme-Dweller like this.
  4. Dan S Sep 14, 2020

I don't mind at all if they want to have a look at this watch.

5. Ritzwatch Sep 14, 2020

"RARE One of a kind"---check.

kkt likes this.
  6. 140dave Feb 24, 2022

Update:
    As discussed (as a possibility) it is now an optional add-on for watches in the $1000-$1999 range. Buyer pays $80 to have the watch and accessories, authenticated. (Think they will catch a Repo #6 end link?!?)

From eBay:
    “On March 8, 2022, we’ll introduce “expert verification,” our new optional add-on authentication service. Expert verification will give buyers the option to have wristwatches priced between $1,000 and $1,999.99 authenticated by our third-party experts for a cost of $80. This opt-in service will be available for eligible US listings, as well as active listings on eBay.com, from qualified sellers in Japan, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, South Korea, and Italy.

When expert verification is added at checkout by a buyer, the seller is required to ship the item to our authentication partner who will conduct a multi-point inspection to verify that the watch is authentic and that the watch, accessories, and packaging are as described in the listing. Please make sure that you ship items to the authenticator as indicated in the shipping address if the buyer chooses this option for qualifying watches and check that you have listed your items in the correct categories.

Expert verification further enhances the shopping experience that today’s buyers want by giving them the option to add an additional layer of protection. It also gives you peace of mind by protecting you from fraudulent returns. If a watch with expert verification is returned, it will be sent to an independent expert authenticator to verify whether the return matches the item and condition in which it was originally sent.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

The eBay Selling Team”

7. Pvt-Public Feb 25, 2022

So now all the questionable watches will be priced at 999.99. And all the countries that most of the questionable watches come from are not included. This is just as big a joke as the “Authentication Service” is to begin with.

8. jaguar11 Feb 25, 2022

"One of a kind" I guess...

9. Dan S Feb 25, 2022

$80 for unpacking, authentication by a skilled expert, repacking in special eBay box/packaging, and shipping to buyer.

10. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Feb 25, 2022

Sometimes, there are positive stories to share as well... I've recently had a watch go through eBay's authenticity guarantee program in DE and have had a rather positive experience. The service was swift (turnaround time within 24 hours), the documentation provided was correct in every detail and the packaging the watch was forwarded in with is not just nicely looking, but sturdy too.

As the communication with the seller of the watch left things to desire, I was actually quite pleased to hear that eBay verified that what was promised in the ad had actually been sent. Not because I would not have been able to assess that, but because I would have had a somewhat harder time explaining something was wrong if it would have been. Luckily, all good, in this case.

EF3A452F-EF23-4F96-9DD5-A9BF1D584965_share.JPG

MtV likes this.
  11. QBranch Apr 18, 2022

Anybody used the eBay authentication recently and had a bad experience?