Forums Latest Members

Don't fall for a Fake vintage Omegas! Post them here (Not for questions)

1. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 2, 2016

Dial looks refinished.

186399-b20473b20f674040392b9e0c01f4dbae.jpg

LeifA likes this.
  2. LeifA Jan 4, 2016

Thanks guys. I just bought this today (from Craigslist). I paid $275 and a refinished dial doesn't bother me. However, I'm suspicious of the watch. The buyer was incredibly nice and it turns out we have a mutual friend. He offered a few times to meet at a watch repair/dealer/store of my choosing to authenticate the watch prior to purchase, but I felt really good about him and didn't feel the need to spend the extra money to verify its authenticity. We met in a parking lot this evening. It was dark so I couldn't inspect the watch well (nor do I have the expertise to inspect it). Now I'm looking at it in more detail and don't feel confident in its authenticity. Here's why... 1) There is no "Swiss Made" at below the 6. Do all vintage Seamasters have this? 2) The word "automatic" is all undercase. I haven't seen another 2828 that isn't all CAPS. 3) The luminescent markers seem to be different sizes and the ones on 7 and 8 look "melted" (for lack of a better word) - a byproduct of old age I suppose. Here's some better closeups. I'll admit this was somewhat of an impulse purchase. I've been wanting a vintage Omega for a while and this seemed like a deal.

What do you guys think? Is this genuine?

Looking forward to wearing my first Omega or learning from my stupid mistake.

Thanks,
    Leif

IMG_3886.JPG IMG_3888.JPG IMG_3891.JPG IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3890.JPG
  3. LeifA Jan 4, 2016

Also, the text of "Seamaster," especially the "m" seems way off.

4. redpcar Jan 4, 2016

All of your concerns are directed to the low cost refinished redial probably done in the '80s. You can have it done better if you like. Your hour hand is also broken off at the tip. Basically, have the dial redone and purchase some NOS hands from Ofrie. You will have a cosmetically appealing watch........errrr..........time piece ;)

LeifA likes this.
  5. LeifA Jan 4, 2016

Thanks for the quick reply! That is good news, glad to hear it! And yeah I'm transitioning from a Timex, so please excuse my terminology ;) haha - What should I expect that makeover to cost?

6. mac_omega Jan 5, 2016

1) The total costs also depend on wheter the movement needs a service or not (you can expect that it is overdue...) and so finally it will cost you more than the watch is worth...

2) Never again "buy a watch in the dark" ... :whipped:

3) Next time ask first before you buy or - even better - do your homework first!

I would not invest in this watch for re-dial or a correct winding crown - just have it cleaned and lubricated by an independent watchmaker and wear it as a daily beater - it will remind you every day on the points 2 - 3 (see above)...

See it as a noob-tax on a beginning steep learning curve -

and a warning: once the vintage bug has bitten you be carefull about your wallet!

LeifA likes this.
  7. LeifA Jan 5, 2016

It was serviced in 2013, so its got a bit hopefully. But thank you very much for the advice! Even though I overpaid for this and certainly wouldn't buy it again, I will chalk it up to experience and appreciate my humble beginning nonetheless. Thank you all for the feedback!!

8. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 5, 2016

You say a refinished dial doesn't bother you, then go on to list all your concerns, all of which pertain to the dial (Swiss Made, Automatic, lume plots), yet you were informed Sunday that it was a redial. Sometimes asking the questions beforehand isn't enough, you actually have to act on the answers. The main thing is you're happy to keep going :)

LeifA likes this.
  9. LeifA Jan 5, 2016

In my ignorance, I didn't seriously consider the possibility that redial work could be less than stellar haha. I realize most serious collectors would frown on my accepting refinished time pieces, and I might very well adopt that approach in the coming years, but I rather like the fresh look of a refinished vintage Omega...that is done WELL. So yes, it typically wouldn't bother me, but this poor job does. My fault. It was an inexpensive mistake for a valuable lesson. Thank you all.

redking likes this.
  10. LeifA Jan 5, 2016

And yes, very happy to keep going :thumbsup:

Tiny Iota likes this.
  11. Olle Jan 11, 2016

Is this a fake? The back plate looks so cheap.

1.jpg 2.jpg
  12. Perfetti Jan 16, 2016

Ignorance is bliss.
    I was happier when I was stupid. Now I'm just paranoid about two purchases I recently made.
    Aside from time and experience, what references can you suggest to get better informed and do some research for myself? (I don't have access to a physical library for some time to come, only the internet).
    I've done a lot of googling and read a lot of snippets that all say mostly the same thing in regards to identifying knock-offs, but most of them talk about speed/seamasters and don't really address the vintage models. This is the first place I came across that shows pictures of fakes, I was surprised to see that the knock-offs have been happening for so long, and that it appears counterfeiters (anyone ever notice that word breaks the "I before e..." rule?) are producing fake vintage.

13. night_watch Jan 28, 2016

Hello everyone. Stumbled upon this forum looking for a guide on how to tell fake vintage lady omegas. It would be Pointless even if I find one for I have no clue on what to look for. All I know is they are beautiful and I want to own one. I have been burnt several times on impulsively buying items on eBay and now careful not to do it again. If anybody have time; please help check this listing for a vintage omega. Thank you so much. http://www.ebay.com/itm/301857406561?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 28, 2016

Calling our resident vintage ladies Omega consultant, @Canuck, can yo advise?

15. night_watch Jan 28, 2016

Thank you JimlnOz! This is an awesome forum. It is amazing that scammers would go through such lengths on producing fake vintage omegas. For an average person like who knows nothing about watches would think only current one's have fakes.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 28, 2016

There were fake,s even in the seventies. We get several vintage fakes asked about on here. Most of the fake watches are of the current models for the time. So the fake vintage watches were produced not long after the watch came out.
    Don't think there are that many people making fake vintage models today.

17. night_watch Jan 28, 2016

Shows I do not really know anything on watches and shouldn't be buying on eBay on impulse. Good thing I found this forum. I do not own a watch. I have been saving to buy a vintage omega for awhile. Fingers crossed! :)

18. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 28, 2016

There are some fake pie pans being produced now.
    image.jpeg

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 28, 2016

I didn't intend to indicate that the watch is a fake, quite the converse, I'm sure it's genuine.

I called on @Canuck as he can probably tell you more about this watch as he has some experience with this genre.

(I love the sound of "genre", "jzonrah", it just makes you sound much more educated than you really are.)

:D

20. night_watch Jan 28, 2016

I apologized for conveying the wrong message. I should have written the 1st part in a different sentence. I thanked you for calling another expert. The latter part of the paragraph was a whole different post. :)