Forums Latest Members
  1. Gary Ho May 25, 2020

Hi everyone,

I have recently bought a DON Bezel for my 2998-6 pre moon. This came with a service bezel and my eyes were buying each time I looked. I took it to the watch maker yesterday and using the press one side fitted and the other wouldn't give the reassuring pop. He asked me to bring the service bezel as I had no issues with it and he will check the inner diameter of it against the DON Bezel. He said that he may need to file down one side after measuring bit inner circumferences.

Wondering if anyone else had similar situation to mine? Please share your experience.

2. Dan S May 25, 2020

There are a number of threads on this topic. I will try to search later, but perhaps you can give it a try. The bottom line is that there is a tool specifically for the purpose of opening and closing bezel diameters very slightly so that they fit properly. I suppose that filing the inside of the bezel could work if your watchmaker is careful. But if he doesn't have this tool, you might want to consider looking elsewhere for this particular job.

Edited May 25, 2020
    BatDad, gminnj and apsm100 like this.
  3. pascs May 25, 2020

Not all cases have the exact same dimensions. I recently had a straight lug case as a project and all my spare bezels had different levels of fit on this case, even my DON's were not all the same. The newest bezels could be pushed on by hand as could one of the DON's (so obviously an unsuitably loose fit), the other DON was very tight and since it was not going on this particular case, I didnt push it to fit. The bezel I did fit, a mid 80's bezel, was very tight and required some filing down of the inside of the bezel in order to fit - this was a cheap bezel so I was ok with doing this.
    I'm assuming you are in a similar situation where the bezel is very tight, however I'm not sure that 'one side fitted' can in anyway be correct. The bezel must be fitted using a press and has to remain absolutely horizontal to the case during the fitting process. If the bezel goes down on one side only then it will be very difficult to fit the bezel as the other side will now be at an angle to the case and an even tighter fit, also it could be possible to put a twist in the bezel.
    Assuming your watch maker is experienced then he could file the inside of the bezel slightly to get it to fit but the last thing you want is for the bezel to be too loose and pop off unexpectedly in the future.

Gary Ho likes this.
  4. killer67 May 25, 2020

5. Gary Ho May 26, 2020

6. Gary Ho May 26, 2020

Thank you for your time and details in your response. The watch maker I went to first is very experience but simply pressed the bezel on with his fingers. It came off and luckily for me due to COViD isolation it fell off at home.

Went to a second watch maker which is more local and he used a press then discovered the misfit and suggested the minor adjustments. Will go back and see what he says. Thanks again.

7. Gary Ho May 26, 2020

8. Eric304 May 26, 2020

There are 2 kinds of bezel press that I experienced before. The first one I experienced is the most simple one, you squeeze with your hand when you press, sometimes don't work that well. The send one I experienced is the heavy-duty one, operates like turning a wheel. It gives more even pressure to put on the bezel.

9. pascs May 26, 2020

This is the press I use for bezels etc, it does a very good job of keeping the dies perfectly horizontal when trying to install bezels.

I just reinstalled a DON bezel on my 145.012, quite a tight fit but using this setup up its nice and easy. I did use a spare Speedmaster case back on the watch as I like the watch to sit perfectly flat and the watch had a Sapphire case back installed and I dont want to put any pressure on that so its easier to remove it while doing a bezel.

press1.jpg

press2.jpg

10. Gary Ho May 26, 2020

HI Pascs, the press the WM used was the heavy duty one. And with the the Bezel still did not fit on one side.

11. Gary Ho May 26, 2020

Good point you make there. I will ring my original Watchmaker in Sydney CBD.

12. Gary Ho May 26, 2020

Thanks He was using the heavy duty one that you have to turn like a vise and it presses down. And still no good

13. BatDad May 26, 2020

Filing of the bezel seems extremely drastic and irrecoverable, no?

Per @Dan S I was under the impression there was a specific tool to assist with ensuring the bezel is the appropriate size.

14. Gary Ho May 26, 2020

It does seem drastic. BTW I spoke to another WM and he stated that this happens a fair bit as they are old parts and the more Bezels are fitted and removed tension requirements to stay on the watch will alter. He said a slight file may adult things as well. Otherwise just leave on the service bezel ti be safe. But that will drive needs to the looney bin.

15. Gary Ho May 27, 2020

To the eye and feel, the fit is identical no kinks or chips felt.

5631AF27-0666-4500-9595-6D3E91C853DE.jpeg 65C7474E-B47A-41BF-A2CA-8C37CB8CBFEA.jpeg
    BatDad likes this.
  16. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 27, 2020

If it were me, I would try sticking the watch in the freezer for a bit and maybe put the bezel in a slightly warmer place.