Domestic water filter - do you use one / recommendations please?

I use a Woder under sink system. It was easy to install, easy to change the filters, and they last a long time. All the cold water at the kitchen sink runs through it. There is no separate faucet. It cuts the cold water flow rate down a bit, but it still much greater than one of the systems with a separate faucet.

https://woder.com/products/wd-g4-dc/

WD-G4-L-DC-1-768x960.png

I use a Woder under sink system. It was easy to install, easy to change the filters, and they last a long time. All the cold water at the kitchen sink runs through it. There is no separate faucet. It cuts the cold water flow rate down a bit, but it still much greater than one of the systems with a separate faucet.

https://woder.com/products/wd-g4-dc/
Seems like it would be easy to add a T so this could be plumbed to a separate tap if desired.

Seems like it would be easy to add a T so this could be plumbed to a separate tap if desired.

Yes if you wanted, but I prefer a less cluttered counter top.

Yes if you wanted, but I prefer a less cluttered counter top.
My comment was more of a 'thinking out loud' comment. I'm in the middle of assessing RO options right now due to frequent scaling issues on the espresso machine after 13+ years of no issues. This thread is timely.

Our system has a carbon cartridge with a UV lamp for disinfection. We have it hooked to a small faucet at the kitchen sink, and to the fridge for ice and cold water.

One thing to keep in mind is that these systems produce about 3 gallons of waste water for ever gallon of purified water. When installed under a sink, the waste line goes directly into the drain. I find that wasteful, so I installed mine next to the washer. I put the drain line directly into the washer to fill the tub for laundry, or I fill jugs and use that water for general cleaning where high mineral content isn't a concern. It's a bit unsightly (as is the condition of my laundry room), but no one sees it.
A permeate pump can be added to a ro system to increases the efficiency and reduce the amount of waste water.

A permeate pump can be added to a ro system to increases the efficiency and reduce the amount of waste water.

This (link below) seems to explain it well although in the UK were the tap water is considered very good to current internationally standards I still think the brine would be considered a waste by most, so for now a carbon gravity system looks to be my favoured solution (also no power required).

It does make me wonder why reverse Osmosis systems don’t push the permate pump as a standard solution. Maybe size, running costs or not wishing to highlight the increased water use?

https://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/how-permeate-pumps-work
‘’The brine performs the essential function of carrying away the impurities and keeping the membrane clean. It isn't “wasted” any more than the water you wash your hair or mop your floor with is wasted”

This (link below) seems to explain it well although in the UK were the tap water is considered very good to current internationally standards I still think the brine would be considered a waste by most, so for now a carbon gravity system looks to be my favoured solution (also no power required).

It does make me wonder why reverse Osmosis systems don’t push the permate pump as a standard solution. Maybe size, running costs or not wishing to highlight the increased water use?

https://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/how-permeate-pumps-work
‘’The brine performs the essential function of carrying away the impurities and keeping the membrane clean. It isn't “wasted” any more than the water you wash your hair or mop your floor with is wasted”
A permate pump doesn't need any electricity. It's powered by the water flowing through it.

With a pump the water moves through the filters faster. If your water is poor to start with you might need the slower flow to give it time to filter. I imagine that's why the pumps are considered add on and not standard.

So this time around it is a gravity system and a jump up from the old Brita. Not fired it up yet but nearly ready to go. They say the filters have a silver contact to reduce the risk of bacteria growth but I will keep ahead on the maintenance anyway and see how it goes….

Edited:

So a quick update......been very happy with the system but it leaves in too much calcium (yes I know it is good for you) and the kettle and pots are suffering.... So we are now using a Brita again but then running it through the Gravity filter. I will only change the Brita when the kettle furs again so I suspect we will get a long life on that. The Gravity filters should be good for a couple of years if kept clean with our usage rates.
Of course if we use Butt water ....(behave forum)... the gravity system might not last so long, a good option to have if we loose our supply for a time. I am told (thanks @Tony C. ) when the flow rate does not recover after a clean it is time for new ones. Thanks again for the help and comments by the way everyone.

So a quick update......been very happy with the system but it leaves in too much calcium (yes I know it is good for you) and the kettle and pots are suffering

Interesting! We must not have as much in our water supply, as I haven't noticed that issue at all.

Interesting! We must not have as much in our water supply, as I haven't noticed that issue at all.

We are a hard lot around here 😲)

Looking at this thread makes me realize that I'm probably a year or two overdue for changing the filters.