Forums Latest Members

Watch boxes, travel cases and winders. What do you use?

1. Omegafanman Mar 29, 2019

When not on your wrist how do you keep your pride and joy safe at home or when on the move? Do many of you keep your watches in the original box every night?

I have had a few false dawns with kit selection and now keep it simple / save my pennies for the watches themselves. Also what about when shipping watches back for service? (I stick with the red Omega travel case and lots of bubble wrap).

For watch sales I sometimes ship the watch and OEM box separate. It can be cheaper to pay the extra insurance on a lighter ‘watch only’ parcel and use a more standard service for the OEM box – they are getting huge these days. I think you could fit wheels on the new Moon watch box and tow it...….

I don’t use a watch winder anymore (just as a passive storage case) and find the red Omega travel pouches very handy. Generics like Becotechnic do the same job and are cheaper plus draw less attention on the road. A double roll of my old socks also works well, is cost effective and keeps all but the bravest thieves at bay….

I did see a certain luxury Guru was using scatola del tempo (also pictured) and thought their three-watch leather case looked a nice design – but the price is crazy. Interested to know what everybody else thinks / recommends?

Boxes.jpg scatola del tempo ex.jpg box wheels.jpg
    Edited Mar 29, 2019
    Longbow, Faz and AJwala like this.
  2. M'Bob Mar 29, 2019

I would be hard-pressed to see the wisdom in doing this, unless one's place is a total shambles, and you couldn't find the watch if you couldn't find the box.

As original boxes that accompany watches may potentially have some value down the road if the watch is ever sold, daily use would certainly produce unnecessary wear.

Omegafanman likes this.
  3. Omegafanman Mar 29, 2019

I agree but some people never plan to sell and a lot of the vintage watch boxes look like that had plenty of use. I think some people use the OEM box as part of the daily ownership experience. As I said before some of the new boxes are so big that is getting impractical. The fact that Wolf and Dottling etc solutions sell show that some people like expensive aesthetically pleasing (or challenging :0) solutions which cost a lot more than a standard OEM box. Most of my watches are in secure storage along with the boxes. I don't keep many at home and normally travel with a couple + a beater, hence small travel cases suit me.

colosimmo-3-watch-winder-3.jpg
    M'Bob likes this.
  4. M'Bob Mar 29, 2019

Well, you learn something new everyday...I would think most just toss on the dresser...

5. mr_smith Mar 29, 2019

Hi, first post on this forum, though long time lurker (and been a member on another forum for a while). With my first watch, I actually did use the original box for a little while - I think I was just so happy to get it that I sort of wanted the whole presentation to be there each time I grabbed it. And, I'll never sell it so not a worry for me with any damage to the box that may have come from the constant use at that time. Since then I've picked up a watch box though to hold more than just one. Annnnd, picked up a couple more watches before that box. So a box seemed like a good idea.

For travel, I had a very unfortunate encounter with a TSA agent in line at the airport - he was careless (to put it nicely) with my personal belongings, including my watch. Since then I've taken some extra precautions when traveling. I'll typically use the Oakley 'Vault' (for those unfamiliar with it, it's a pill-looking thing... think the Omega travel case but a little larger; hinged and made out of a hard material that's intended to protect sunglasses from getting crushed). Inside that, something to keep the watch from moving around. I keep this in my carry-on until through the security checkpoint and then just put my watch on afterward. Also peace of mind knowing my watch isn't just in one of the bins out of my sight while I'm going through the scanner thing - easier to keep an eye on a bag.

Omegafanman likes this.
  6. Evitzee Mar 29, 2019

I have four single-head Orbits winders that I use to display watches in my study. I'll occasionally use them for winding but I'm not a great fan of winders. I have a 12 compartment matchbox that can be propped up for displah, too.

For travel I use an AP service box, or a flat Vacheron Constantin leather wallet.

Omegafanman likes this.
  7. Dan S Mar 29, 2019

I bought some cheap 24-watch boxes like the one below, and discarded the lids (converting them to trays with 24 compartments), then put them in dresser drawers. Unfortunately, they don't fill the space perfectly, so eventually I will probably build something customized to fit more watches.

For traveling, I use my wrist.

box.jpg

Edited Mar 29, 2019
    Yak1, DaveK, amiriqbal and 1 other person like this.
  8. Omegafanman Mar 30, 2019

Yes it is hard to find the perfect item. I am sure I saw that someone had converted a modern large moonwatch box into a multiple Omega watch display / carry case which looked a nice (if expensive) project. I think there is a gap in the market for a good quality / right price solution.

DaveK likes this.
  9. Atalien2005 Mar 30, 2019

Because I travel quite often, I have tried every solution under the moon to include converting the moonwatch box into a carry case. The heft of the box makes it a great home solution but not a very practical traveling companion.

The best solution I have found for traveling is the new Patek H997 Travel Case (not sure if other brands have them also). It’s small, well built and offers great protection for these works of wonder. My biggest problem were watches with a deployant clasp not being foldable and thus most solutions I tried just didn’t work.

Grab 2 or 3 of these and I think it’s a great home and travel case.
    E539EA7D-8F13-403E-A434-0781F84A8AEF.jpeg 1A43AE50-1725-46A1-B472-D0837E1C42A5.jpeg

teome, Artman, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  10. Omegafanman Apr 1, 2019

Thanks for the tip, and I love the Omega Moonwatch box conversion. They should think about selling something like that. It is way too big for just one watch (even if it is a great watch :0)

box wheels.jpg P1260271.JPG
    Wivac likes this.
  11. ericmtl Apr 6, 2019

The Orbita Sparta is a great winder even next to my bed because it's VERY silent
    s-l1600 (2).jpg

And the good old omega red travel case with it's black plastic cover: (great for travel)
    omega-watch-travel-.jpg

Omegafanman likes this.
  12. KstateSkier Apr 6, 2019

My travel case. Wear one and pack one.

IMG_1247.JPG

Omegafanman likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 6, 2019

Omegafanman and Longbow like this.
  14. Longbow Apr 6, 2019

15. Omegafanman Apr 7, 2019

Thanks - I have been trying to find those / very helpful links. As an aside when you see any OEM watch box deconstructed it is a bit depressing..... serious fun with cardboard and a glue gun...…..Must be a crazy profit / surprised OEMs don't offer more storage options for sale.

16. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Apr 7, 2019

Molequin watch box and Les Noble watch roll

23072C7C-48AF-406C-AA78-A34A595D46CE.jpeg

D347AC87-0875-4F32-B359-82F008218746.jpeg

3FB3E905-3212-4FDB-8DCE-25210353EDED.jpeg

SC1, Stas, zoohannover and 5 others like this.
  17. Omegafanman Apr 7, 2019

18. mz_cle Apr 7, 2019

This is something that has come up for me lately with the Mrs. While my collection is still growing, I have a couple of OEM boxes collecting dust on my bedside stand. I don't generally touch them after initially buying the watch, so I'm in the market for an 8 watch box and plan to stash the manufacturer's boxes in a closet somewhere or the basement.

19. Omegafanman Apr 7, 2019

Make sure they are well protected / avoid mold. Also think about security. Might be worth keeping some of the watches in the basement as well :0)

https://omegaforums.net/threads/safe-yeah-innit.91554/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/being-careful-–-guarding-your-watches-in-the-big-bad-world.91185/

20. Omegafanman Apr 8, 2019