Domestic water filter - do you use one / recommendations please?

Hi Team forum.
So, we use a basic Brita water filter jug for our drinking water. It does stop the kettle furring up. We are in a UK hard water region. A Brita is pretty basic and does not filter out all possible contaminants and that list of nasties is growing.
I have been doing some research on bottom ash (fly ash) aggregate so more aware of what might be heading back in our water tables as well as the lack of testing.

I started to look at filtration options and the list was harder to understand than the Seamaster family. Some also seemed to use (loose) a lot of water to the process and or need a lot of maintenance.

I think one filtered tap (or device) would do us.

Knowing we has a lot of technical types on here and not wishing to re-invent the wheel any thoughts on this topic from the forum family?.... and will my Speedmaster 50m be ok with the pure stuff :0)

Thanks in advance for any help and ideas.

Like 2
Use the sky filter method myself. Falls from the sky, I drink it.

(wet season in NT Australia our dam overflows for 3 months of the year)

US here. I installed a reverse osmosis system last year in the kitchen sink so that filtered water comes out of the sink in a different faucet. I bought the iSpring one on Amazon. It's been working great since the filtered water gets stored in a large tank ready for use. The only downside is you have to change the filters every 3-6 months. I did it twice already and it's always a big pain to disconnect all the pipes, take the unit from under the sink, unscrew the filters, install new ones, and reattach all the pipes again. The filters themselves aren't that expensive at around $70 for a year.

Amazon.com: iSpring RCC7AK, NSF Certified 75 GPD, Alkaline 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis System, pH+ Remineralization RO Water Filter System Under Sink, Superb Taste Drinking Water Filter : Industrial & Scientific

Capture.PNG

Like 2
Activated charcoal in a glass carafe from the fridge.

No need for anything else, and probably not even necessary where I live:

Actual picture of my setup.

IMG20240215213848.jpg IMG20240215214009.jpg

I have a similar system which we installed July 2017 in China and as you might guess it's made by Haier.
Works extremely well and came with an electronic water tester to determine water purity.

WP_20170731_12_39_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20170731_09_51_07_Pro.jpg

Like 2
Thanks for the replies. An under sink solution looks the best bet for me. I will look into the two mentioned.

What’s your specific concern regarding water quality? The UK has some of the most stringent drinking water regulations in the world.

The biggest issue is lead pipes as these are generally owned by the property owner rather than the water company and as such are often still in place in older properties. Other than that, UK water quality is really second to none and with the potential exception of PFAS chemicals, which aren’t yet properly regulated in drinking water, there’s just no need for a filter.

Like 2
Sorry we are doing pictures

Picture of my set up....

IMG_20231213_135932.jpg

Like 6
Sorry we are doing pictures

Picture of my set up....

IMG_20231213_135932.jpg

We have 2x water butts and I am looking at a third but we don’t use it as potable water. We also ran dry in the summer. The house roof is the collection system and we have some sources of industrial pollution in the area so I take the tap water well ahead of what we collect in terms of purity. Glad it works for you.

We have 2x water butts and I am looking at a third but we don’t use it as potable water. We also ran dry in the summer. The house roof is the collection system and we have some sources of industrial pollution in the area so I take the tap water well ahead of what we collect in terms of purity. Glad it works for you.

If you’re getting your water from a butt then you definitely need some filtration.

Like 4
What’s your specific concern regarding water quality? The UK has some of the most stringent drinking water regulations in the world.

The biggest issue is lead pipes as these are generally owned by the property owner rather than the water company and as such are often still in place in older properties. Other than that, UK water quality is really second to none and with the potential exception of PFAS chemicals, which aren’t yet properly regulated in drinking water, there’s just no need for a filter.

I agree the UK is lucky and I do happily drink tap water. As a minimum we like to use a filter to protect kettles etc from scale. PFAS, heavy metals, chlorine, fluoride, endocrine disrupters, micro plastic , nitrogen etc…. I am just interested to have pure water at home and see how that works for long term health. I suspect testing /awareness will evolve in the coming years as the circular economy grows. What goes around comes around. I know a UK example were water is pumped into a watercourse used for crop irrigation from a sealed site without a permit. The tests do not cover the spectrum of chemical risk at that site. It is being looked into but is taking years and is hugely bureaucratic. It has reduced my confidence for the longer term. Agencies and enforcement are not joined up. Equally it is not a crazy level of worry / it is all in a context and thinking about long term health choices more than a knee jerk panic.

https://patient.info/news-and-features/uk-water-quality-part-1-is-tap-water-safe

I used to keep saltwater inveribrates and I currently have a freshwater tank, and I've had a 4 stage reverse osmosis deionizing filter system for about 15 years. Beyond removing chloramines, reducing dissolved solids is critical to preventing algae growth, so I purchased a system that's probably overkill if you're just trying to produce safe drinking water. It's dead simple to use and reduces the TDS to 0.2 PPM when the filters are new. I use the Typhoon III Reefkeeper RODI from a US company called AirWaterIce.

One thing to keep in mind is that these systems produce about 3 gallons of waste water for ever gallon of purified water. When installed under a sink, the waste line goes directly into the drain. I find that wasteful, so I installed mine next to the washer. I put the drain line directly into the washer to fill the tub for laundry, or I fill jugs and use that water for general cleaning where high mineral content isn't a concern. It's a bit unsightly (as is the condition of my laundry room), but no one sees it.

30666160273716.jpg

Like 1
Whichever system you go with, remember to always keep the filters clean! :P

I agree the UK is lucky and I do happily drink tap water. As a minimum we like to use a filter to protect kettles etc from scale. PFAS, heavy metals, chlorine, fluoride, endocrine disrupters, micro plastic , nitrogen etc…. I am just interested to have pure water at home and see how that works for long term health. I suspect testing /awareness will evolve in the coming years as the circular economy grows. What goes around comes around. I know a UK example were water is pumped into a watercourse used for crop irrigation from a sealed site without a permit. The tests do not cover the spectrum of chemical risk at that site. It is being looked into but is taking years and is hugely bureaucratic. It has reduced my confidence for the longer term. Agencies and enforcement are not joined up. Equally it is not a crazy level of worry / it is all in a context and thinking about long term health choices more than a knee jerk panic.

https://patient.info/news-and-features/uk-water-quality-part-1-is-tap-water-safe

Just for a bit of background, I've got a masters degree in Water Engineering and Hydrology and have worked for 12+ years in the UK Water Industry.
Far and away the biggest risk to public health are privately owned lead supply pipes. These are the small diameter pipes which connect your house to the water main in the street. The Water company owns the section in the highway, but the property owner owns the section on their land. There are millions left in the UK and checking if you have one and replacing it with PE pipe is the most significant improvement you can make. If you replace your section, most water companies will renew the section in the highway free of charge. Most filters don't remove lead, some of the more expensive ones do but mainly particulate lead, not dissolved.

Despite many people's beliefs to the contrary, most water supplies in the UK don't have fluoride dosing. The acids used to fluoridate potable water supplies are horrible, highly corrosive chemicals and the transportation, storage, dosing and management etc are time consuming and costly. With a few exceptions, fluoride is only added when requested by local government, typically in areas of high depravation to combat dental issues. This is a very lengthy process (as I've been involved in one), the costs are significant and it has to go to the Secretary of State and public consultation. It should be easy to find out if your water supply is fluoridated.

Chlorine is harmless at the doses found in the public water supply in the UK. It will also off-gas and reduce in open containers that are stored for a few minutes/hours and reduce levels. Personally i wouldn't remove chlorine from my drinking water unless i was storing it for a very short space of time in an airtight container out of the sun. Otherwise you risk microbial growth, seeded from the container itself, not the tap water.

PFAS is an emerging risk and the long term effects and acceptable thresholds aren't fully understood. There is no safe PCV (prescribed concentration value) for PFAS but it's coming. The good news is that many of the processes currently employed in UK water treatment, such as GAC and PAC carbon filtration, currently used to remove taste & odour and pesticides, are also the most likely processes to be used for removing PFAS chemicals. The only difference being the additional load provided by water containing significant concentrations of PFAS will exhaust the carbon more quickly, meaning it needs re-firing or replacing with virgin media more frequently. Water Companies are already aware of their high risk sites and are proactively taking steps to ensure levels aren't in the likely unacceptable zone.
High risk sites are typically those who upstream catchment includes airports (firefighting foam is a major contributor) and historic chemical production sites. If you live in an upland area, with no real industry or airports above you, you're unlikely to have PFAS above background anyway.

All that said, i get why people like to have a water filter, particularly in hard water areas to reduce furring up of kettles etc. They just need careful monitoring as old filters that aren't changed regularly are hotbeds of microbial growth and if you've also removed the chlorine, you're introducing a larger risk.

Like 7
U.K. based. I can highly recommend the Berkey water filter:
https://berkey-waterfilters.co.uk/
They claim to remove 99.9% of chemicals and bacteria and the filters last 10 years, you just need to occasionally back wash them. I was surprised by how much crud was visible on the outside of the filters after using for a while.
My sister gave me one a few years ago and it sat unused for a while as our tap water seemed pleasant enough. But once we tried it we couldn’t go back and now I find the taste of the chlorine in the tap water too much. The flavour of Tea and coffee are noticeably improved as well.

Like 1
I just put plenty of Whisky in it ;)
Don’t put water in your whisky…….water is filthy stuff…..all manner of critters fuck in it!

Like 1
The plumbing company sent me this photo and a bill for $1200.00
plumbing.jpg After I spoke with the owner, I had to wash the phone.

We use a Body Glove 3000 filter, have to change it 1x/year

Like 1