Forums Latest Members

Does your significant other support your watch habit/ obsession/collecting

1. connieseamaster Aug 15, 2019

The BF has a growing collection of watches between ones I and my dad (a watchmaker) have given him over the years of our relationship. Ironically, the one he eyes in my watchbox the most is the beater Seiko I use for field work, despite him having a Pogue my dad found in the back of a drawer and fixed up for him. I do steal the Pogue occasionally. He generally treats my habit with bemused tolerance. Again, no "real" money involved, only fun money from side lines.

2. WYO_Watch Aug 15, 2019

I bought my girlfriend, then fiancé, then wife a watch every birthday for 5 years. She couldn’t have cared less.

When I was newly wed and looking at buying my wife some golf clubs, my dad told me “you know, you can have hobbies you don’t share with your wife.” After a few years, I get it - she wears her birthday watches as much as she golfs. I’m not looking to change that, she’s a great lady - without a watch addiction.

As far as my own watch hobby. She doesn’t mind. She respects me and I love her, and I wouldn’t put watches or other mammon above her or our family.

DaveK likes this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 15, 2019

2nd marriage for both of us, so my wife really has no hang-ups with me spending money on watches. Ultimately it is less cheaper than playing around at a race track, where the money you spend on tires, pads, rotors, motor rebuilds, frame straightening ( ::shy:: ) is 100% lost. And while owning a crop of Omegas isn't exactly a high-return investment, it is safer than the stock market is right now :D

DaveK, Pun, marco and 1 other person like this.
  4. Evitzee Aug 15, 2019

My wife-to-be bought me a Speedmaster in 1972 and hasn't said much in the ensuing 47 years, she knows I'm not going to put us in financial risk. She also got me started in motorcycles in 1976 when she came home and announced she had bought a Honda CB-550. Still have the wife and stilll have a bike, a 2017 Yamaha FZ-10. I'm good!

DaveK, queriver, Pun and 2 others like this.
  5. Mac5 Aug 15, 2019

She can't support what she doesn't know about.:whistling:

Walrus likes this.
  6. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 15, 2019

Hard to believe she has not noticed that our safety deposit box have less and less space left. :cool:
    And that I usually don’t wear the same watch any day of the month. :confused:
    But I still think she has no clue as to the value of what’s in there. “Just a bunch of old watches “......
    :D

7. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Aug 15, 2019

Very thoughtful and considerate of you Walrus. I'm sure people appreciate your sensativity in the use of the term 'significant other'.

But some of us still like to use other terms like 'husband' 'wife' 'boyfriend' or 'girlfriend' if we choose to. Thousands of young soldiers died on the battlefields of two world wars so that we can be free to express ourselves within the law.:)

Edited Aug 15, 2019
    DaveK, Pun, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  8. Evitzee Aug 15, 2019

No need to bother the missus with details.

Northernman likes this.
  9. Dsloan Aug 15, 2019

This is the sort of hobby where my partner says "well, I'm happy that you're happy."

Pun likes this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 15, 2019

Support? no. Accept? yes

Pun likes this.
  11. wx_073 Aug 15, 2019

She always shows attention to my watches by asking how much? :)

12. Kraut783 Aug 15, 2019

She thinks I only have one watch.... :whistling:

13. Walrus Aug 15, 2019

Dude I have no issue with that it’s just the snowflakes get upset even by my trump hat. I have no idea what the hell to say anymore. Two genders have turned into 47 apparently I was sleeping at the time

14. larryganz The cable guy Aug 15, 2019

Sleeping with all 47 at the time?

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  15. Walrus Aug 15, 2019

God I hope not

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 15, 2019

She gets paid pretty well to do it. A lot more than me :whistling:

17. mrs_LA Aug 15, 2019

My husband tends to leave me alone with my watch buying. I ask for his advice but really, we all know the wife makes the decisions here. :p We share the collection, so he’s more than happy to come home and find a new piece in (or out!)

nonuffinkbloke, Nobel Prize and M'Bob like this.
  18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 15, 2019

Funny, you started out all PC, then backtracked and said you’re treading carefully for the snowflake, then you go into gender craze.

man, relax, it’s not that hard. I’m a snowflake and I’m ok with all of your positions.... maybe chose one?

19. Walrus Aug 15, 2019

Actually I was being sarcastic when I said I had to use significant other. I figured people would know but I have a weird sense of humor. I picked a side a long time ago

Nobel Prize likes this.
  20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 15, 2019

Not trying to be an Ass, I get it, it was just funny to read through.

Walrus likes this.