Forums Latest Members

Does your significant other support your watch habit/ obsession/collecting

1. OHS Aug 15, 2019

I think my wife is just glad that nowadays I'm spending money on something that still exists the morning after tbh! Plus watches have replaced being in a band for me and she would much prefer I'm sat at home playing with watches than off at festivals/pubs/practices etc etc.

She's actually surprisingly supportive when I talk about buying another which always surprises me!

I've been trying to get her in to watches too which is working slowly... She was happy with a cheap little vintage Smiths watch and a Timex and kept telling me not to buy her any more. Then I told her I was going to sell this Lecoultre to make space for something else and she said she wanted to keep it! It looks loads better on her, I'm glad it's staying in the family and I reckon one watch given to her equals at least two new ones to me surely? :)

IMG_20190815_141813.jpg
    SouthernScot, DaveK, McKinley and 8 others like this.
  2. gbesq Aug 15, 2019

Yes, AFTER I dropped 4 grand on a nice Omega for her. ::bleh::

jklim, WatchShopping and JwRosenthal like this.
  3. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Aug 15, 2019

My wife pushed me to get a DSOTM to celebrate my 50th last year and then less than 2 months later she encouraged me to get my even more expensive Blancpain. So, she's even responsible for my username!

Also, I'm sure she's very happy I spend so much time on the internet looking at watches, rather than looking at you know what

DaveK, jklim, Als 27 and 1 other person like this.
  4. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Aug 15, 2019

I don't have a "significant other"..... I do have a wonderful wife, who finds my watch very attractive, but can't quite see the need to have more than one each.

Having said that, she says similar things with regard to my guitar collection.:(

DaveK, marco, Als 27 and 1 other person like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 15, 2019

Mrs STANDY is a entomologist and collects moths that cost nothing :thumbsup:

nonuffinkbloke, GregH, DaveK and 3 others like this.
  6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 15, 2019

No actually, she is the one who will come out with “ why not” if she catches me looking at a nice watch.

jklim, Pun and Molko like this.
  7. JwRosenthal Aug 15, 2019

I have full buy-in. She knows I never put “real money” in jeopardy and watches are purchased with fun money and never on credit.
    It started with a ‘58 lady Seamaster that I got on the cheap and gave her as a Xmas gift along with her “real gift”. She loved it and it became a thing-every holiday or birthday I give her another fun vintage watch (usually a vintage ladies or small sized men’s Omega as they are a bargain) along with a gift she had been wanting.
    She has a sizable collection now and loves when I get packages-she wants to see what I got, and if it’s not perfect for me she gives me the smile-and it goes in her watch box- we have similar taste in watches. There are a few that I love that have migrated to her watch box that I don’t have the heart to ask for them back (like my ‘66 Tudor Prince)....and frankly they look better on her than on me. She has had her eye on my GMT for a while...she loves the Pepsi...that’s staying in my box though....for now.

DaveK, gostang9, OHS and 3 others like this.
  8. Walrus Aug 15, 2019

I had to say significant other in today’s culture didn’t want to upset anyone

WatchCor and Nobel Prize like this.
  9. av8ffej Aug 15, 2019

I had no idea that this was a thing. As much as I would love to collect something that costs nothing, I'm pretty sure moths aren't it. lol

10. Keith88lx Aug 15, 2019

I think my wife is just used to it by now after being married for 8 years. I'm into cars and trucks. I like sports. I got into bourbon and now watches this year. She tolerates things as long as I don't spend too much and forget about her and the kids. She thinks its weird with my recent watch obsession, but she also supports the idea of me buying a Speedy for my 40th birthday this year.

11. JwRosenthal Aug 15, 2019

Does she like chunky watches? Get your SMP for yourself and get her a reduced. On your 40th birthday give her the reduced- you will be matchy-matchy and if she loved it, you'll have buy-in.

Keith88lx likes this.
  12. Pun Aug 15, 2019

My wife doesn’t care about my watch purchases so long as our family basic needs are taken care of. I bought her a Bréguet last year and she stopped thinking of new watch since then. She has a small collection of a Longines, a Tag Heuer and Bréguet. Tag is her daily watch that she is wearing today. Other two are posted here.

image.jpg image.jpg
    JwRosenthal likes this.
  13. JwRosenthal Aug 15, 2019

You should have your wife send you a wrist pic of the Tag to complete your posted images- then she'll know you have gone completely nuts posting her wrist pics.;)

Pun likes this.
  14. Hoddspur Aug 15, 2019

If it means her and the kids going without the basic necessities of life and their summer holiday, then no.

15. Pun Aug 15, 2019

That’s not the case dear. In family basics all such aspects are already covered.

Hoddspur likes this.
  16. Pun Aug 15, 2019

Luckily she is gone out of town to see her mother. And she considers my watch forum activity as sheer waste of time.

17. Toishome Aug 15, 2019

I got lucky. She got more watches than I do :D
    The only upside is that vintage lady's watches cost peanuts ;)

Mad Dog likes this.
  18. Audiophile Aug 15, 2019

Surprisingly, I got lucky. As long as I'm not going into debt, she's very supportive of my passion for watches and has no issue with me buying pieces.

19. incogtom Aug 15, 2019

she just bought me an AD Explorer (and then waited up late to check out the lume. Dedication.) All I have to do is buy her a 'pre-loved' Cartier gold 19mm Tank Americaine, promise never to marry her and wear it instead of a ring. (A wonderful proposal; I said yes).
    But she realises what's really needed is a 3592.50...
    Far less tolerant of some of my other hobbies...

20. Walrus Aug 15, 2019

I should say my wife also did me well at some tag sales. She found a vintage Hamilton and bulova in good working condition for five bucks a piece. They were only worth a couple hundred bucks but I always appreciate when she thinks of me.