Forums Latest Members

Do you need a beater if you have a Speedmaster?

1. Tekashi_145.022 Sep 12, 2019

Ah yeah. I’ve not used straps to DL in a long time, but when I did, the watch always came off.

That said, if you are anywhere near the size of my buddies deadlifting 600+, your wrist muscles probably have wrist muscles (unlike me). I am envisioning a hilarious Johnny Bravo moment with a nato strap bursting when flexing instead of a shirt.

I only ever topped out at 415 on my deadlift. I may not have as big of arms, but at least I get to wear a watch when working out! I’m going to tell myself that so I feel better... I love being able to time my wall sits, breaks between sets, etc. with a chrono.. totally worth having smaller arms... :mad::D

Bimmerman77 and STANDY like this.
  2. 64Wing Sep 13, 2019

Man, mine was only 545...felt good to piss, though...:p

3. michael22 Sep 13, 2019

Now that's a good name for a Speedy!

4. michael22 Sep 13, 2019

I always wear a watch to the gym, with a rotating bezel, SS bracelet.
    But I'm a skinny guy who does stamina workouts, not a gorilla.

Pun likes this.
  5. Junta Sep 13, 2019

I would not treat my Speedmaster as a beater. I know its origin and design are of a tool watch , but its priced as jewelry. I'd probably think the same of a screwdriver at the same price point.

6. RazorFrazer Sep 13, 2019

skx for travel / hard work days / swimming. Love it. I can't travel with my speedy because i'm always in a damn pool

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2019

One man's beater is another man's grail. Nothing new about this, and it depends partly on your finances, but also on your approach to watches in general.

NVWC, Pun, PhilF and 2 others like this.
  8. anselmw Sep 13, 2019

Speedy Pro is the perfect daily watch to wear. It is still in production, if hesalite gets scratched you polish it out or just get it replaced when you get a service. Ding the bezel, plenty of stock of those. That is why it is the perfect daily/beater/luxury watch!

Pun likes this.
  9. jsducote Sep 13, 2019

I have a set of pearl-handled screwdrivers and pliers with inlaid gemstones. My hammer is solid gold (14K) and I've got a sterling silver socket set, although they are a hand-me-down from my grandfather.
    /sarcasm

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 13, 2019

I thought the Speedmaster was a beater? ::confused2::

11. Bimmerman77 Sep 13, 2019

Man my best raw bench was 525. And you know got two back to back hernias? Warming up with 135 lol. Didn’t even get to 225 and I felt a pop in my groin

12. RI Omega Fan Sep 13, 2019

Do you need another watch if you have a Speedmaster?

(I know, I know. You’re the wrong guys to ask...)

13. 64Wing Sep 14, 2019

I was just messing with ya...it was a penile joke lol

But the reality is I broke my back in high school so nothing has ever been the same. Add to that the fact that I'm simply envious of the commitment people like you can make to your workouts.

I'm just an average joe ::shy::

Bimmerman77 likes this.
  14. PhilF Sep 14, 2019

The Speedmaster has been my Grail watch for years, I got mine on July 20th this year as an early birthday present. It is worn often as possible, however after the addition of a leather deployant strap, it has become my dress watch. A recently acquired Seamaster Diver 300M will become my "daily driver" due to its virtually bulletproof design. I have found that the Speedmaster is effected by sources of magnatizism which I am near quite often. The METAS certification of the Seamaster solves that problem neatly. When I go to the gym to exercise, I wear a 20+ year old Seiko quartz day-date on a bracelet that was my work watch at the hospital. Lost 40 lbs since I retired, stopped eating fast food and working out 3 times a week. The Seamaster will be my new exercise companion as it can be easily washed when sweaty/grimy, so I guess it is my new "beater" I guess my Speedy will stay as pristine as I can keep it. It's going with me on a 900 mile 5-day trip tomorrow, great travel companion!

Pun likes this.
  15. Bimmerman77 Sep 14, 2019

No offense taken man! Sorry about your back. I can’t imagine breaking it. I herniated a disk and felt like dying. Hope you’re doing better

16. Pun Sep 14, 2019

My first Speedmaster was a Tintin Moonwatch that my AD sold to me at good discount as it was sitting for long time at the counter. I bought it as it really looked different with red and white checks. Since it was relatively cheap, I also intended to use as daily beater for me.
    Then Tintin hype started and that changed perceptions about it. I also read that without a regular vanilla Moonwatch your collection was incomplete indeed. So I bought a regular Moonwatch. It’s a great watch on many accounts and I love it.
    Then I bought ST1 and ST2 both very different again. Later I sold ST1 as it was not legible in poor light and also at certain angles. I believe a Speedmaster Moonwatch must adhere to legibility of dial in all conditions to qualify my criteria.
    Now I’ve 3 Speedmaster Professional and regular Moonwatch is my daily watch that gives me immense pleasure when I look at it anytime during the day. I’m in 55 plus age group with reasonably mild exercise routine. I’m not a gym kind of a man. That’s my journey with Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional watches in short.

chnzwh and PhilF like this.
  17. 64Wing Sep 16, 2019

Thanks brother! Most days are good. Every so often it decides to just be a bitch. Muscles, nerves, discs, etc. I don't let it stop me and only complain about it during that first cup of coffee before getting to work. That incident could've been much worse so I'm thankful I have full capacity. The way I look at it: there are so many people with worse ailments than mine. It's all about perspective!

Pun, Bimmerman77 and michael22 like this.
  18. squarelug Sep 16, 2019

A speedmaster is definitely a watch you wear!

19. Bimmerman77 Sep 16, 2019

You’re absolutely right!