Forums Latest Members

According to Spacefruit chart, how many of you have a Speedmaster collector grade?. Show it please.

1. Concorde Mar 4, 2015

In my mind a Speedmaster collector grade must be in almost mint condition, with all its parts from factory and possibly with original papers tags box etc.

Slevin kelevra likes this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 4, 2015

Good luck with that request!

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2015

The number of Speedmasters in this category on the forum is in reality very high, in fact you'd probably be truly shocked by the actual number. The number you'll actually get good pictures posted of is much smaller however as a lot of them are as private as their owners.

4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 4, 2015

5. richardew Mar 5, 2015

Collector grade doesn't exist as defined. You'd need to find a watch that somebody purchased and then put away for 50 years. If I ran into a 2915 or a 2998 in "mint" condition I'd run and hide. Too good to be true. It's all relative. If you were looking at a 1 or 2 year old speedy pro that was in the same condition as one of the nicer 2915s you'd think it had a rough 1 or 2 years with scratches on the case, scratches on the bezel, etc.

6. marturx Mar 5, 2015

@OP; would love to see some better scans of that Speedy in your avatar :)

Redwheelbarrow likes this.
  7. watchlovr Mar 5, 2015

Collector grade also depends on rarity, for example an unboxed 2915 or 2998 but with all original parts and good condition would I would say be collector grade.

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 5, 2015

I just have that one practically NOS 2998-1 that I posted about a year ago with boxes, papers, hangtag and receipt - never opened.

ock2915 likes this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 5, 2015

There shouldn't be many collector grade, by definition.

In fact when I saw MSNWatch's 2998-1, that was what I had in mind when I set the grade. Its a shame its not still on show.....::stirthepot::

However I felt I had to start somewhere, and that needs to be a very high pinnacle indeed.The Collector grade is such that if you went to a watch show, or a gathering, and another top one came along, you could not choose between the two in terms of quality.

For me, in my mind collector grade is a D Flawless diamond, or 24 carat gold, a very, very rare object for most of us. That's why the figures are high. Its so we can have a "Good" category, one that most of the better watches I see here fall into.

And almost every watch I am asked to value has a reason to reduce from the posted value.

Most of the Speedmasters on Ebay are "Poor" to "Runnning".

No matter what the description says.....

TNTwatch likes this.
  10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 5, 2015

This is the nearest I have, but its not in my opinion Collector Grade as meant by the chart.

Now dont let that stop anyone posting watches that are close, PLEASE!

This could be such a good thread!

Just post your best watch....no matter what?
    17302021 2998-2.jpg

11. cristos71 Mar 5, 2015

Really can´t compete with you guys ( on the minty Speedmaster front anyway ;) ) but in the spirit of this thread here´s my best specimen. Nowhere near mint, but pretty much untouched :)

039.JPG

12. JG808 Mar 5, 2015

Incredible condition on this one!

13. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 5, 2015

Photos or it never happened. ;)

You had to go and mention that one... just when my heart was finally on the mend.

Spacefruit likes this.
  14. speedyfan Mar 5, 2015

If you do not think your example is collector grade, I guess you are setting the bar ridiculously high as you said. I don't disagree with your thought process per se but then again your definition of "collector" should be changed to "a never worn example" or (New Old Stock) NOT "undamaged" and "all original parts". I know collectors aspire to find that but still consider something a little less than your definition of collectible and cherish it and pass it along as such. Or perhaps you could change the name of your highest category to something stronger than collectible?

The only "collector" 2998 that I/we have seen publicly on this forum the last year plus then is @MSN's 2998-1. That watch demonstrates that it is not impossible but EXTREMELY unlikely to find ever again. (I would love to see a close up of the bevels of that one to get a clearer picture of a "Never polished 2998" from the factory) Please MSN Please? :cool:

15. Tritium Mar 5, 2015

+1
    Please;)

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 5, 2015

Fair point.

Maybe I could come up with a differnt name.......

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 5, 2015

How about:

Complete Rubbish
    Winds up and runs
    Too Good for Ebay
    Unicorn / MSN quality

18. Concorde Mar 5, 2015

Yes i saw it, but how many others here, i have doubts about its NOS condition. If is possibly show more close-up pics if you want.

19. incabloc Mar 5, 2015

i would say that NOS condition one's are nearly impossible to find....i wish to have one...:rolleyes:..., so what is my 105.002-62 ? Not a collectors item for shure, but maybe a good one and thats ok for me.

IMG_0216.JPG IMG_0218.JPG
  20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 5, 2015

No interest whatsoever in convincing you.