Forums Latest Members
  1. Perrier Mar 11, 2020

Hi all

I'm talking about a cloth like the one in the image (Blitz Jewellery Cleaning and Polishing Cloth).

These sorts of cloths contain some sort of chemical which can remove tarnish from jewellery, watches, etc.

I live in Hong Kong where the high humidity causes some tarnish to appear on the cases of my 18k gold watches (makes them look like rose gold), and using this type of cloth brings back their natural shine.

I'm guessing these cloths remove some of the gold in the process? But I'm not sure.

So my question is: Do Jewellers Cloths damage watches? And if so, is there a generally accepted number of times they can be used per year?

Thanks for your advice.

Screenshot 2020-03-11 at 18.10.53.png
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 11, 2020

janice&fred, Perrier and DaveK like this.
  3. whiskeredbat Mar 11, 2020

I live in Singapore - tell me about humidity:). No experience with Blitz. I use Town Talk (TT) cloth, made in UK, on all my watches, gold and steel. If you can find TT go for it as they have one pack for gold and another for silver/steel. It will only remove discolouration (reddish hue) from gold cases and gray off-colour from silver/steel. Just wiping will do you like using a microfibre cloth on your spectacles. Just remember - never wash your polishing cloths.

janice&fred and Perrier like this.
  4. Evitzee Mar 11, 2020

To most people using a jewelers cloth is not an issue if used lightly to remove surface oxidation. However, there are some people who don't want anything stronger than a simple wipe with a plain cloth lest it remove a sub-micron amount of metal.

connieseamaster likes this.