Forums Latest Members

Dishonest WRUW Watch "Liking"

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 28, 2020

A burning question, because inquiring minds want to know the proper answer.

Don't tell any one, but I "like" on WRUW for various other reasons besides the watches only. I enjoy "liking" as I go. Because of a certain narrow-mindedness in watch tastes I wouldn't be nearly so "like-able" about the WRUW watches if I only "liked" what I actually do like.

Some "liking" is for longtime WRUW participating Forum members. Some is because of wittiness or cleverness displayed in a WRUW post. Some is for encouraging newbies, Some is for photographic quality and composition or other interesting content (especially human interest) in a photograph. Some are awarded to the shabby ol' "survivor" watches as an atta-boy. Some "liking" is actually because I find the watches appealing. Some "liking" is ... just 'cause.

Could this be said to be dishonest "liking?" Is this a confession? Should there be a Forum thread addressing this issue?

WRUW is a great feature here on Omega Forums for there are some astonishingly fine watches as well as some winsome characters ... ahhh ... that is to say ... members here.

Edited Dec 29, 2020
  2. wagudc Dec 28, 2020

All are legit reasons for liking a contribution to the forum in my book. You don't have to like the watch to like a post. Likewise, I might decide not to "like" somebody's absolutely gorgeous, amazing, vintage submariner that I really, really love (and jealously covet) because dammit they have the watch they don't need my "like" . . . OK maybe that is a problem. I think I need professional help . . . or a vintage submariner.
    ;);)

Matty01, Mad Dog, khanmu and 11 others like this.
  3. Yak1 Dec 28, 2020

Facebook has trained me to “like” everything. It’s just a reflex now.

Mad Dog, Fish70, khanmu and 13 others like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 28, 2020

My goal is to have the best post to like ratio without including WRUW.

I rarely post in there unless I’m pulling something out that I never wear and is special in some way.

5. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Dec 28, 2020

It was only earlier this year that I realised that my tally of 'likes' was an indication of likes received.

Until then, I’d assumed, obviously incorrectly, that the number of likes under my avatar disclosed the number of 'likes' I’d awarded ::shy::

6. abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

I generally tend to like WRUW posts if these conditions are met:

- I like the watch

AND
    [ -I like the member for their other contributions
    OR
    -It's a particularly unusual watch for this forum's WRUW thread ]

Sometimes I don't 'like' them if it's from a member who only posts in WRUW, never anywhere else, because this isn't Instagram.
    Similarly, I also save the 'liking' of watches I don't particularly care for but posted by people I do, for Instagram.

(I bet I know who 'likes' this post first though! hehe)

Mam, Mad Dog, CPRwatch and 8 others like this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 28, 2020

Well.............there is one, isn't there.

:D

sonicosa, CPRwatch, Vitezi and 5 others like this.
  8. abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

BE THE FORUM THREAD YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD

Geezer, Fish70, Dr.Sascha and 14 others like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 28, 2020

I enjoy WRUW sometimes, then might not look for a few days/weeks. Tend to like the whole page if I post there. (Free likes)
    Otherwise it’s if I like it, I like if I don’t, I don’t.

Sometimes when reading long catch up threads from the night before I forget to like as I’m reading the 10 posts the other half of the world posted whilst I was asleep.

Find that the WRUW thread is a lot more modern watches than earlier years here.
    (Becoming very instagramee also)

Lonestar, CPRwatch, TLIGuy and 3 others like this.
  10. abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

upload_2020-12-28_23-43-27.png

And I'd have bet wrong lmao

CPRwatch, TLIGuy, apsm100 and 2 others like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 28, 2020

CPRwatch and TLIGuy like this.
  12. KAP Dec 28, 2020

I occasionally will go to WRUW to look at a few pages of watch postings but I rarely have posted unless it is to show a recent watch acquired or an activity where the watch is included. Early on I found it helpful to in discovering the diversity of watches and what I liked and so it influenced future hunts and purchases. Turns out I especially liked the early years of the posts. It seems in more recent years that there are quite a few members that post to WRUW which are addicted to likes.

Edited Dec 28, 2020
    STANDY, CPRwatch, wagudc and 2 others like this.
  13. KAP Dec 28, 2020

Retract your “like” you added to my post @STANDY. It doesn’t seem appropriate.

Edit: thank you for deleting!

Edit: Hey @DaveK you too

Another edit: You too @TDBK

Everyone please leave me alone. I don’t want to be liked!!!! I should have never posted to this thread

Edited Dec 29, 2020
    Mad Dog, revmiguel, wagudc and 6 others like this.
  14. alam Dec 28, 2020

hey! hey! hey! wait it minute!! are you telling me now that you really don't like my new GMT with multiple bezel configurations when I received a "like" from you??!!! How could you!! :(

Agree ;)

:p

E8C9FB86-783D-49E2-BCAA-5374D651178D.jpeg
    Fish70, airansun, CPRwatch and 5 others like this.
  15. arturo7 Dec 28, 2020

That thread should give you a choice between yup, nope, and meh.

89-0, CPRwatch, Vitezi and 4 others like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 28, 2020

I like honesty though. Now I feel like a Indian giver now.

( can I say Indian giver nowadays ? )

17. abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

@Foo2rama cause he's a COMPUTER NERD

we really need to add a laughing emoji to the list :D

Mad Dog, airansun, CPRwatch and 4 others like this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 29, 2020

I’d like to point out you are inadvertently the gamma rays to my Dr Banner. I was just a Omega newbie with a 3313 PO and an interesting Speedy Date, that had just joined the forums with sub 200 posts when I bought my (in hindsight) not quite birthyear speedy from you. And yes you still have dibs on it if I ever sell it.

this of course solidified my presence on the forum.

he only beat me by a few minutes :).

19. apsm100 applysome! Dec 29, 2020

I've been off instagram and facebook close to 6 months now, I can't remember what instagrammed watch posts look like.

I think I don't have the mental bandwidth to add on a daily browse through WRUW onto my rigorous eBay (and others) searching. :p

CPRwatch, TLIGuy, kov and 1 other person like this.
  20. TLIGuy Dec 29, 2020

I find watching posts that get "liked" or do not receive a "like" a fascinating thing to watch not just in the WRUW thread but other posts as well.

Over the years it has been interesting to figure out who likes who and who doesn't like who and who doesn't like me simply by observing "likes" on a post. I don't post much anymore in the WRUW thread but when I have it is interesting to watch how all the posts on one page can get a "like" from long standing members and my post does not receive a "like." I don't think that is simply because my picture is bad, I believe it is a personal slight against me. It appears to be a conscious effort not to hit the "like" button scrolling down the page liking every post down the line and then skipping TLIGuy's post. Over time you notice the same members always skipping your post while liking all the others. That only leads me to the impression that the person does not care for me as forum member or my content.

For good or bad, I think the he observation of "likes" has been an interesting way to reveal what members think of each others content.

Mad Dog, Rumar89, Syrte and 8 others like this.