Dirt under the bezel

Just took my Seamaster Diver 300M into the Dead Sea, again. An environment un-suitable for life but certainly suitable for a dive watch with "Sea" in the name. However, when I went to clean the watch after getting home, I noticed some grinding when I rotated the bezel, and some dirt came up between the bezel and the crystal face when I put some pressure on the bezel.

Is there a good way to get salt/mud out from behind the bezel? Soaking it or something? Or just drive on until the next servicing? Cheers.

Every time I use a watch in the ocean I clean it with water and then sink it in a glass with clean water for a couple of hours. Never had a problem. From time to time when a rotating bezel is attached, I put a drop or two of liquid silicone between the bezel and the glass and give the bezel some complete turns, clean the excess with a paper towel and voilá.

Not sure how the Seamaster bezels are designed. Looks like you need a special tool to take them off. If sand is really stuck in there I wouldn’t just rinse it off and move things around but learn how to take it off and get the appropriate tool. On my older Rolex it’s easy and every now and so often it’s better to remove it and clean it that way.

IMG_0338.jpeg

Or a simple Tupperware container for 30 minutes and a wash under running water will do 👍
IMG_3396.jpeg
IMG_3396.jpeg
Edited:

You could have a watchmaker remove the bezel and clean it out. It's pretty straightforward with the right tool and knowledge.

I don’t think it was wise to take the watch into the Dead Sea. The problem is in the high concentrations of salt in its waters. Maybe you should put the watch into some vessel with a clean water and change the water several times. The salt should dissolve.

Wear it in the shower and give it a few slow turns while under the running water. Soap and water will flush out just like the contaminants came in. It’s a sport watch after all…… plus it will smell better 😁

I took the bezel off of my 2254.50 using one of those rubber grip ring style removers. Pretty easy for me but it probably depends on the condition of the retention spring. I'd think that thoroughly rinsing the watch should correct this issue. Whatever got in there should be come out the same way.

Warm water of shower temperature or so won't pose any threat to your watch and will do a much better job if it's an issue of salts of one kind or other left underneath the bezel.

If you can't clean it manually, take it to a competent watchmaker, preferably someone with an Omega account, and they can remove it and clean the bezel. It takes a special tool, not a case knife like some other dive watches.

The tool looks like this:

images.jpg

A watch shop can remove the bezel and clean it. It's not expensive and should only take an hour or two.