Forums Latest Members

Did I spot a scammer or am I just being paranoid?

1. lonemian Sep 21, 2019

Recently, I picked up a vintage polerouter watch for a good price (All original parts but redial, $740) from an eBay seller with feedback score of 10.

While researching about the seller before I pay, I found two fishy events of the seller.

#1. The seller got a feedback from a seller who didn't buy his item (and re-listed), while not getting one from a seller who bought the (re-listed) item. - The recent (and the only one I can see the detail of it) feedback of the seller is from a buyer with 10K feedback, who CANCELLED the transaction. - the item is resisted and sold to other buyer who didn't left any feedback.)

#2. The seller once sold a watch at a pretty low price to a BANNED buyer. 2 months ago, the seller sold a watch, polerouter date (Different from my purchase) to somebody for $330, who is banned from eBay now. (albeit I don't know the status of the buyer 2 months ago)

Since I'm in SE Asia, shipping + custom clearance normally take time up to 1 month, so I'm pretty vulnerable to eBay scam. So I always do heavy homework before any purchase with buyer with less than 100 feedback.

I have been lurking on eBay and forum to secure polerouter date.... and I really want to end my long journey to get my watch! is my suspicion reasonable? or paranoid?

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 오전 12.51.24.png
  2. Lazy_Lightning Sep 21, 2019

Paranoia is more beneficial before the sale than after.

DaveK, connieseamaster and apsm100 like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2019

Caution is always wise, I tell people this a lot but you are not losing anything by walking away if it doesn't feel right. Ask questions, be skeptical, request proof, use safe payment methods.

DaveK and Hijak like this.
  4. asrnj77 Sep 21, 2019

Is he using eBay global shipping? They require the package be sent to them first and then they resend to you. While it’s possible he ships you a salt shaker he still has to ship something. In this case I think you’re protected by eBay.

5. lonemian Sep 21, 2019

I asked for and received a photo of the watch with background paper my eBay ID is written on, so it’s clear that the seller has the watch. then is it safer to go?

Edited Sep 21, 2019
    larryganz likes this.
  6. redpcar Sep 21, 2019

Edward53 and DaveK like this.
  7. WatchCor Sep 22, 2019

Yes, and yes. If you pay with a method that makes the purchase eBay protected then it is quite safe. Although it is a PITA to start a dispute but still. Although remember ,nothing is ever 100% safe. Particularly on eBay.;)

If you decide to go for it, remember to take photos of the package before opening and then video the whole unpacking process (in case he sends you a salt shaker). I nowadays always take a video of the unpacking.

JanV, DaveK and larryganz like this.