Forums Latest Members
  1. bvertz Feb 2, 2017

I brought my 168.005 Connie Deluxe to the repair shop of a respected seller. I instructed them not to polish or restore the case, crown, hands or dial. The tech told me that (a) the watchmaker will not provide a photo of the movement after work is completed; (b) the crystal might need to be replaced; and (c) they usually replace the crown but would use the same part. I told them I did not want the 10-sided crown to be replaced, but if it were necessary, I would want the original returned to me. They said they would not because the used part could be sold on the black market.

When the estimate came in, it said they would replace the "gold-plated" crown. I rejected the work order and asked them to return the watch without service. For the price they are charging, I feel I should get photos, an assurance that the crown will not be replaced unless absolutely necessary, and if it is, I should get the original back. Am I being paranoid? Should I have given different instructions to maintain the integrity of the watch?

2. bvertz Feb 2, 2017

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 2, 2017

Not paranoid at all. Find another watch maker..

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 2, 2017

I would tell them to pound sand and find a watchmaker who will abide by the customer's wishes.

5. redpcar Feb 2, 2017

Not paranoid. You just experienced arrogance from a shop that evidently has so much business that they feel they can dictate their terms. Simple fix is to find a friendly shop.

Jwit, chronos, Northernman and 5 others like this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 2, 2017

Are you sure you didn't accidentally take it to Omega? :D

Jwit, avwatches, chronos and 8 others like this.
  7. ajg1960 Feb 2, 2017

I wouldn't have left it there in the first place since it sounds like they were uncooperative from the start.

8. t_swiss_t Feb 2, 2017

Seems crazy for an unaffiliated watch repair store. It's your watch (and parts) to do with what you'd like.

Also.. what black market? Are they afraid of the FS section?

Jwit, chronos and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 2, 2017

Ridiculous. Glad you pulled the watch.

chronos likes this.
  10. sxl2004 Feb 2, 2017

Run, don't walk.

Jwit, MaiLollo and noelekal like this.
  11. repoman Feb 2, 2017

I would have walked-away at "won't provide picture"....

chronos and efauser like this.
  12. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Feb 2, 2017

Your reaction sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I would have done the same thing.

Syrte likes this.
  13. micampe Feb 2, 2017

Is it common for watchmakers to provide pictures? I understand Al does it, I never thought about asking my watchmaker. I trust them, it's just nice to have the picture, but it's also additional work for them.

14. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 2, 2017

This does sound a lot like an Omega service centre, when I spoke to them here about returning parts their response was they do not as it may assist in fakes and frankenwatches. Perhaps this watchmaker wanted to sell the crown on the black market? Otherwise what, he will destroy it?
    Sounds like you took the correct option.

Edited Feb 2, 2017
  15. tyrantlizardrex Feb 3, 2017

My experience of the people I've used:

STS will happily if you ask.

Omega Southampton UK won't.

Paul at Electric watches won't.

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 3, 2017

Re photos
    Watchguy does as part of their service
    Re crown
    You can't get a new Omega 'same' crown like that
    Replacement crown is knurled
    Re parts
    They should return them
    Even if it's just for proof of replacement

Definitely find a new watchmaker

17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 3, 2017

You did very well, if your watch is solid gold they are thiefs. To remove solid gold original crowns without justification and replace them with "gold plated" is theft. You should tell them and name them.
    There is no "black market" for original vintage parts, selling original vintage parts is perfectly legal and legit and that is a lame excuse for stealing gold from their clients.

Edit- if they do that on a routine basis that gives them material to melt and sell solid gold strap buckles with the Omega brand on it, which my mother's watchmaker offered to do once. (Turns out he too had failed to return a gold crown he had been asked to replace with a larger one to ease winding).

18. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 3, 2017

Christian @WatchGuyUK and Mitka @Mitka always do.
    It's part of a great business idea of Christian.
    https://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/library

If you do not want your watch shown in the public domain, they will give you a private link.
    Recommended!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  19. ConElPueblo Feb 3, 2017

I like the photos provided by Watchguy as well, it's one of the reasons I use their services.

@bvertz, Regarding the crown - the one on your watch is gold plated, not solid gold.

Northernman likes this.
  20. Searching Feb 3, 2017

I send my Seamaster to Mitka from Watchguy UK. The made an exelent work and photos of all they did at my Watch. Everypart they changed i got back without saying something. Its not easy to get a booking ticket but if you get one everything is perfekt.