Did I miss a great deal?

Hello guys

Literally just a few moments ago, I had the chance to buy this Connie from an unknown date for roughly $350. Unfortunately, I was too hesitant and someone snagged it away.

There was nothing of relevance being told about the watch in the description, just that it's being sold and that it had warranty (I am as shocked as you are 😀 ). The seller was a new member at that auction site (0 reviews). I looked into his other offerings and the only other thing he has been selling is a vacuum cleaner. I have suspected that it's a normal Joe selling off an old watch for cheap he doesn't know anything about.

Anyways, I tried to quickly evaluate the watch with what I have learned so far and I would like to quickly know your opinion if you would have passed the offer or bought it?

Assessment
The dial seemed to look fairly clean.

The markings were spot on and uniform. Apart from the "C" in "Certified" (looks a little bit thick-ish on the lower part) everything seemed to be factory original and matching up with what I have seen so far.

The applied onyx hour markers were matching up with the onyx hands.

The crystal was Omega marked.

The housing looked not bad but has been polished around the lugs.

(I think) the crown not to be the right one.

Unfortunately, there weren't any shots of the movement (but I would have picked up the watch in person anyways and could have opened it myself).

I am a little bit suspicious about the case back because I am not sure if I have seen a case back with such a raised medallion.

The fact that someone else snagged it away while I was debating with myself if the watch had the characteristics of a genuine Connie makes me feel that I have missed out on this piece.

Pictures

It’s 18k gold for $350 😲

I'm going to assume it's scam. Was he based in Austria? There have been a ton of low cost watch listings from people with zero feedback showing up lately and all from one area.

Super random listings too. Nivada Chronomasters, high value divers, etc.

I could be wrong and you missed a hell of a deal.

I'm going to assume it's scam. Was he based in Austria? There have been a ton of low cost watch listings from people with zero feedback showing up lately and all from one area.

Super random listings too. Nivada Chronomasters, high value divers, etc.

I could be wrong and you missed a hell of a deal.

No, it was based in Switzerland.

I hope it was a scam 😀

I hope it was a scam 😀

You don’t hear that everyday

You asked a good question. Don’t let what others are bidding colour your judgment in future auctions. I’ve seen people bidding full retail prices + for obvious fakes. People get caught up in thinking that if someone else is interested, then I should be too. Better to miss out then to buy a turd, or a non-existent watch.

Edit: I don’t collect currency, but for fun I put a $10 bid on this well-used $100 bill. Seemingly well-used, so I thought not likely a fake. And with those creases, not likely any collector value. Still the bidding went up to $100 plus fees. Maybe the buyer got a rare collectable, but I wonder if they really just didn’t want to lose the bid and overpaid

Edited:

Those are some perfect photos with the hands set to 10:10 and the Omega logo in the crystal in focus.... for someone who doesn't know how to use sold auction listings as a reference. But I guess anything is possible.

You don’t hear that everyday

You asked a good question. Don’t let what others are bidding colour your judgment in future auctions. I’ve seen people bidding full retail prices + for obvious fakes. People get caught up in thinking that if someone else is interested, then I should be too. Better to miss out then to buy a turd, or a non-existent watch.

Thank you for the kind words! I guess, you are right after all! This shouldn't be the mindset when you're trying to pursue something. It might be that the other bidder is an idiot as much as you are 😀

Based on the Kennwood kitchen cooker he's selling for $400 (retail $2000), the Dyson vacuum cleaner that is up for $350 (retail $750) and the floor these things were photographed on (expensive looking dark wooden floor), this appears to have been a real deal at a real steal price. 😀

First world problems I guess 😉

Those are some perfect photos with the hands set to 10:10 and the Omega logo in the crystal in focus.... for someone who doesn't know how to use sold auction listings as a reference. But I guess anything is possible.

Is this a reference to ebay?

This is a national auction site only for Swiss. Unfortunately, you can't query successfully sold offerings on that website.

Is this a reference to ebay?

This is a national auction site only for Swiss. Unfortunately, you can't query successfully sold offerings on that website.

It was, so that makes more sense.

Maybe you're just building up your luck-points for the next deal that shows up. That $50 Submariner you'll find at your local flea market.

It was, so that makes more sense.

Maybe you're just building up your luck-points for the next deal that shows up. That $50 Submariner you'll find at your local flea market.

A few years ago, I have found a genuine IWC Chronograph Rattrapante with double split seconds (the one with 3 pushers and 2 sub dials). I think my luck has already been harvested. 😀

I have been in similar situations and if the bite isn't too big, and I can pay with a way that's protected, I may roll the dice and risk it. It also gives me more confidence when I see they do have other listings unrelated to watches, and as you said, these appeared to show the same background which helps prove it at least exists.

Sorry to say I think you may have missed a deal, but go ahead and message him right now and ask, "any other old watches laying about?" ...before somebody else does.

You get a lot more sympathy and love for having missed that deal than to have started a thread that said "hey, look at what i just bought for $300!" I can only write "i am so happy for you" and really mean it so many times.

Sorry, tough to come this close. But better to be the guy who missed the sale than the guy who sold it.

When you start to look at enough of the references you love you won’t even need to hesitate and contemplate.
Just today a rarity (not expensive but rare) watch I had been looking for popped in my saved searches. It was a regular auction with low starting bid and didn’t want to lose another one- again.
I saw it, knew the reference well enough to not even flinch, contacted the seller and asked if they would take an offer and within 5 minutes the watch was mine- nobody else stood a chance.

Unless an obvious scam, even with a no feedback seller, Paypal is generally good about refunding if you don’t get it (provided the site you were using takes PayPal), and make sure it’s linked to a credit card for a second layer of protection.

This is like the opposite of those "commemorative coins" they sell that are usually modern quarters or something absolutely common, and paint them up to then charge "Only $25 each!"