Forums Latest Members

Deployant, Deployante, Deployment, Clasp

1. ulackfocus Jan 31, 2016

Really? Then it would have been spelled a-k-s-e-d instead of a-s-k-e-d.

..... unless you mean in Cockney, and some American low-rent areas, where it's pronounced that way.

2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 31, 2016

Yes, really, and it likely was back in Elizabethan times. Remember, there are pockets in the United States where the language spoken is a lot closer to Shakespeare than it is to modern American English.

Tom

3. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 31, 2016

I thought we all agreed on it - some time ago - that it was the dolphin that got flogged?

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 31, 2016

I not sure if it would be possible to care less or not...

Traveler, RawArcher and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  5. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jan 31, 2016

A lot of people say frustrating as flustrating. They are wrong. If I were one of them, I would want you to correct me.......
    Is it ass or arse?

VetPsychWars and ulackfocus like this.
  6. abrod520 Jan 31, 2016

What about people who drink expresso?

7. ulackfocus Jan 31, 2016

They get to Coffeetown faster than the espresso drinkers. ::rimshot::

alam likes this.
  8. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 31, 2016

I am pretty sure there are a lot of visitors and participants here that does not have English as their first language. If too many threads/posts end up in a language/spelling/grammar debate it might be that some of them just do not care or dare to post. I am not one of them and I do think it is both funny and entertaining most of the time - but for the benefit of the site - a little caution could be exercised sometimes.

It would be sad if knowledgeable people did not care to post here just because they are not 100% sure about their English.

9. ulackfocus Jan 31, 2016

J, this is the internet. If somebody's skin isn't thick enough to handle a little thing like this, then they shouldn't be on the web.

Traveler likes this.
  10. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 31, 2016

This is a nice site - based on knowledge. Pity if knowledge is based on English - not watches.

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

In this case the linguistic battle is between Brits and Americans.......never going to resolve that. :rolleyes:

Traveler likes this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

To be fair, I wouldn't dream of posting on forums in languages other than English or Spanish as my command of other languages is rather poor.

I applaud those that post here that are not fluent in English and try not to pick on them over linguistic issues.

I work in an office with people from virtually every Spanish speaking country in the Western Hemisphere. What is funny in Spanish to one person could be an fighting insult to someone from the next country over. I have an easy way of not offending anyone.

English only in the office.
    gatorcpa

13. lillatroll Jan 31, 2016

When America gained indepence the powers that be held a vote as to whether or not America should adopt English as the official language or German. The vote was 12 for deutch and 13 for English. I don't think zee Germans would put up with ziss changing of zee words willy nilly:)

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  14. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 31, 2016

Insert Monty Python of your own choice:

Here.

Edited Jan 31, 2016
  15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

That is a myth and it never happened. Technically, there is no official language of the USA.

English was used as most of the Continental Congress spoke English as a primary language (although many spoke multiple languages fluently), probably due to the fact that they were descendants of British colonial settlers.

Where I live, election ballots are printed in three languages, English, Spanish and Haitian Creole.
    gatorcpa

lillatroll likes this.
  16. lillatroll Jan 31, 2016

Thanks for the link, that was an interesting article, and just goes to show how mis information can quickly become presented as fact ( like people who say deployant is the only correct term:whistling:) (sorry, couldn't help it)

17. ulackfocus Jan 31, 2016

So you like to poke the beehive with a stick too, eh? :p