Forums Latest Members

Deployant, Deployante, Deployment, Clasp

1. Leftinthelurch Jan 30, 2016

Hey everybody, I'm just looking for a steel deployment clasp. Could anybody recommend a good brand/place to purchase one? Also, are they comfortable? What are people's experiences? Thanks all!

Edited Jan 30, 2016
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2016

First the name is deployant clasp. There are many brands, which are you looking for?

3. lillatroll Jan 30, 2016

There is no such word as deployant in any English dictionary in any English speaking country in the world. The closest word you will find is the french term deployante but this word is only found in French dictionaries . In the UK deployment is equally correct or incorrect depending on your point of view.

4. alam Jan 30, 2016

Comfort will feel different to each user. I find Omega OEM d-clasps super comfotable to wear, easier to put on/take off [from the wrist] and tend to be gentler to strap wear. I have seen folks around here selling Omega clasps stating comfort/fit issues as the main reason to ditch them.

Edited Jan 30, 2016
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2016

Not according to the watch companies
    Deployant is a translation from the french;
    deployante
    There are many nouns that are not in dictionarys.
    This is from www.chronocentric.com:

Deployant Clasp a clasp mechanism for use with watch straps. This allows a leather or other watch strap to operate similar to a watch bracelet. This gives a nicer, more finished appearance than the traditional tang-type buckle on most straps. Sometimes mistakenly called a 'deployment' clasp.

Plenty of discussion here:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/time-settle-once-all-deployant-vs-deployment-360266.html

As to deployment:
    1. 1 a : to extend (a military unit) especially in width b : to place in battle formation or appropriate positions

2. 2 : to spread out, utilize, or arrange for a deliberate purpose <deploy a sales force> <deploy a parachute>

3. intransitive verb
    4. : to move, spread out, or function while being deployed <the troops deployed along the front> <the parachute failed to deploy>
    de·ploy·able play \-ə-bəl\ adjective
    de·ploy·ment play \-mənt\ noun

Archer, noelekal, Traveler and 2 others like this.
  6. lillatroll Jan 30, 2016

Chronocentric is not a dictionary. I am aware that deployant clasp is a commonly used term to describe a particular type of clasp. In britian Deployment clasp is commonly used to describe the same type of clasp. Both deployant and deployment are technically incorrect but both are used and understood to describe a particular type of clasp depending on where you come from in the world. This being so, it is wrong to use either deployant or deployment and we should all try to use deployante or we should accept that both deployant and deployment are acceptable terms.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2016

Well that's your opinion :p

I will continue to purchase deployant clasps from Omega, because that is what they list and sell.;)

Traveler and lillatroll like this.
  8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 30, 2016

Maybe accept that the OP was not asking if the word was correct, but looking to be pointed in a direction, and what people think of them?

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2016

Which was done. "There are many brands, which are you looking for?"

Traveler likes this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2016

I like this. How shall we pronounce it, de ploy ant, or de ploy anté :D

11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 30, 2016

Sorry, I was replying to the previous post. Yours posted just before mine did. Should have used Quote :oops:

12. abrod520 Jan 30, 2016

I think deployant is an Anglicized form of deployante therefore should be used.

Archer and Traveler like this.
  13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 30, 2016

I like the OEM Omega clasp. Like any other that uses discreet holes for adjustment, you might get stuck with a choice of too tight or too loose. I find that I like that it can be used with both leather and rubber straps.

If you're a little OCD, when it doesn't sit just right on your wrist, the tail end might stick out. After a few weeks of compulsively straightening, it'll be ok, though.

Also nice that on eBay you can source many aftermarket straps. I bought mine from Otto Frei.

Also avoid the cheap copies. I find that they're bent too sharply and don't fit well on my European-descent American wrist.

Tom

14. lillatroll Jan 30, 2016

It doesn matter, I am going to buy mine from Ofri because they sell deployment clasps, so,its not going to be an issue. But if I was to get on the dog and ask for one I would say de ploy ante or can I have one of them claspthingys that no one says right and everyone would know what I was on about::confused2::

Nathan1967 and cicindela like this.
  15. Davidt Jan 30, 2016

Speedmaster isn't a word either.

In response to OP. The Omega deployants are great but they do limit the straps you can use with them. Most generic leather straps aren't compatible.

16. wsfarrell Jan 30, 2016

If you're searching on eBay, you'll want tp use the "deployment" spelling.

I have both the genuine Omega clasps, which are absurdly expensive, and the eBay clones, which I find to be just as good and vastly cheaper. The main thing I like about them, which people don't seem to mention much, is that they start and remain well-centered on my wrist. Regular leather buckle straps (and standard metal bracelets) tend to ride up to one side.

17. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Jan 30, 2016

I'm getting spooked by this whole conversation. I just looked up Heuer in the dictionary and THAT word is not in there. From now on I'm calling those watches Higher!

lando, NT931, timjohn and 1 other person like this.
  18. abrod520 Jan 30, 2016

Or you could go with deployant, and choose to support those who make the effort to spell it correctly ;) :D

19. ulackfocus Jan 30, 2016

Do you guyz really want me involved in this same old discussion again? :confused:

Autocorrect turns Breitling into Breathing. :cautious:
    NEVER!!!!! :eek:::censored::

It's deployant, derived from the French word for "folding". Simple as that.

Traveler and RawArcher like this.
  20. alam Jan 30, 2016

multiple deployments may result in PTSD... well-made deployants will set you back several hundred dollars... :D

Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 2.16.04 PM.png
    rcs914, noelekal, 1685 and 3 others like this.