Forums Latest Members

Danger Will Robinson...The Peruvian Scammers Are Back!

1. blacksharpie Jun 3, 2015

2. wsfarrell Jun 3, 2015

This is getting too weird.

3. devnull Jun 3, 2015

I want just like that... On my job from time to time I get to shove my hands inside of server racks. There are lots of sharp bits of metal in there and I'm always afraid to put a gash on a nice watch.

If somebody has a case with glass and pushers that looks like it was found in the gutter of a busy highway please pm me ;)

4. sulaco Jun 4, 2015

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Omega-Speedmaster-321-Refer-10501265-/131528040887Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    i asked them about a buyitnow price, because. i thought it was a US Deal.
    They sound totally legit and even send a paypal invoice with a name that sounds like a real company.
    When i recognized that it was from Peru, i asked for a picture of the watch with the actual date on a newspaper, tv screen or computer screen.
    But the just did send me the usual white paper background with their name handwritten on it and the watch next to it.
    He even explains afterwards that he will no send pictures with the potential buyers name written on a paper next to the watch, because of potential scammers.
    ::facepalm1::

I really wonder if they have these watches.
    image.jpg

Name is Manuel Lopez, just for the record and the contact on ebay is Miguel Zevallos

5. Senorx Jun 4, 2015

I'm also a new guy on the forums. I PM'd George and he took a chance on me. He located the perfect 3570.50 Speedy. A wire transfer later and I had my Speedy a couple of days later. Before this forum, I was bidding on Speedys on EBay. I'm glad I never won any of the auctions and bought from George instead. The words "Buy the seller" are so true.

On another note, I would definitely pay to be a member of this forum and support the site. ;)

Edited Jun 4, 2015
  6. TNTwatch Jun 4, 2015

It's the same scammer trying to sell cheap 321 speedies on Watchnet a couple of weeks back, with stolen pictures and located in 3 different countries... Paypal invoice has company name but uses gmail...

faid2black likes this.
  7. faid2black Jun 4, 2015

Same guy sent the same exact photo to another member in discussions over a different watch here. He likely stole the photo from someone else's listing.

8. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 6, 2015

blacksharpie likes this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 22, 2015

10. wsfarrell Sep 22, 2015

I must be naive, but I thought it was really hard to get a fake eBay account and almost impossible to get a fake PayPal account. (By "fake," I mean one that you can just walk away from after pocketing the $4k or whatever you get for the watch, then start over with a new one.) I thought it required credit card, verified address, etc. How do they do this?

11. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 16, 2015

OmegaCal66 and Baz9614 like this.
  12. Baz9614 Nov 16, 2015

I was just looking at this and though I'd hop on OF to see if anyone has posted something? I'm fairly new to vintage omega, but this one looks ok other than it appears to have the wrong bezel? So my guess is that this is a straight fraud, and no watch truly exists? Is this common from Peru? Or EBay in general, and one should buy the seller, not the item?

13. Baz9614 Nov 17, 2015

Update: I contacted the seller to see if he had a buy it now price, and he agreed to sell for $2700, so I asked him to send me a pic with the time adjusted to 6:05 and he initially came back with " I think not necessary, we are protected by PayPal". I replied insisting on the pic, and he hasn't replied since! That was 5 hrs ago.

Dash1 likes this.
  14. dantaspaulo Nov 17, 2015

The thing is that it's fairly easy to set up multiple PP accounts in Peru (at least MUCH easier than in Brazil or the US; in Brazil, due to tax and government regulations we need to provide PP with a valid tax ID and they are paranoid about scamming. I had my PP account frozen and the funds were withheld just because someone with a similar name had a negative balance. Only when I sent them a copy of my driver's license and a bank statement for the account I have linked to my PP ID did they release my PP account).

The MO of most of these scammers is to set up multiple accounts, do just enough business to have the limits lifted and then they'll screw with PP, as we are protected. I was scammed a couple of years ago when buying a Chronostop from Peru and while it was not that bad to get my money back, it's always a hassle and a huge disappointment as in the end we just don't have the watch we were on the hunt for.

Unless doing f2f business, I'd never get anything from Peru again, especially if it's a fantastic 'deal'.

Baz9614 likes this.
  15. dantaspaulo Nov 17, 2015

Baz9614 likes this.
  16. Baz9614 Nov 17, 2015

17. grizzlycanuck Nov 17, 2015

Probably not willing to meet f2f, he's always traveling, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Mexico City, it's hard with that travel schedule, especially when you don't even travel. Bigger problem when you don't have the watch either [emoji16]

Baz9614 likes this.
  18. wsfarrell Nov 17, 2015

Some of these guys are very clever, and scary. I was in the SF Bay Area and responded to one of these ads, asking if they would be willing to meet. The seller responded immediately, saying he was in San Jose (California), 10 miles from where I was. That stopped me cold. I'm assuming he figured out my location from my IP address. Whatever, I was not about to go find out.

19. ping pong patina Nov 18, 2015

wow a dangerous world out there. Thanks for bringing it up

20. ping pong patina Nov 18, 2015

would you guys rather buy/sell in forums or ebay? Just a show of hands...