Forums Latest Members

Danger Will Robinson...The Peruvian Scammers Are Back!

1. TMas Nov 18, 2015

I buy from forums because that's where George hangs.

2. flw history nerd Nov 19, 2015

I just took the plunge and bought a new SM300 on eBay ... it arrived yesterday and it's perfect. But I investigated the seller thoroughly (Serge, based in Chicago area, sells as "todreamawatch" on the Bay and the Rolex forum, as well as elsewhere I assume), and he's the real deal. The price was really good, and the watch arrived less than 24 hours after I clicked the "buy it now" button ... but I must admit that I hesitated, simply because it's eBay. I looked at prices and seller backgrounds as much as I could, and I waited a while before pulling the trigger. So I completely understand the caution. I think our best protection from scams is each other, using the forum to post and read threads like this. Shared information is the best defense.

vadimo likes this.
  3. gophishin Nov 19, 2015

What's with steady stream of in demand vintage speedy's at low prices on watchnet lately? The sellers are seem to be from South America and are able to post all of the pertinent details of the watch, but "don't know much more" since they usually deal with other products. I contacted one today to see where he was located, and of course it's Buenos Aires, and claims to have a verified PayPal business account. If that's the case, wouldn't the buyer still be protected?

I mean, if I requested pictures of the watch on today's paper, my name written, etc., and paid via paypal via credit card, you'd have recourse right? Not sure why I would inflict undue punishment on myself to find out, but more just curious as to how they are able to actually scam funds out of this.

http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=752389&rid=0

4. abrod520 Nov 19, 2015

The scammers know that Speedmasters are particularly hot right now, and getting hotter.

This guy joined November 2015, posts:1 ... there can be no doubt. I'm not sure how they get away with it, probably from people who don't think and just pull the trigger immediately on the pricing, but I'm sure if you requested those photos, he'd either ignore you or, in some cases I've seen, send you a poor photoshop!

5. gophishin Nov 19, 2015

Yeah, I won't be playing with the one post wonders. I'm just more confused as to how they actually get money if it's going through "verified" PP accounts.

And for the people that do get scammed (somehow), all of these that I've seen are by sellers that joined in the same month, no other posts, and most seem to be on watchnet as of recent.

6. abrod520 Nov 19, 2015

PP buyer protection, from what I've heard, isn't 100% safe. Sometimes you'll lose your money; sometimes PayPal bites the bullet and refunds you. As you suggest, it's possible that getting the proof-of-watch photos could cover you in the event you do pay & get scammed, but I wouldn't rely on that ;)

gophishin likes this.
  7. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 19, 2015

Vast majority are Watchnet and they're all very consistent. Pricing at about 50% of market and very legitimate sounding descriptions. It's when you send them an email that the wheels fall off the bus. One of my friends that's just gotten the Speedy bug looked into buying one and was relaying the back and forth to me in order to fact check. Thankfully, I should add, because when he asked for a picture of the movement on a 145.022, he was sent a (very) blurry video of a cal 321 running. SMDH

gophishin likes this.
  8. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 19, 2015

Should add - I tried to buy from a Mexican seller that I was 95% positive was one of these scammers. I basically alerted PayPal as soon as I sent the payment that something seemed off and they immediately froze his account, at which point he had 14 days to respond. When he predictably never responded, money was refunded. So I don't think he got the money anyways.

gophishin likes this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 12, 2016

Even the Peruvian Scammers can't find quality Ed Whites anymore :whipped:
    STAY AWAY!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/222184225346Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    image.jpeg

Edited Jul 12, 2016
  10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 12, 2016

That can't be the same watch. It's at a totally different angle.

11. Baz9614 Jul 12, 2016

I like the 1039 clasp with flat links, then the rest of the photos show a modern bracelet with 676 links :eek:::facepalm2::

12. mks4 Jul 15, 2016

Kind of funny, I own that exact Ed White above...I bought it in December and just got it back from a service. It was originally listed out of Venezuela and then Florida (I'm from Florida and we get loads of folks who visit over the holidays from SA...so who knows), so I took the risk knowing I had PayPal protection. It's actually a really nice watch in person but certainly no safe queen. I bought it for the case and feeling that it was worthwhile for the parts value alone...it ended up being too nice to part out IMO aside from the bracelet.

Sad to see that someone is using the images elsewhere now...

13718713_10209894398136876_6896997802096097005_n.jpg

Baz9614, sky21 and gemini4 like this.
  13. Nactex Jul 17, 2016

I guess the old adage "if it is too good to be true, it probably is" applies. The Russian Federation and their $500 BIN watches seem to have a constant presence and continue to suck buyers in.

14. Tubber Jan 16, 2017