Forums Latest Members

Danger Will Robinson...The Peruvian Scammers Are Back!

1. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 24, 2015

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201315996784Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

They have a different look now. An EB rating of >100 but look closely at their feedback. Churning out multiple daily tiny purchases to grow their feedback rating quickly. And now, out of the blue, they decide to sell their first EB item....a Speedmaster 105.012......what a coincidence.

All you new people stay away. They seek to make a side PP deal and run away with the $. AVOID THIS SELLER.

2. Eric_navi Mar 24, 2015

Curious to know, can you share how they end up running with the money if the deal is done through PayPal?

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 24, 2015

I suppose I should restate that they run with Paypals money. As a buyer, you are protected thru PP but it takes a few weeks to sort it out and get a refund. How PP deals with these guys, I don't know. They surely aren't setting up these scams without the expectation of a seedy profit. Check out my, and others, earlier Peruvian posts from a couple of months ago. I don't think I'm wrong.

Look closely at their feedback. All 100+ purchases were in the last month. Their churning a > 100 rating to now start scamming on the sell side.

Edited Mar 24, 2015
  4. Eric_navi Mar 24, 2015

Got it, I agree they are shady. Thanks for pointing this out... I was just curious as to how they pocket your money around Buyer Protection

Asking because I had a very very very unfortunate incident regarding PayPal recently, where I lost a fair amount of money, buyer protection was of no help. But that's for me to post in another thread

li0n likes this.
  5. li0n Mar 24, 2015

Woah, how you manage to spot them? He just seems like a normal regular private seller who is selling his old watch which has just been taken out from the socks drawer not long ago...

Ebay is getting dangerous for buyer now.

6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 24, 2015

Once burned, twice learned

sarir97, Beefylugs, Temiyasen and 3 others like this.
  7. Eric_navi Mar 24, 2015

Ain't that the truth.

8. E-diddy Mar 25, 2015

Thanks for the tip, Gemini4. Seller built up a reputation on a foundation of $.99 cherry muffin recipes. Hope he put them to good use.
    I have to remind myself constantly "buy the seller", even if i pay a little more.

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 25, 2015

I tend to agree...the saying form me goes something like "Buy George!"

persco likes this.
  10. justwatching Mar 25, 2015

I once passed on a speedy because the seller had "0" feedbacks. Turns out the watch was legit. And now this scammer with 100% positive feedback?

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2015

NO feedback as a seller , LOL.

12. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Mar 25, 2015

I think these Peruvian Speedy seller are becoming the new Nigerian scammers. A while back, I got an email out of the blue from someone claiming to be from Chile, asking if I collected vintage watches and whether interested in his vintage Speedy. I responded that I'd be interested only if the he agrees to use a trusted watermaker as an intermediary, and never heard back again. I wonder if there are now email address lists being exchanged among these South American scammers.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 25, 2015

I was contacted out of the blue by PM here on OF with someone selling some watches. I just ignore it.

Should these be reported?

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 25, 2015

YES!

15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 25, 2015

Oh, me too...I'lll report.

16. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2015

If any member gets PMs from other members that do not have selling privileges or it smells like a dead fish please PM me with their username!!

17. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2015

BINNED!

Now it just goes to show how important the 200 post count is! Without it he could have just listed it and any one of you could have had your hard earned cash taken from you!

JimJupiter, vadimo, persco and 5 others like this.
  18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 25, 2015

Thank you.

Here's a stupid idea. why don't you charge a fee to join the forum that can be refunded after 200 posts but NOT refunded it banned for breaking the rules? then give us the chance to get back or to donate it to you? Maybe if they have to pay to join we'll get less of these little pests. Besides, after 200 posts most here will probably donate.

oddboy likes this.
  19. Flingit1200s Mar 25, 2015

Well, I am a long way from 200 posts as I move slow and I am glad for the rule and glad that the mods here are proactive about keeping things as safe here as is possible. I've seen some "for sale" posts that require 200 posts for the buyer and understand their reasoning as well. Fortunately George was willing to take a chance on me and sell me my first Omega. This is a well run site. Well done all and thanks again George!

davidswiss and Tjmmartin like this.
  20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2015

Not a stupid idea but one that is not compatible with founding principles established by the founding fathers.

Trev, vadimo, blubarb and 6 others like this.