Forums Latest Members

Croton Antarctic NOS...is it legit?

1. RonH Aug 13, 2020

I came across a listing for Croton Antarctic NOS for around $600..... How common is to find NOS of this watch....and what can I check to ensure not franken watch or knockoff? Says movement is ST 1686 (a Schild). Will give link to seller if anyone contacts me privately...or has experience with this dealer/seller.

il_794xN.2476521777_dv5s.jpg il_794xN.1124840244_bbg0.jpg

2. janice&fred Aug 13, 2020

I don't know about the "NOS" part but the watch does look legit.

Waltesefalcon and RonH like this.
  3. RonH Aug 13, 2020

Thanks. Is the price fair? I know very little about the NG Antarctics and less about the Croton versions...or which was better. LOL

janice&fred likes this.
  4. janice&fred Aug 13, 2020

I suppose an online search could help with value, as I am usually way off in that dept :D

5. SkunkPrince Aug 13, 2020

No difference in quality between Nivada or Croton that I have seen. The Croton I have of my father!s is good quality.

RonH likes this.
  6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 13, 2020

Looks rather low end? Chrome case and nickel balance? Not worth anywhere near$600 in my book if so.

OmegaP99 and RonH like this.
  7. SkunkPrince Aug 13, 2020

You bring up a good point. During the quest to get parts to restore my father's watch, the watchmaker and I discovered that it came in two versions, 17 jewels and 25 jewels. My father's watch was the 25-jewel version and labeled as such.

So it might be that Croton did market their watches at two price points. But I am not Croton expert by any means.

RonH likes this.
  8. ZIELSZIEK Aug 14, 2020

Do you want this specific style Croton? There are nicer ones to be had out there, in my opinion.
    If I were to make an analogy they were a lot like Caravelle, they had lower end watches(chromed cases and lesser movements) and medium end watches with stainless steel cases and better movements.
    I wouldn't pay 600$ for this one. I also don't like the claim about it being NOS, but maybe I am wrong. Does it have a seal on the caseback? A hangtag?
    If it doesn't I'd bring it up with whoever is selling it, maybe they will offer a better deal, if you really want it.

9. RonH Aug 15, 2020

I was intrigued by the new release of the NG Antarctica series....and then the vintage versions. I like the plain sophistication of the new model. So I was just poking around to see what a nice Antarctica vintage watch might go for and whether I felt the need or not. LOL

ZIELSZIEK likes this.