Crosshairs, what do they mean?

Posts
14
Likes
36
Hi, I’ve been trying to find out what the original intention of the crosshairs on the dial are.
I can’t seem to find any concrete answers

I was hoping I may find out on here

cheers
 
Posts
3,272
Likes
14,212
On a watch dial, crosshairs are simply reference lines that help improve at-a-glance legibility. That, and they just look cool 😎
 
Posts
2,298
Likes
3,155
Crosshair watches are mostly used by snipers and hunters to keep their eyes focussed 😉

Falke-Zielfernrohr-1-6x24-L4-Jagd-03.jpg
 
Posts
18,302
Likes
27,671
They serve the same purpose as rear wings on front wheel drive cars.
 
Posts
35,639
Likes
39,893
They serve the same purpose as rear wings on front wheel drive cars.
Ah so it’s for looking fully sick bro
 
Posts
1,603
Likes
2,717
I think I read some vintage ad that said they were put on dials to 'emphasize attention to precision' or something like that.
 
Posts
532
Likes
3,231
It's a shame that there are so many cracks in the dial.

I'm sure at a distance it creates the effect of having "a nice patina." 😀
 
Posts
3,600
Likes
9,154
I think I read some vintage ad that said they were put on dials to 'emphasize attention to precision' or something like that.
Like the early Chrono-matic ads that said the placement of the crown on the left was to emphasise to the new owner that no longer did they have to wind their chronograph every day. And didn't mention that given the limited time to get it into production that was the the only way they had found to get all the gubbins into the case.