Forums Latest Members
  1. Joe Public Dec 26, 2017

Hi

New to the forum. I'm Wondering if someone could help me buy my first vintage omega please. I've seen a watch on ebay I like.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIG-MENS...697468?hash=item4d6a683abc:g:huIAAOSwYeRaP88jPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It looks a bit too good to be true.

If it's legit I don't mind paying over the odds, I want to wear it as a dress watch. I've tried to work out what it will fetch, but bids on sold watches seem to vary a lot for slightly different watches.

Cheers

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 26, 2017

It is a real watch.
    The dial has been refinished
    The hands replaced.
    The case polished, but retains the original shape, though not the crisp edges.
    The watch needs to be serviced so that will at least double the price.

You must decide what you want. collector? wear? price? size? appearance?

mario linus likes this.
  3. dan7800 Dec 26, 2017

Spend time on the forums and then buy. You will be better off after you spend time learning to fish

4. Joe Public Dec 26, 2017

Id like someone I can wear as a vintage dress watch, 33 to 34mm. original & nice to look at, Some patina is fine but not wear they look bad, with a dial with numbers like the one I posted. Looks good on leather strap. Oh and in Europe.

Its a minefield

Thank you for your help

5. Joe Public Dec 26, 2017

I'm trying but I just don't have an eye for it

6. dan7800 Dec 26, 2017

It takes time. Find a model you like and then learn all you can. You'll eventually be an expert

Caliber561 and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 26, 2017

Take your time google things. Ask questions if you don’t understand something. We much rather answer questions for a new collector, then take time to research and evaluate multiple watches for someone that’s never coming back to the forum.

Start by googling the model number on the inside of the caseback. Look for the movement number on the movement and make sure they match. These are a good place to start.

mydeafcat likes this.
  8. Vitezi Dec 26, 2017

9. GordonL Dec 26, 2017

+1 to all the above.

Also learn to read ebay sales pitches very carefully. The words "original" and "Dial" do not appear together in the same sentence.....

Candle00 likes this.