Constellation Help

Hi everyone,

I have recently came across this C case on eBay and have fallen for the dial.

The overall condition is not 100% and I could see why many would maybe say to avoid BUT I have never came across this blue dial before!

Does anyone have any information on this dial? (Is it original?) Also do you think it is something that’s after a restored glass and tidy up would be a nice addition to hold?

I have been able to get this (not yet purchased) for £430.. Which I don’t think is so bad?

Does anyone know what the yellow around the case back is?

Thanks

Looks okay to me, there were a number of 168.017 color ways, here’s my gray

Seems okay and a decent price. I've seen some different colors of green and blue on these enamel dials. I'd expect some cracking in the enamel that likes to hide in pictures but they're most often cracked. I believe the yellow ring on the case back is the original gasket.

Original Omega case back gaskets were/are yellow. Note the rotor has severe wear showing.

Original spider dial, I've seen this but passed on it only because I'm overpurchased as far as blues go, for your luck recently there was another one on auction, I ended up getting that one, I love playing spider roulette:

Yours is worth that amount even with no dial, case condition seems worn but flawless - in comparison, I suspect mine has bezel damage around 2'o clock

Your dial seemed risky to me though, some lume pips might be re-done, and there's some residue under the Constellation star, UK is also slightly risky as far as watch purchases go, best watches are from UK but sometimes you get duds too

With these said, I'm sure the watch is going to positively surprise you

I don’t seem to see any of the cracks in the pictures I posted, is that concerning?

also in terms of the glass, where could I source an original omega replacement?

I also have the 1040 brick bracelet however I can’t seem to find the 516 end links, does anyone know where I can source these too?

Thanks

Looks ok. A good polishing of the crystal (or replacement) would help a lot.

I don’t seem to see any of the cracks in the pictures I posted, is that concerning?

also in terms of the glass, where could I source an original omega replacement?

I also have the 1040 brick bracelet however I can’t seem to find the 516 end links, does anyone know where I can source these too?

Thanks

As far as I know, endlinks for 1040 to fit 168.017 should be 518.

You'll see the cracking in person, it's what gives these dials their characteristic trait, never seen an enamel dial on a C-Case without spider web cracks

Thanks

Thank your lucky stars that you’re buying an Omega.
If this was a Rolex, you would have to pay extra for the ‘spider-web’ defective dial ( or any old defect that vintage Rolex watches suffer from)

I don’t agree with your word selection, by that logic anyone who has aged is defective

It’s the natural progression for these dials, I think it would be a defect only if it was done irregularly from mishandling etc

Can I ask in all of your humble opinions, is this worth £430?

The case isn’t perfect but the dial alone makes it worth that and more. ( IMHO)

It can sell between $800-$2000 depending how it cleans, I suspect closer to $800 based on the photos - worth in my opinion is at least tenfold

I don’t agree with your word selection, by that logic anyone who has aged is defective

It’s the natural progression for these dials, I think it would be a defect only if it was done irregularly from mishandling etc

I'm pretty sure that Omega didn't intend that their watch faces would 'age' with cracks in it - hence it is a blatant defect rather than natural ageing.
(but regardless of what you call it, I'm a fervent advocate of keeping the crappy Rolex-mania for valued defects out of the Omega world)

Close up of my cracked lacquer

when I got it I was asking if it could be arrested fearing it might worsen in time but after 10 years it is still essentially the same and only visible close up.

Original spider dial, I've seen this but passed on it only because I'm overpurchased as far as blues go, for your luck recently there was another one on auction, I ended up getting that one, I love playing spider roulette:
@kaplan -- curious how this one turned out. I was tempted to take a swing at it.