Considering this for my first vintage speedy (145.022)...

Hi it is my first time posting here, but I thought that this might be a good place to start... I have been sitting on the sidelines for quite a while, but I am finally ready to pull the trigger. Would love to get any input that those here might have if this might be a good piece to start my vintage Speedy journey with! Seemingly this was a 1 owner watch... Thanks in advance!

Also take a look at the Marketplace thread on the Omega Forum.
There are a lot of nice watches for sale there.

Well, there's a few things to say about this piece. A lot will depend on the price.
Regardless of that, the grimy lume and the bezel are a turn-off and so is the lack of an original Omega (signed) crown. At the right price, I could still get tempted, but mainly because of the bracelet, which seems in good nick and is valuable including the end links, and the box (possibly including papers). The latter is quite collectible too.

I have to agree with Aludic and Dan. The bracelet looks good and is valuable, but the condition of the watch concerns me. Unless it’s very cheap, I would continue to look for something better.

On top of the already identified the dial is also damaged between 6&7 at the step.

Wow that is rough. The box is probably worth more than the watch lol. I'd take the lot at $3K and throw the head away.

Well….
I understand that you have the Speedy-itch…?
But I do hope that you have done some research before?
And you have a price in mind regarding this watch??

Speedmaster101.com is the best place!
And also here on the Forum.

Som members have already pointed out some stuff,
but I will to try help you:

You need better pictures of the watch, and also of the movement.
Do you have the serial nr?
A one owner you wrote - are there any service records/info etc??

Looking at the pictures that you have posted:

The dial is very hard to assess, but there are some damages, and also possible oil stains/blemishes.
The lume plots are not the worst, some lumeloss, but the color looks nice.
The bezel is very poor.
The hour and minute hand have lost their lume.
Looking at the crystal, there might be a crack or something else going on (from 3-6).
The case and caseback have been polished, but they look good.
Wrong crown.

Nice bracelet and box!

The movement - ask the seller to start/stop/reset the chronograph, and see if the subdials reset?
To be honest, you need much more pictures (sharp and detailed) before pulling the trigger!
There are a lot of Speedys out there, so try and have patience.
:rolleyes:

(I dont.....;))

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

Well, there's a few things to say about this piece. A lot will depend on the price.
Regardless of that, the grimy lume and the bezel are a turn-off and so is the lack of an original Omega (signed) crown. At the right price, I could still get tempted, but mainly because of the bracelet, which seems in good nick and is valuable including the end links, and the box (possibly including papers). The latter is quite collectible too.

Thanks for the input. It seems like the general consensus is to pass. I am going to see it in person this weekend, still would be curious at what price it would make sense in your mind?

Can you just buy the bracelet and the box?

Haha, unfortunately I don't think so... I didn't realize the box was so valuable on these...

Also take a look at the Marketplace thread on the Omega Forum.
There are a lot of nice watches for sale there.

Thanks and I actually haven't bought anything on here quite yet. This one was super interesting because I could see it in person but maybe going online is the move.

Wow that is rough. The box is probably worth more than the watch lol. I'd take the lot at $3K and throw the head away.

Wowsers, again didn't realize that the box on these were so valuable....

Well….
I understand that you have the Speedy-itch…?
But I do hope that you have done some research before?
And you have a price in mind regarding this watch??

Speedmaster101.com is the best place!
And also here on the Forum.

Som members have already pointed out some stuff,
but I will to try help you:

You need better pictures of the watch, and also of the movement.
Do you have the serial nr?
A one owner you wrote - are there any service records/info etc??

Looking at the pictures that you have posted:

The dial is very hard to assess, but there are some damages, and also possible oil stains/blemishes.
The lume plots are not the worst, some lumeloss, but the color looks nice.
The bezel is very poor.
The hour and minute hand have lost their lume.
Looking at the crystal, there might be a crack or something else going on (from 3-6).
The case and caseback have been polished, but they look good.
Wrong crown.

Nice bracelet and box!

The movement - ask the seller to start/stop/reset the chronograph, and see if the subdials reset?
To be honest, you need much more pictures (sharp and detailed) before pulling the trigger!
There are a lot of Speedys out there, so try and have patience.
:rolleyes:

(I dont.....;))

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

Thanks for all of that. I have been watching/reading a ton of Speedmaster101 which I found really helpful. One reason I was focusing on considering this one is just so that I can evaluate in person as I have not been able to see a 145.022 in person yet. I am going to be in the town where it is located on Saturday so I can see it in person. Patience is definitely good advice as well!

It's a great opportunity for you to handle it in person and try it on. Definitely do it, but don't feel that you have to buy it. I don't necessarily want to buy every watch I can buy at a fair price.

@bikerunrepeat An alternative view…..you are talking to a tough crowd here.

(Generalisation Alert!)

Most are collectors, most collectors would like to buy vintage watches that were bought and never worn.

If you like the watch and can buy it at an acceptable price, want to wear it, don’t care about the judgement of others then go for it. It does look very lived in but personally I like that and would grab it at 4k, sell the box and bracelet, get it serviced and live happy ever after with it on a selection of natos, straps and Uncle Seikos!

But then I bought this pos and paid a silly amount to make it acceptable to me!

IMG_1726.jpeg IMG_1763.jpeg

Takes all sorts.
Your money, your call.

It's a great opportunity for you to handle it in person and try it on. Definitely do it, but don't feel that you have to buy it. I don't necessarily want to buy every watch I can buy at a fair price.

Thanks and yeah trying is going to be super helpful, even to just have the model in hand to know what to expect out of others.

(Generalisation Alert!)

Most are collectors, most collectors would like to buy vintage watches that were bought and never worn.

If you like the watch and can buy it at an acceptable price, want to wear it, don’t care about the judgement of others then go for it. It does look very lived in but personally I like that and would grab it at 4k, sell the box and bracelet, get it serviced and live happy ever after with it on a selection of natos, straps and Uncle Seikos!

Takes all sorts.
Your money, your call.

I like your style. Most of my vintage pieces are a bit more "lived in" which I like the idea of and also realize that something perfect would be a different category/price all together. I think that I could definitely make this one work at the right price, of course really depends on the sellers idea of the right price...

(Generalisation Alert!)

Takes all sorts.
Your money, your call.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Not every member of OF is a collector and most who are would not care if a watch had been worn or not provided that it’s a good example of the reference in question. New members come here to learn, not to have us validate their prospective purchase of a watch in poor condition. I agree that at some price point this watch becomes a purchase candidate, but primarily for the bracelet and the box. The watch itself is tired and would likely require considerable work - and expense - to make it into a decent daily wearer. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the input. It seems like the general consensus is to pass. I am going to see it in person this weekend, still would be curious at what price it would make sense in your mind?

Parts value for me would be 4k USD, tops. And as said by others, that’s mainly the bracelet and box, but there sure is value in the case, caseback and probably the movement. The hands, dial and bezel seem to be too far gone to put any meaningful value on.