Forums Latest Members
  1. aesguerra Mar 13, 2021

.......... not a fan. :(

E7A251DC-442B-45D0-A107-256907CC63F7.jpeg

I guess I got a bad gasket. It’s the only thing that makes sense since the only recent exposure to water was a quick crown-down swish under a low faucet trickle of warm water as I cleaned it before putting it back on its bracket.

Off to my appointment at Toppers.

2. Donn Chambers Mar 13, 2021

sorry to hear that. Is this a new watch? If not, gaskets do go bad and yearly pressure tests are recommended even on non-dive watches.

not that I’ve ever done it even on my dive watches. :)

3. aesguerra Mar 13, 2021

LMAO! That made my afternoon! :) As a similar type that doesn’t get the yearly pressure test, I feel less like a neglectful idiot!! LOL!

Five year old watch. Toppers was pretty much got straight to drying it out. Now the wait to see what their watchmaker says; he comes back to work on Tuesday.

wagudc likes this.
  4. LuckyLes Mar 13, 2021

I have an old 70's Geneve that is no longer drip proof because of corrosion around the inside of the case. If I go outside in a slight shower of rain it will fog up on the inside. I just stick it in a container of rice over night to dry it out. Not in the same league as your FOIS I know, but an easy way to dry them out if you are nowhere near a watchmaker.

marco and wagudc like this.
  5. cvalue13 Mar 13, 2021

In the past year on this forum I’ve heard of more than one FOIS with this issue - off hand, I’d think this the third mention of it in a year

was @padders one of them?

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 13, 2021

Thought it was normal and thus the name? (FOggy InSide)

marco, Duracuir1, KeithS and 6 others like this.
  7. Mra12345 Mar 13, 2021

Mine was brand new and condensing so 5 years you’re doing well

8. Blackdog Mar 13, 2021

Sorry to hear that.
    Exactly the same thing happened to me with my CK Pulsemeter. Less than one year old watch, bought directly from the OB.

It dried out and didn't thought much of it, after all it is not a watch I intend to get wet often, but weeks later I was checking the dial details under a loupe and noticed signs of corrosion on the hands.

It got all sorted out under warranty in the end: full service, 5bar test and new hands, of course.

Definitely have it looked at.

9. Donn Chambers Mar 13, 2021

oh, well. Probably will recommend a service, which I would do in this case. Mine is also approaching 5 years - better go get a pressure check! :)

10. aesguerra Mar 13, 2021

YIKES! Well, that just may have settled things! Thanks for the insight!

11. ConElPueblo Mar 14, 2021

True story - this night I had a dream where water leaked into my FOIS. Ruined the dial at around 3 o'clock...

Had completely forgotten about it until I saw this thread!

Awetaylor, DaveK, Jones in LA and 2 others like this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 14, 2021

Nope not me. Mine is fine.

There was a spate of reports (well 2 or more) last year or the year before about the Trilogy Speedmasters and Railmasters fogging I seem to recall. It happens.

cvalue13 likes this.
  13. Hamish02 Mar 14, 2021

I was thinking exactly the same thing. One of them was mine and I commented on someone else’s. A case of Baader-Meinhof or are FOIS just a bit crap with water? Fixed efficiently through Omega, however, as @padders said, it happens.

cvalue13 likes this.
  14. Blackdog Mar 14, 2021

Mine was in a showcase at the OB under the typical strong light. I chalked the fogging up to possibly dried our seals... but today everybody is using LEDs anyway... so maybe I was just rationalising a case of "sh1t happens"...

I found signs of corrosion around the lume cut-outs of the hands. This was only visible under 10x magnification, mind you. But corrosion tends to grow. The watch technician at the AD confirmed it when they took the watch in, and Omega decided on a full service under warranty, which I think was the right move.

Now you're probably wondering what was I doing with a 10x loupe: I was looking for the concentric lines in the sub dials...;)

cvalue13 likes this.
  15. Stevedssd Mar 14, 2021

I had condensation issues with both CK2998 models.
    The Pulsometer was the worst and took three attempts by Omega before it was sorted.
    [​IMG]

I then found a NOS blue version. It was nowhere near as bad but once I noticed the slight condensation I could never unseen it (you can see it on the hands and around the top of the sub-dials). This one was repaired by Omega at first attempt. The numbers suffering condensation are obviously very small and I was certainly unlucky but it put me off buying another.

[​IMG]

16. Blackdog Mar 14, 2021

I understand that the CK/FOIS case uses different pushers to the Pro. Could it be an issue with the sealing of the pushers ?

I mean, the Pro cased Speddmasters probably outsold the FOIS by 500 to 1 in the same period, and we don't hear about so many condensation issues with those.

cvalue13 likes this.
  17. cvalue13 Mar 14, 2021

I wonder, though, if those with the condensation issue in past have learned which seal has been the culprit.

18. Blackdog Mar 14, 2021

Not me...

19. Evitzee Mar 14, 2021

Have not had any issues with my blue CK2998, but I'm not splashing water on it, either.

Edited Jun 9, 2021
  20. Stevedssd Mar 14, 2021

Me neither. In both cases they had a full service which would have included replacement of all seals. With the Pulsometer on the third and successful attempt it also had a replacement dial and hands.