Forums Latest Members

Condensation inside crystal of Aqua Terra after large temperature change

1. cgaites Jun 27, 2019

Hi all

I’ve recently returned from a business trip to a location on the east coast of the US where the local weather was 90F+ degrees and very humid. While on my flight home, after a couple of hours in a cold, dry airplane cabin, I checked the time on my Aqua Terra and saw some significant condensation on the inside of the crystal. Now, after an hour or so sitting crown up on my bed stand with the crown open, the condensation is largely gone.

I did not swim or shower with the watch during the trip. Other than the humid air, the only other potential water exposure was washing my hands. Any chance this is a harmless phenomenon? Just ambient water vapor in the watch condensing due to the large temperature swing? Does this definitely mean a seal is bad somewhere?

Either way, headed to the AD tomorrow to have them look at it as the watch recently had a full service by Omega and is still under warranty.

Some pictures below:

CC6231AE-C354-4873-BE41-5CF3BC14F100.jpeg
    This morning (before)

91E75CAB-215D-480C-BBEA-4D73099C8582.jpeg
    On the plane - crystal side

E74573C1-A973-4E02-94F7-21E990ADC736.jpeg
    On the plane - case back (no visible moisture)

Jamgantenk likes this.
  2. cgaites Jun 27, 2019

Now, about 3 hours after noticing the condensation, it is totally gone.

3AD57ED7-B226-43A3-877E-3387E7907C02.jpeg

3. Canuck Jun 27, 2019

“Any chance this is a harmless phenomenon?”

There are volumes on this MB on the topic of humidity, sweating, leaking, humidity, call it what you will. There are as many perspectives on these topics which are as varied as the opinions of those who reply. But i’ll give you my perspective. This is NOT a harmless phenomenon! I live in a dry climate, so my perspective is based on my experience. The last time I experienced this problem, it was with my 30 year old Speedmaster Professional. I dried it out immediately, and installed a brand new, correct, genuine Omega Speedmaster crown. Some will say the problem is caused by a high percentage of moisture content in the air trapped in the watch. I don’t believe it!

Since it was (apparently) Omega that did the work, strongly suggest the watch goes back to Omega.

4. Duckie Jun 27, 2019

Based on my own experience.
    I totally agree.

5. Walrus Jun 27, 2019

Recently posted a similar issue and yes it can be confusing as an internet search will give you 387 different answers on the subject. Another gentleman answered the question saying he got a new crown and in my limited experience that is usually the problem. Fortunately you had the watch serviced by omega itself so you shouldn’t have an issue. By the way very nice watch.

6. Canuck Jun 27, 2019

With your entire watch watch at body temperature, and no history of moisture showing up under the crystal under those conditions, consider this. If there is moisture in your watch, it would likely be inclined to condense on the coldest part of the watch. Usually on the case back or the crystal with the watch off the wrist. With the watch on the wrist, the crystal would be the coolest part. Therefore, if there is moisture in the watch, when the watch is cooled, the moisture should condense on the crystal. Hold a frozen ice pack on the crystal and see if condensation appears on the inside of the crystal. If it does, you need to have your watch checked for rust, conditioned as required, gaskets replaced, and water resistance tested. Right or wrong (in the opinions of some), that is how I see it.

CJpickup57 and Walrus like this.
  7. cgaites Jun 27, 2019

Thanks for all of the replies.

I did hold an ice pack on the crystal for a while and was unable to reproduce the condensation. So, I guess whatever moisture was in there was removed by a couple of hours sitting with the crown open in the dry Colorado air.

Tomorrow I will go to the AD and have then do a pressure test to confirm it is still water resistant. I guess the best case is that the air was just humid in the Omega service center, and no appreciable volume of water ever made it inside the case. Before the service I’d had the watch for several years, swam with it multiple times, and never had a problem. Either way I’ll push for another service by Omega to restart the warranty (the last was a couple months ago).

8. Gruesome Jun 28, 2019

Bottom line: the service center should not fill the watch with humid air (dew point above freezing). You could argue the dew point after service should be lower than anything the watch could ever reasonably experience (0F/ -20C ?), with a good safety margin. After the service, the watch interior dew point will slowly drift upwards.

9. JAAA Jun 28, 2019

If it's under the service center warranty, I'd be inclined to insist on a full once-over. A pressure test is merely a point-in-time measurement and is a limited indicator of how it will hold up.

10. cgaites Jun 28, 2019

The watch is headed back to Omega at no cost to me. Now to wait out the ~10 weeks it seems to take for an Omega service. Unfortunately my only other non-sports watch is also out for service :(

11. KeithS Jun 28, 2019

Only one thing to do then... buy a new watch to hold you over until the others are back!

In all seriousness though, I feel your pain. I turned two of my watches over for servicing and the wait is killing me.

CJpickup57 likes this.
  12. Lurk41 Jun 29, 2019

+1
    I bought a small Hamilton Khaki Field when I had my 2 Omegas sent for service :D

I do not know if it is the same in other countries but in France Omega put watches under warranty on the top of the list for service. The 10 weeks delay is usually reduced to 2-4 weeks

13. Alex_TA Jun 29, 2019

Interesting though that the problem occurred after Omega service.

14. alam Jun 29, 2019

15. cgaites Jul 5, 2019

Hi all,

Quick update. The diagnosis from Omega is in. Apparently the case back gasket was found to be damaged. As this could have only happened during the previous service (or maybe during shipping since it did pass a pressure test when leaving the service center originially?), the watch is being fully inspected and serviced again under warranty. I was also pleasantly surprised to be told that the watch be returned within a couple of weeks. I guess warranty repairs really do get some preferential treatment :)

Lurk41 and AntonisCy like this.
  16. cgaites Jul 5, 2019

Also, Keith S' post suggesting a new watch as relief for my "troubles" has almost convinced me to blow the rest of my annual watch budget on a new 300 diver in blue. Tried one on during the Aqua Terra's drop off and loved it.

AntonisCy likes this.
  17. snunez Jul 6, 2019

Glad to know that Omega's service is good. I guess one more reason to buy something still in warranty.

18. cgaites Jul 26, 2019

UPDATE: The AT is back from service. The final diagnosis was a failed case back seal. No indication of the cause, but I guess I have to assume the seal was incorrectly installed during the recent full service (though it did pass its pressure test) and then somehow compromised by the large swing in temperature during my business trip. Either way, the seal was replaced under warranty and the watch given another full service at no cost to me. All in all, the watch was out of service for ~4 weeks. Obviously would have been better if this never happened, but fortunately Omega made everything right in a timely fashion.

19. cgaites Jul 26, 2019

Back on my wrist and keeping good time (+1 sec per day according to the Toolwatch app).

9A98FD41-47FB-4B6F-A339-4A8E8CAE8494.jpeg

EricCsN likes this.