Forums Latest Members

Complete novice looking for his first vintage Omega. Budget?

1. blacktiger Mar 20, 2017

Hi,

I'm completely new to the watch collecting hobby, but I've been reading that one of the most popular brands of watch to start a small collection...is an Omega.

I'm in the market for a metal strap, but if a leather strap comes up then I'm completely open to that. I've a budget of around £150-£200 I know it's a long shot but if anyone could help and direct me to ones that I should be looking at on eBay or online, then I'd be so grateful.

I'm looking ideally for a watch with history, just love the idea of a 30 year old being passed down with it's huge history.

I'm 19, but have been a lover of watches since a being a young boy, I've had many watches over the years, of course these have changed massively within the style I liked at the time. For example I wore a series of blacked out watches, crazy I know! I'm currently wearing a Gold Hugo Boss, I know all of you watch collectors will be cursing me now, but again I was simply following trends! Now I want a watch that it isn't "trendy", I want a watch I can keep for ever and not only love for it's style and age, perhaps one that will even increase in value over the years, a watch I can look back on a know that was the first watch I got, first 'proper' watch anyway!

Hope that makes sense, any questions please just ask

Thank you!

Daniel

neilfrancis likes this.
  2. gop76 Mar 20, 2017

Welcome Daniel,

I would say that, with your budget, Omega is not the ideal place to start. With your budget, and without any knowledge, you, most likely, will end with a piece of crap in your hands that you gonna regret sooner than later.

There are lots of brands with a solid history and reputation, who made quality watches, that, with your budget, you should be able to find without difficulties a good specimen to start your collection: Certina, Roamer, Cyma, Mido, Tissot and many, many others. Think about it

blacktiger and Omega1 like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 20, 2017

Finding your first watch or any watch for that matter is really about the hunt.

Follow this forum for six months and continue saving your money. By then hopefully you will have not only the knowledge but the funds as well to buy a decent Omega.

Jumping on the first thing that meets your budget is a sure path to disaster.

4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 20, 2017

So true.

Here is my disaster, back from May 2012. Huge mistake, but all ended well as I was able to use the movement for parts I needed for another watch.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/any-ideas-on-the-year.883/

blacktiger likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 20, 2017

Excellent advice!

blacktiger likes this.
  6. ConElPueblo Mar 20, 2017

Truer words are hard to find on OF :thumbsup:

You have two options - you can either do a lot of research and get to know the ins and outs of vintage Omegas and find a great watch at a good price, or you can pay for someone else to do the homework for you and get that same watch faster and much more expensively. "Fast and cheap" often only ends bad...

With your budget there really only is one way. Which is the most fun way by far :)

blacktiger, KstateSkier and Davidt like this.
  7. ConElPueblo Mar 20, 2017

I'd say that one of the best options for one with a low budget would be vintage Seiko. Some absolutely amazing watches for next to nothing there - many here have several :)

8. WatchWarlock Mar 20, 2017

Hamilton and certain Longines too!

blacktiger likes this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 20, 2017

At 19 you are in complete command!

Tell your folks you need a couple hundred for books (or court costs if you aren't a student) and with 4-500 quid (no pound/sterling symbol on my keyboard) watch the "For Sale Private" section here.

Then, sit back and wait for us old farts to change the focus of our collection, get divorced or die off.
    Quality pieces that will last a lifetime and appreciate in value are sold here regularly!

Stas, blacktiger, ahartfie and 3 others like this.
  10. blacktiger Mar 21, 2017

Wow well all I can say is thank you all guys. Forgot to check this forum yesterday and was on eBay and researching most the day. Good job I didn't commit to anything in terms of Omega. Something like a Tissot does interest me, as well as Roamer I've seen this around also. I'll keep looking and get something of although lower in brand, higher in quality I suppose!

neilfrancis likes this.
  11. ConElPueblo Mar 21, 2017

Any new member wishing to learn more about this hobby should be directed to this thread and see how a nice introduction and good manners get more established members giving out sound advice and a friendly welcome.

@danielhurst - welcome on board, hope you enjoy it here. Now go and find an avatar picture..!

Btw, the "lower in brand, higher in quality" statement is very, very true. Also, it would help you immensely if you could pin down which style of watch you really like and which era of watchmaking appeals to you the most. Reflect on that after doing some research and it will help you finding a great watch that you'll keep on enjoying.

blacktiger likes this.
  12. RJwatches Mar 21, 2017

But from my own experience, the disasters I bought were the ones that taught me the most.

Jeroensv, Gigi, blacktiger and 2 others like this.
  13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 21, 2017

Start with Seiko...great watches for the money.

You can get a killer watch for not much...if you get the right one. The challenge is finding it, and as others pointed out, it takes time to learn...and then hunt.

blacktiger likes this.
  14. lillatroll Mar 21, 2017

If you are set on buying an omega that is almost within your budget then look for a mega quartz. Many will scoff at these watches because they are quartz, however with 250 quid or so and some patience they are out there. Rolex and patak phillipe, amongst others,made quartz movements watches, a long way off your budget, but they are in a different league to your casio quartz watches.
    If you want an automatic or mechanical watch then you should follow the advice of others and save a few more pennies, look for the best example you can find and don't buy the first thing you see that tickles your fancy.

blacktiger and ahartfie like this.
  15. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 21, 2017

@danielhurst
    echoing @ConElPueblo comment - the style of watch you want is important
    Stainless steel, gold cap/plate?
    however, IMHO you can't go wrong with a Tissot for the budget you are working with
    I don't know if you are aware but Tissot were (are) a sister company to Omega and some share movements wth Omega
    look for a late 60s or early 70s Tissot Seastar - they can still be found within your budget and are cracking watches
    here's my early 70s Seastar, my first vintage watch, 2481 movement (sister to the Omega 1481 movement) this is what got me into Constellation dome dials
    It wears really well on the wrist and and it's as accurate as my Connies after service
    ( you do need to factor in a service for a vintage watch )

before service
    SAM_5418.JPG
    after service -pic courtesy of the Watchguy
    IMG_3861.JPG

16. blacktiger Mar 21, 2017

Yes, I think that's going to be the best way to go. I sure have been welcomed here, really great to see the real veteran watch enthusiasts showing the ropes. In terms of the type of watch, I'm thinking leather strap, with a semi-tidy dial, something like the one shown. In terms of era, I think anything from the 70's and 80's would suit me perfectly, wouldn't really want to go TOO much older, but again I'd rather be shown the way for my first, and then start finding ones on my own afterward if that makes sense! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272587318...99&_trkparms=gh1g=I272587318401.N36.S1.R1.TR6Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Now, of course, the watches shown are out of my price range, although the Longines one isn't that's currently on eBay, however, I don't know enough about the watch to tell whether it's genuine, or if it's actually worth the money. Anyway, the watches shown in the images are all styles I absolutely love and would love to own similar to. I would like to keep an original leather strap if possible, I'm open to suggestions as always.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg
  17. blacktiger Mar 21, 2017

Regarding the metal, I read that stainless steel or infill gold is the best way to go. I'm guessing that stainless steel is cheaper. I would prefer to stay away from gold plated as I also read whilst researching that this type does not wear well and can be susceptible to visible scratches and scuffs.

Also, what's the average price for a vintage watch service for example on your Tissot watch? The most expensive the watch...the higher the price of service? Thanks :)

18. blacktiger Mar 21, 2017

Also, another stupid question coming up! When it comes to movements, what's best to look for, I would really like one with an Automatic movement, whether this is in budget or not...for example, is the name of the movement for example like your @Peemacgee 2481 is that a movement specific to the Tissot Seastar, your model...or is that a movement that is found in all Tissot watches from 1960-1970? Hope that makes sense! :)

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 21, 2017

actually SS is generally more sort after so commands a higher price than gold cap / fill / plate
    if it doesn't need new parts a service for an automatic can be had for sub £200 (yes I know this is your purchase budget!)
    manual watches are a little cheaper (to buy and service) and those with additional complications (think Speedy) will cost several hundred to service

blacktiger likes this.
  20. ConElPueblo Mar 21, 2017

Just as a heads up, you should know that the 80's were a bit of a "bad" time for most mechanical watch makers. No real innovation in the field and designs from that time are rather dated now. The early 70's is a good era for mechanical watches, but designs are starting to get more, eh, "funky", than "classy" to put it in one way. Most of the classic designs we think of today when discussing vintage watches are really mid-fifties to mid/late-sixties references.

blacktiger likes this.