Cleaning a pie pan dial

Is this fixable? Has anyone seen anything like this? I just got this in the mail. It almost looks like someone put tape on the dial, it got old, and when they pulled it off, it left some residue. There also appears to be a scratch (on the left side of the dial) on the coating, but not through to the metal.

I’m leaning towards sending it back, as it was clearly photographed in a way that hid this, but if it’s an easy fix, I’d love to know.

The word is don’t try it! You will be unable to make it better, but you might make it worse!

Is it the lacquer that is peeling ? I'm surprised there is lacquer since gold is not supposed to oxidize.
you can try to take off the old lacquer with warm water+lemon juice but the stamping can go with it, sometimes it works very well , sometimes it fails. you can try this kind of thing only if you don't mind to lose it.
I would not touch it !

I would return it.
I think that’s the smart move. It’s too expensive to experiment on.

thanks!

Maybe this is how the fake ones patina 😉

Where’d you get it? Any other photos you can share of the case (inside/outside caseback, crown logo, straight on photo to see case shape, wear on ends of lugs, etc)?

Maybe this is how the fake ones patina 😉

Where’d you get it? Any other photos you can share of the case (inside/outside caseback, crown logo, straight on photo to see case shape, wear on ends of lugs, etc)?

Here’s the original listing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Constellation-stepped-pie-pan-dial-ref-2852-2853-in-excellent-condition/276054353555?

I didnt bother opening it to see inside for myself. I wanted to decide whether it was worth sending back just based on the dial first.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
The case also looks very rough. Was that shown in the listing?

Publishing the listing photos for posterity as links break.

I do think the photos were taken in a way to present the watch better than it is. You definitely have grounds to return this, which is what I would do.

IMG_5993.jpeg IMG_6005.jpeg
IMG_5994.jpeg IMG_5995.jpeg IMG_5996.jpeg IMG_5997.jpeg IMG_5998.jpeg
IMG_6004.jpeg IMG_6002.jpeg IMG_6003.jpeg

Thanks for posting those, Scarecrow

from the listing, I could tell there was a scratch on the caseback and some damage on the back of the lugs, but the original finish is still visible. The front looked ok, not perfect, but pretty good for its age. The dial was why I bought it…the dial I received just doesnt look like the pictures

He called it patina but I don’t think most people here would agree with that. His photos didn’t show it, and he is calling the condition of the watch “excellent”. Doesn’t make sense at $7K, which believe is how much you paid for it. I would return it.

Do absolutely nothing to it except take photos.
The seller obviously photographed the watch in a way that hid the problem with the dial.

Initiate a return "not as described or shown" and conduct everything through eBay messaging.

Initiate a return "not as described or shown"
This is key for eBay to take you seriously.

Thanks for posting those, Scarecrow.............................

A good thing he did. I can't find the listing now, even by searching various options. Or maybe my eBay skills are fading.

I initiated the return, posted these pictures to it, and ebay immediately accepted it and sent me a return label. It’s going back in the mail today in the box it arrived in.

thanks everyone! I was leaning in this direction, but I’m glad everyone here agreed it was justified.

do think the photos were taken in a way to present the watch better than it is. You definitely have grounds to return this, which is what I would do
Especially at this price level…

Especially at this price level…
That’s exactly my thinking. I would have preferred to find one of these in great shape (as this was advertised) for around $6k or less, but I wasn’t feeling patient, which was worth an extra $1k.

For what I paid, however, it really should not need any work to be perfect. I can live with a few scuffs on the case-back, but not a dial that isn’t in good condition. Add to this that the seller posted a misleading description and set of pictures, and there’s no trust in the integrity of the movement or anything else.