Forums Latest Members

Chronographs - Vertical And Horizontal Coupling

1. dtd Jun 27, 2021

Thanks for your input, guess I will be taking it back to the AD to be checked out, but I fear it will have to be sent back to omega and take time...

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 27, 2021

It's a bit puzzling really, because if we go back and look at one of the photos in my original post:

[​IMG]

There are three wheel involved in driving and starting the chronograph. The drive wheel lower left is mounted to an extended post of the fourth wheel. This drives the coupling wheel, which swings in to contact the chronograph wheel.

Looking at the 3861 parts, the drive wheel is the same one used for all these movements, starting with the Cal. 321, so it hasn't changed. The coupling wheel is also the same one used in the Cal. 861/1861, so it hasn't changed. This tells me that the teeth of the chronograph wheel should be the same, so if that's the case, I have no idea why the 3861 appears to be suffering from this specific issue so much.

It's possible that there is something wrong with the way a bunch of these were adjusted for the depth of engagement of the various wheels that might be leading to this. The guidance for adjusting these is no different that for the previous models, so again it's strange that this would be so prominent on the 3861's.

3. dtd Jun 27, 2021

So you are saying that my watch is not the first you have heard of this issue?

Anyhow I will be talking to my AD after my vacation in the start of august, gonna be interesting to hear what they say.

4. Travelller Jan 12, 2022

Great info, well explained, thank you for yet another valued contribution to this community, @Archer :thumbsup:

p.s. I wanted to constantly run the chronograph complication of my new "Caliber 321" and while the parts are available, they're only available at the Manufacture... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caliber561 likes this.