Forums Latest Members

Chronographs classified as Chronometres.

1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 26, 2018

A movement marked unadjusted and if HPC means High precision.... might show a disconnect somewhere. Its only a 18,000 movement so its not like they are taking a higher bpm to mean more accuracy either.

bgrisso likes this.
  2. MarktheTime Sep 26, 2018

Welcome to my conundrum...ugh. Will be interested to see any replies.

bgrisso likes this.
  3. bgrisso Sep 26, 2018

agreed, I am just trying to understand the conventions, because it seems perhaps there are differences in how HPC designation was done, vs the later use of Chronometre designation. If I understand correctly HPC can be either chronograph or time only, but Chronometre is time only, and comes with a certificate?

I feel like I have seen multiple examples now of HPC dials without serialized movements, so it makes me wonder, are they all really frankens? As to the later use of Chronometre, I am less familiar, and less researched, and it seems more formal, with certificate, so I am less comfortable without serialized mvmt....

MarktheTime likes this.
  4. Moahunter Sep 26, 2018

Perhaps the clincher for the HPC designation would be an example of any additional paperwork that was supplied with the watch. Did this have any method for identifing the particular watch, like a serial number?

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 26, 2018

If it means high precision, then it would not have a movement marked un adjusted.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 26, 2018

Movements marked “Unadjusted” were for the US market. Extra customs duties were assessed on each adjustment to movements imported from Switzerland in those days.

I would be surprised if any of the HPC watches were originally sold in the US.

I would also have concerns about any HPC marked watch that did not have a serial number on the movement.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. bgrisso Sep 26, 2018

yes makes sense, this line of thinking seems reasonable.

so my next question becomes, anytime you see an HPC or Chronometer designated dial, without a serialized mvmt, then someone has been creating frankens?

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 26, 2018

In my mind it would be suspect. I'm not sure how a chronometer grade movement could be identified by the watch company without a serial number, since there would be no way for them to distinguish it from movements not tested. Also, the certificates generally have the serial number of the movement as well as a case number (if that manufacturer used case serial numbers).
    gatorcpa

aap and Foo2rama like this.
  9. bgrisso Feb 10, 2019

Two more examples......

in the first the dial is marked HPC and the cal 263 does not seem to have any special markings...

HPC front.jpg
    HPC back.jpg

second example, dial is marked HPC, at least "unadjusted" is missing from the bridge, but I don't see a mvmt serial, perhaps it is being covered by the oscillating weight?

HPC 2 front.jpg
    HPC 2 back.jpg

10. bgrisso Feb 12, 2019

Here is another HPC example with no markings of any kind on the cal 263. Seller says NOS, unworn, but seems like wrong crown and strap is much later period UG, so perhaps shenanigans?

HPC1.jpg HPC2.jpg HPC3.jpg HPC4.jpg HPC5.jpg
    Mark020 and bimbim1207 like this.
  11. bgrisso Feb 12, 2019

Have we established any rules at all to date on HPC ? I feel like we are lost in the weeds........

12. bimbim1207 Feb 12, 2019

this is one lovely example.

Mark020 likes this.
  13. Mazoue Apr 12, 2019

We have definitely not got to the bottom of this but here's what I think we do know:

- There is at least one UG advert showing a watch with 'HPC' on the dial (Sala P224) and therefore it's quite likely that watches left the factory with HPC dials

- Sala (P220) explains that it stands for High Precision Chronometer. I'm not aware of any additional proof that this is correct.

- We see HPC on chronographs and time-only watches.

- We only see 'Chronometre' on time-only watches. These all have serialised movements. There is a good thread here about verifying chronometres https://omegaforums.net/threads/universal-geneve-chronometre-how-to-verify.81943/

- What is clear is that HPC and 'Chronometre' dial designations did not mean the same thing. It was not simply that one came before the other; they co-existed.

- I am not aware of a single watch with an HPC dial that has the features that I would expect to see on a chronometre movement e.g. I've not seen an HPC watch with a bumper movement without 'unadjusted' on the bridge.

- Perhaps watches with HPC dials were sold in countries with less stringent regulations regarding chronometers? Or perhaps it was purely a marketing strategy and actually meant very little at all? What is puzzling however is how few HPC dials we see. If it meant very little and watches didn't have to pass stringent tests in order to have the HPC designation, then why not put it on more watches?

Here's an HPC Polerouter that I picked up recently. The Cal 138ss movement is completely standard without serial number etc.

IMG_7442.JPG

Zapatta, durri70, Woops and 4 others like this.
  14. bgrisso Apr 12, 2019

Yes I follow your logic, and agree. My first question would be if we have ever seen a single example of an HPC dial WITH any special markings on the mvmt? I cannot recall offhand. I know we have seen many many examples of HPC without any special markings on the mvmt. In fact so many it starts to confuse me, as I cannot imagine that every single one of these examples suggests a transplanted dial, its just too improbable.

15. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Apr 12, 2019

From the catalogue of the '100 years UG' auction by AQ in 1994 (also interesting: Compax at top with leaf hands and double 45 (I have a double 45 as well but unfortunately without leaf hands)):

IMG-2647.JPG IMG-2648.JPG IMG-2649.JPG
  16. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Apr 12, 2019

Double 45:

IMG_2574.JPG
    Zapatta and bgrisso like this.
  17. bgrisso Apr 12, 2019

I wonder if this is a misunderstanding that has been perpetuated, because we don't seem to be finding evidence of HPC dial watches being tested at Le Bureau de CDC ??

18. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Apr 12, 2019

Seems not that logic to me as well. As far as I know they tested movements which would be delivered as movement only (i.e. not installed in a case). If they tested complete watches it may have made sense to just sell them afterwards

19. Mazoue Apr 12, 2019

As I understand it, before COSC was formed in 1973, there were various rival local offices evaluating movements with differing approaches and levels of rigour.

Perhaps the watches marked 'chronometre' were evaluated in a different office from watches marked 'HPC' and hence a completely different approach was used?

HPC cannot surely mean nothing at all as otherwise why would we see it on so few watches and why is it used in UG advertising?

20. bgrisso Apr 12, 2019

Agreed. But the main problem we are facing is there seems to be no criteria at to evaluate a HPC dialed watch ?