Forums Latest Members

Check on Early Straight-Lug Polerouter Deluxe

1. kaapstadflaneur Dec 8, 2019

While checking out a local antique shop that usually has a few vintage watches in the case, I came upon the below UG Polerouter Deluxe Reference 10234-2 in rose gold. Gorgeous watch and felt great on the wrist, so I took some photos and did some research over the past few days to educate myself (I know a bit about Omegas, but not much about UGs). Apologies for the poor photos as the lighting in the shop was not optimal.

Serial number is 176xxxx, which puts it in the 1955-56 date range and the serial appears to be in the right range for the reference.

The dial looks good to my uneducated eye. Some spotting and crazing under a loupe, but not really noticeable on the wrist. I've looked at a couple dozen photos of other 10234-2s and the printing looks good to me, including the crosshairs, but I'm no expert. There is no UG shield applied logo under the 12 o'clock marker, but it seems like some of the earlier 12034-2s did not have the applied shield logo, at least from what I've seen online. The "Swiss" marking under the six o'clock dial marker is there, but it's partly obscured by the inner index ring.

The rose gold case looks like it's seen some polishing in the past and is a little soft compared to some others of the same reference.

I'm not sure about the crown. It is signed with a U pointed shield logo (rather overpolished) which I believe is correct for the period, but not 100% sure on the shape of the crown.

The shop owner showed me photos of the movement and caseback from a recent servicing/cleaning of the watch (I did not see the movement as he did not want to open up the case). Definitely an automatic bumper, which makes sense for this reference. Movement was clean and there was no indication of rub or discolored parts.

Welcome any thoughts/comments from the more experienced folks on the forum. Many thanks in advance.

IMG_2225.jpg IMG_2228.jpg IMG_2229.jpg IMG_2231.jpg IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg IMG_2232.jpg
    rustynuts likes this.
  2. rustynuts Dec 8, 2019

Looks nice. Seen a few of this reference with that type of crown so could well be the original. I guess the big question is, "how much?"

kaapstadflaneur likes this.
  3. Mazoue Dec 8, 2019

Looks correct to me too, including the crown.

That crazing on the dial would be a negative for me but still a great catch if the price is right.

4. rustynuts Dec 8, 2019

I'm guessing the crazing is on the crystal. It looks as though it might be on the expanded images

5. PrincipeAsturie Dec 8, 2019

everything seems perfect

6. CafeRacer Dec 8, 2019

The crazing is on the plexi most likely - it look aftermarket anyway, but i have a spare NOS one for 10234 references if required.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 8, 2019

I’d see the movement though before you pull the trigger.

8. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2019

looks nice to my eyes as well..... crazing in the crystal in my opinion as well....

dial looks nice.
    watch looks well loved.

enjoy

Bill

9. kaapstadflaneur Dec 10, 2019

To start, many thanks for all of the above informative comments about the early UG Polerouter Deluxe. Greatly, greatly appreciated.

Went back to the antique shop yesterday and took another look at the watch. Had a peek at the movement and caseback, which both looked fine. Caseback had the appropriate UG logo shield and the expected hallmarks. Movement was very clean (owner claimed a recent service) and it looked good to my inexperienced eyes. I was trying to figure out if the movement was chronometre grade (which apparently show up from time to time on the Polerouter Deluxe), but couldn't tell (so I presume it is not).

I also took another look at the dial and the plexi, and when viewing at an angle, the crazing does appear to be on the plexi. Dial is cleaner than I originally thought, which is a pleasant surprise.

The shop owner and I negotiated a price of circa US$ 2400 in local currency, which sounds about right to me. Based on some online research that seems to be around where comparable watches are selling.

bgrisso likes this.
  10. Mazoue Dec 10, 2019

Price seems fair. I don't think it's a steal but you'll see worse examples for much more.

Great to have the original crown and rarer/more desirable in rose than in yellow gold.

With a new crystal from @CafeRacer, I'm sure it will look fantastic.