Forums Latest Members

Cheap summer vacation watches...

1. stogie530 Jul 20, 2020

I don't know about anyone else, but I always use going away on summer vacation as an excuse to buy a new watch, always makes the vacation a little more enjoyable staring down at a new time piece. Typically it's a Seiko or a vintage watch, but this year I got this Ciga Design watch. Covid hit and vacation got cancelled, so for the next 2 weeks while waiting for my test results, I'll be sitting out back poolside staring at this, not bad, something different, it's a nice summer watch.

What are some of your favorite summertime watches?

IMG_20200720_163321_408.jpg

2. janice&fred Jul 20, 2020

Um...ok :D

OmegaRolex and Spruce like this.
  3. RonJ Jul 20, 2020

I used to wear my Rolex stainless steel watch in the ocean until I went to the Bahamas and someone else on the trip said that the watch kind of looked like a flashing fishing lure and there were large barracuda fish near by and didn't think it was a good idea.

I looked at the watch underwater with a swimming mask and agreed, probably better not to wear it there.

Edited Jul 20, 2020
    drhombus24, janice&fred and Shabbaz like this.
  4. Scooterino36 Jul 20, 2020

Zealande rubber strap on the SMPc for me. I like to associate my travels with my favorite watches. If I was to indulge, I may consider one of the Islander watches from Long Island Watch.

5. SkunkPrince Jul 20, 2020

I don't separate my watches that way, though I might be more inclined to not wear a watch on a bracelet, but this year I've been hiding in the air conditioning, so that's no big deal.

6. arturo7 Jul 20, 2020

Yet another reason to buy a watch...

7. SurvivingJoe Jul 21, 2020

I would wear my Timex Q reissue: cheap but good looking.

8. buramu Jul 21, 2020

Tisell.JPG

This has been my backpacking/jungle trekking/mountaineering watch for many years. Cheap but dependable automatic Miyota movement, sapphire glass, heat-blued hands, decent lume and scratches I can date back to specific trips.

Mostly chose this one because it channels the style of the late 30s/40s Indiana Jones era which is exactly what I like to picture myself as when slogging through the Colombian rainforest muds towards Ciudad Perdida :D

Alas.. no tropical backpacking adventures this year I'm afraid... :unsure:

9. Stripey Jul 21, 2020

G-shock - mainly because the ability to just change time zones easily, but also because of the low level of destructability.

10. Shabbaz Jul 21, 2020

I need a strong and waterproof watch during holiday. So always my rolex submariner...

OmegaRolex and stogie530 like this.
  11. Croc Jul 21, 2020

My old Swatch

A13282D4-DD23-4FA5-B420-CC3953BD0CCF.jpeg
    buramu likes this.
  12. killer67 Jul 21, 2020

Orange and Blue Zodiac Aerospace for me

13. Flintlock Jul 21, 2020

There went all the Seamasters, even the titanium. I'll have to use a black plastic watch in the water for now on.

14. Canuck Jul 21, 2020

Do not wear a high priced exotic, or a replica of a high priced exotic. Depending on where you are, people with machetes have been known to remove an arm in the process of stealing a watch. Anything plastic is best.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 21, 2020

What if I was going to Canada :whistling:

So what are the depending countries ?

16. Flintlock Jul 21, 2020

The watch I bought recently is a black Instinct Tactical by Garmin. It's pretty nice because it is a GPS with Barometer/Altimeter and compass. The count down timer is useful because it has audible and vibration . I can set the sprinkler without forgetting it too long.
    It's rated at 200m so I imagine you could use it as a diver in the timer mode and see elapsed time at a glance.
    The watch tells me the times for sunset and sunrise and gives moon phases. It shows times for many cities worldwide and the GPS sets the time whenever you want.
    It makes my other electrical watches obsolete. It is a little ugly and it's a multi-gadget more than a watch. But, it's useful as heck.
    I think I'll stick to it and mechanical for actual watches.

If anyone is considering the Instinct, the Tactical costs extra and has features you probably won't use. It includes jump calculators, including HALO. A night vision goggle brightness setting. A stealth mode that doesn't record GPS track and maybe something else. For only about 2 Cs you get the standard version which has all you really need. Garmin has some software that on your phone and on the web calculates more from the data to help your physical training planning. The watch also displays and records your heart rate and that feature seems accurate. The Garmin software connects to Strava. If you are a Strava user your ride or run will automaticaly load to it so you don't have to exercise with your phone in GPS mode.
    The barometer is in agreement with the local airport to the hundredth of a pound as long as you set the altitude correctly.

I'll check back later if anyone might have any questions.

Steve

17. Flintlock Jul 21, 2020

I think he means Portland and Seattle. :rolleyes:

18. Canuck Jul 21, 2020

I have heard horror stories about what has gone on, on the beaches at Rio de Janiero! Colombia! Sounds as though you doubt me! Okay, rock on with your expensive collectible!

14F28503-063B-4491-AA3C-15EA1BAE204D.jpeg
  19. Flintlock Jul 21, 2020

OMG You are actually giving numbers for just the single city. That is about twice the police killings as the entire US. It also is fantastic that the State didn't keep murder or police killing records until 1991 and 1998 respectively.

20. mayankyadav Jul 21, 2020