Certina DS vintage

Posts
55
Likes
300
Just bought a 1959 model that is on its way and was wondering if folks know the lug size? Anyone know definitively? I think it is 19 mm. Keen to order one to have it ready to wear.
 
Posts
13,631
Likes
18,984
My DS is 18mm.


Not sure if it is the same as yours.
gatorcpa
 
Posts
55
Likes
300
Thanks @gatorcpa Mine looks similar but has what I think is a two piece dial. Will post a picture when it arrives . Does yours have a plan back or the turtle back? Apparently the plain backs are older. Nice NATO!
Jeff
 
Posts
9,256
Likes
77,113
Hi Jeff,

As @gatorcpa says, 18mm lugs.

I’ve put mine on a bracelet and, because it’s an automatic (25-651) it has the larger turtle caseback.



Manual DSs have the smaller turtle - and this is from a 25-661 I used to own


 
Posts
13,631
Likes
18,984
Does yours have a plan back or the turtle back?
Turtle.
Yours is probably a bit older.

First thing I did was get rid of the NATO. Didn’t want any extra wear on the back.
gatorcpa
 
Posts
1,672
Likes
5,300
The majority of the DS that i own have a lug width of 18,5mm.

Some have lug width of around 18mm, some closer to 19mm. Obviously the variation can be due to wear or bent lug or production variances.

 
Posts
153
Likes
660
I always wore mine on 19's as I prefer a bit of a squish over a gap. Luckily I picked up this old Certina strap that fits perfectly 👍
 
Posts
1,672
Likes
5,300
I always wore mine on 19's as I prefer a bit of a squish over a gap. Luckily I picked up this old Certina strap that fits perfectly 👍
I have 18mm leather straps that i slightly stretch with my fingers by bending the end. Then they fit perfectly without gap.
I also use 19mm straps.
And even a 20mm nato works sometime.
 
Posts
3,457
Likes
35,254
Hi Jeff,

As @gatorcpa says, 18mm lugs.

I’ve put mine on a bracelet and, because it’s an automatic (25-651) it has the larger turtle caseback.



Manual DSs have the smaller turtle - and this is from a 25-661 I used to own



These casebacks are fantastic.

I would consider stealing Spruce’s photo to resurrect the « Case Back thread » but

1) I cannot find that thread when I do a search.

2) Theft would require me to consult my lawyers (Spruce and Gbesq)