Forums Latest Members

Case Restoration -- Without a Full Restoration?

1. timoss Jun 14, 2021

Hey, folks-- I have this A277 that I love. In fact, I love it so much I want to do right by her and started to wonder if it was possible to "fix" a few minor blemishes where, e.g., someone let a bracelet chew up the lug edges. The snag is I really don't want to end up with a new-looking case. I love the patina overall and the real sense that it has had a life, and a "new" case with the aged dial etc. would be a disaster.

Does anyone have any experience with, essentially, touching up a very specific/limited area on a case without disturbing the overall wear everywhere else? It's really just the top inside lug edges,

Some pics below--I tried to take some shots that highlight the areas ...
    IMG_5916.jpeg IMG_5917.jpeg IMG_5922.jpeg IMG_5918.jpeg

IMG_5919.jpeg
  2. timoss Jun 14, 2021

That last pic is the other area that has a bit of chewed up edge where case meets back...

3. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jun 14, 2021

Hi, if you are in the UK I can recommend someone to you that could do a sensitive case restoration for you.
    Mark

4. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jun 14, 2021

Fabulous watch btw.....

5. timoss Jun 14, 2021

Thx! Alas, I'm in NY....

6. timoss Jun 14, 2021

Have you done this sort of work on a watch of yours with success?

7. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jun 14, 2021

Yes, a Grand Seiko, it's just a case of clear communication really, and someone skilled as a laser welder.

connieseamaster likes this.
  8. timoss Jun 15, 2021

Do you know if it would be possible to restore just the very edge/corner of the lug, without ending up with a completely polished lug? It's hard to see, but there are micro abrasions on the flat surfaces of the case--just the kind of very light scratches that come from wearing the watch. If they laser welded the dings on the corner, I would think they would need to do some sort of polishing of the welded area. I wouldn't want that to extend beyond a tight area around the weld.

Perhaps this is a conversation that needs to be had with the welder. Any US-based options out there that come recommended?

9. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jun 15, 2021

I think your last thought hits the nail on the head. There is bound to be some work goes on around/outside the damage as the new material overspills a fraction and has to be worked down.

NGO1 and JohnWoo like this.
  10. JohnWoo Jun 15, 2021

Suggestion, try contacting quality watchmakers with online presence and good feedback.
    They usually reply with email with advice.

timoss likes this.
  11. RES13 Jun 15, 2021

I would recommend Tanner Morehouse at TMWatch, he is based in the US. He has laser welded a few cases for me, exactly as I requested.

He is a member on here too, @Tmorehouse51.

morningtundra and JohnWoo like this.
  12. timoss Jun 15, 2021

Thanks for the tips. Based on your experiences on the cases you have had done, what do you think: is what I am looking for doable? any comparable jobs you had done?

13. morningtundra Jun 15, 2021

He's done work for me too. He's very good.

timoss likes this.
  14. RES13 Jun 16, 2021

I would recommend reaching out to Tanner to confirm if what you are looking for is doable.

My examples were complete case restorations or newer watches that had some lug damage, not exactly the same work that you are looking to complete.

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 16, 2021

I’m of the opinion that this is a valuable old tool watch and it’s imperfections are not really worth risking it looking messed with. I’d leave it alone.

16. timoss Jun 16, 2021

And you may very well be right! It doesn’t bother me, and there is a good argument for leaving as is for sure.

17. Dan S Jun 16, 2021

Repairs might involve adding material by laser welding (over-filling the surface) and then refinishing back to original specs. It's pretty hard (i.e. impossible basically) to just do spot repairs that blend-in well without refinishing the specific surfaces that are being repaired. They can certainly leave the other surfaces alone, but the watch might then look unevenly finished.

mcgyver, timoss and JohnWoo like this.