Forums Latest Members
  1. SC1 Jan 14, 2023

So... since day 1 my Nivada Grenchen Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver has had a pronounced, one would say, double "clicky" start/stop pusher - both in feel and audibly.
    Being only somewhat familiar with the brand and not at all with the movement (Sellita SW510 M BH B) before my purchase three weeks ago I didn't think anything of it. The reset pusher however was (and is) much smoother in its action in & out.

When I wear a chrono I typically use it often throughout the day (timing cooking, Bicycling, errands, arguments with my wife, wait times for her apologies, etc).

Yesterday evening, wearing my CASD, I engaged the chrono at the start of boiling some pasta for my daughter's dinner and noticed that the start/stop pusher engaged with an even more than normal pronounced clicky almost crunchy sound. Not overly concerned yet curious I looked down at the watches dial and realized the chrono had not engaged... Uh oh.

Tried it a few more times... no dice. Dammit. First watch I've had that broke -- charmed life aside, and so new, brand new.

Outside of the chrono function the watch continued to keep time, great time in fact.
    Start/Stop pusher is clicky and crunchy, reset pusher still smooth, crown still winds and hacks. Just no chrono function.

An hour or so later, and while showing my daughter what had occurred, things became weirder.
    Showing her the start/stop pusher and what was wrong she pointed out, "Dad, is it normal for that small dial to stop and start with that pusher?" She was looking at the seconds sub-dial.
    Shit, she was correct... when I would engage and then disengage the no longer working start/stop pusher for the chrono it was now stopping & starting the second's hand in the second's sub-dial.

Here's a video I shot to illustrate the problem...

I've since written Nivada Grenchen about this but suppose I won't be hearing back until Monday during business hours.

Any watch people have any thoughts on what exactly broke or is no longer working + why the pusher is now starting & stopping something it should never start and stop?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 14, 2023

If the chronograph is engaged, and not able to drive the chronograph parts, it will stop the entire watch. I'm assuming the watch is fully wound? If not, that's is the first thing I would do.

Lack of power is one thing that can cause this. The other is too much depth of engagement between the chronograph wheel, and the oscillating pinion (this is a 2 register ETA 7760 clone from Sellita), causing the chronograph to jam up. Could also be something like some debris in the movement, loose screw floating around, etc.

SC1 likes this.
  3. SC1 Jan 14, 2023

Fully wound... both last evening and today when I shot the video.

I hear nothing rattling around not that that means anything conclusively.

Thank you for replying, appreciated.

4. Dan S Jan 14, 2023

Uggh. And this was the watch you had to import from Europe IIRC.

SC1 likes this.
  5. SC1 Jan 14, 2023

Unfortunately, yes.

6. Evitzee Jan 14, 2023

Is there any warranty support in the USofA? Always a bum deal when you get a new watch that immediately has problems.

SC1 likes this.
  7. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jan 14, 2023

SC1 likes this.
  8. SC1 Jan 14, 2023

@Evitzee
    @Scarecrow Boat
    Apparently they do contract with American watchmakers for smaller warranty issues - of course no idea how they will decide.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  9. Evitzee Jan 14, 2023

A lot of these smaller companies use RGM in Mt. Joy, PA, and others, for after sales service. Even if you had to pay a small fee for getting the issue sorted out it would be worth it vs. sending it back to the mothership with all the export/import/duty hassles. It is probably a relatively minor adjustment.

Edited Jan 14, 2023
    SC1 likes this.
  10. SC1 Jan 14, 2023

Hoping so too... and yes, a package to Pennsylvania would be far preferable to sending it back to Switzerland.