Cape Code and no breaks!

Posts
1,723
Likes
5,347
Love the yellow rectangle on the case back shot, it's he trying to tell us the serial survived?
 
Posts
2,326
Likes
1,886
Love the yellow rectangle on the case back shot, it's he trying to tell us the serial survived?

No, he masked the serial number.

Tom
 
Posts
2,427
Likes
4,700
Stupid. He should have wiped it away instead...
As you'd have done, if not fake from the start.
 
Posts
469
Likes
555
Excuse my newbie question, but what what exactly are we looking at in these pics and what is so bad? I think I need educating...
 
Posts
40
Likes
106
Excuse my newbie question, but what what exactly are we looking at in these pics and what is so bad? I think I need educating...
Same here. No idea what鈥檚 wrong.
 
Posts
1,210
Likes
3,906
Excuse my newbie question, but what what exactly are we looking at in these pics and what is so bad? I think I need educating...
Fairly new myself, but I believe they've polished the hell out of it.
 
Posts
259
Likes
232
Excuse my newbie question, but what what exactly are we looking at in these pics and what is so bad? I think I need educating...
They have polished all areas that were brush finished. Even the bezel.
 
Posts
30,180
Likes
77,926
Yes, years ago I had a customer send in a black dialed GMT that was like this. He had spent countless hours with a CC cloth polishing it to a shine everywhere. He asked me specifically not to restore the original finish...I wouldn't have anyway as I don't do ANY refinishing unless asked, but he was adamant he wanted to left all shiny...
 
Posts
24,797
Likes
55,079
Seems someone has done something similar to a Benrus Type 2, which normally has a very distinctive matte gunmetal finish through some sort of passivation surface treatment (unless maybe it's a fake). When I first saw it on eBay, my eyes just couldn't take it in, I was so shocked. I knew something was terribly wrong, but it took me a while to actually understand what I was seeing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-Vintage-1977-BENRUS-MILITARY-Type-II-MIL-W-50717-DIVERS-Automatic-WATCH/164103303728?hash=item263551b230:g:yoUAAOSwIh1eWdLB&LH_ItemCondition=2000|2500|3000|4000|5000|6000|7000

s-l1600.jpg
Edited:
 
This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Posts
469
Likes
555
Thanks Syzygy and Avidmark, makes sense now. Very helpful.
 
Posts
469
Likes
555
Just out of interest, does anyone know if this strap will fit my Seamaster in the pic below? And if so, is there a name or reference number for the strap? The strap on mine feels a little dated compared to my more modern Speedmasters.
Thanks. Rob
Edited: