Forums Latest Members

Can you tell me more about my grandfather's vintage Connie?

1. Lesterfield Sep 6, 2016

Hi everyone,
    I've joined the forum in the hopes of finding out more about the vintage Omega Constellation pictured below. This watch was passed down to my father from his father. My father decided to give the watch to me since I've gone watch-crazy over the past year or so. I live in NYC and recently took the watch to the Omega boutique on 5th ave. They opened the caseback and identified the watch as having the Caliber 564 movement with a reference number of 168.010/11. The movement number is 2521xxxx which implies it was made between 1967-1969 according to a post on http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/ , which has been an incredible resource. The watch was originally purchased by my grandfather in Hungary during the late 60s or 70s according to my father. I've done quite a bit of research and the closest watch I've been able to find is in this thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/constellation-de-luxe.19154/ . This thread is exciting to me because it implies that my watch might be a Deluxe edition Constellation. The differences with my watch is that there is a magnifying "cyclops" on the date of mine and the crown is a much closer to the case in what I believe would be considered a "hidden" or "semi-hidden" crown. I was concerned that the crystal was a replacement but I looked for the tiny omega logo in the center of it and can barely make it out. The omega logo in the crystal opens to the right or to the crown (not sure if that's helpful). Is there anything else that you can tell me about this watch? I would like to know its value so that I may insure it prior to servicing and wearing it. Who would be the best watchmaker to bring this to in New York City?
    I apologize for the poor pictures included below. Please let me know if I should retake them and which angles would be most helpful. Also let me know if you have any questions for me and I'll do my best to answer them.
    Thanks so much in advance,
    Les

IMG_9966.JPG IMG_9969.JPG IMG_9971.JPG IMG_9972.JPG
    ahartfie, ConElPueblo and JimInOz like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 7, 2016

What else do you want to know? I think you've done a great job of researching and exploring and there isn't a great deal more that I could add.

Some of the Constellationatia may be able to offer some feedback.

Congratulations on a very good first post, five stars from me. 5star.jpg

Lesterfield and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  3. fjf Sep 7, 2016

Well, the communist Hungary IS a strange place to purchase a gold omega!!. The bracelet looks gold plated, which is also weird for a grand luxe (all gold). We would need to see the inside of the caseback to be sure there are gold hallmarks. Also, there are no minute ticks on the dial, which is not common. The text on the dial looks good (original), though.

I agree, great first post for a new omegamaniac!.

Lesterfield likes this.
  4. Willem023 Sep 7, 2016

5. Lesterfield Sep 7, 2016

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. Although not clear in the supplied photo, The caseback does seem to be gold and the Omega boutique let me know that the case is likely solid gold while the bracelet is gold plated.

In general, I would like to have a better idea of the watches value for insurance purposes or a recommended appraiser of vintage Omegas in New York City. Finally, I would like to know which watchmaker in NYC is most trusted on this site to service vintage Omegas. Would the watchmaker be able to provide me with an accurate appraisal?

I will make sure to take a picture of the caseback as soon as possible.

Thank you all again.
    Les

6. Lesterfield Sep 7, 2016

I actually just came across this thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/watch-service-in-nyc.26744/#post-299264

I will likely reach out to both Al at Swiss Watch Repair and Aaron Farber since they are both short walks from my office in NYC. I will see who sounds more familiar with vintage Omegas and what they quote for service prices. Please let me know if there is anyone else I should reach out to.