Can I Swim With My Omega Speedmaster Professional?

Speedmaster-Apollo-11-310.60.42.50.99.001-7.jpg
Every once in a while, we see comments and questions on the Speedmaster that need to be addressed. One of them is about the water resistance of the Speedmaster. It’s often mocked for the lack of water resistance, but what many don’t seem to know is that, according to Omega, it’s safe to swim while […]

Visit Can I Swim With My Omega Speedmaster Professional? to read the full article.

Lots of photos show NASA astronaut Walter Wally Schirra swimming in his home swimming pool wearing his Speedmaster CK2998. He even wore it without any problems during water egress training in the Gulf of Mexico. Since February 1965, his CK2998 was without a bezel but still worn during Gemini training.
Moreover, several Mercury astronauts wore their personal Speedmaster CK2998 during desert & jungle survival training. Lots of photos of both Gordon Cooper and Donald Slayton doing so!
Nowadays, 50m is shower waterproof.
#Moonwatchuniverse

But what about lawn mowing, Robert-Jan?

Every once in a while, we see comments and questions on the Speedmaster that need to be addressed. One of them is about the water resistance of the Speedmaster. It’s often mocked for the lack of water resistance, but what many don’t seem to know is that, according to Omega, it’s safe to swim while […]

Visit Can I Swim With My Omega Speedmaster Professional? to read the full article.
One question I would ask though, is why there is a caption that says "Don’t swim with this Speedmaster Calibre 321, though" under a photo of the current 321 Speedmaster. That watch, when new or correctly serviced at least is water resistance certified to 50m so is no less resistant than the std Moonwatches. Were it a pic of a 1960s straight lug though, I would understand, that might be asking for trouble. This is a topic mired in misinformation, incorrect captioning just adds to it!

While I know you can swim with one, I choose not to, just in case. I also don't swim in my expensive divers anymore either. I use an inexpensive quartz Tissot Seastar for that. Yes, I would probably be fine, but in the case the seals are bad or fail, I'd rather replace the cheap watch for < $300 than spend 2-3 times that for a service and have my good watch gone for months.

This clickbait just gets worse and worse. I'm not even tempted to read it.

Thank you for posting this article. It covers a lot of interesting topics.

At least a dozen "special" Omega Speedmaster chronographs recently made it into space ( e.g Moonphase ), even different Omega Seamaster versions. So there's an interesting topic linking modern-day models with spaceflight.
🤔

A watch is only water proof until it’s not. -Archer

Every “water resistant” watch is water resistant to a point, until a leak develops! Why chance it?

While I know you can swim with one, I choose not to, just in case. I also don't swim in my expensive divers anymore either. I use an inexpensive quartz Tissot Seastar for that. Yes, I would probably be fine, but in the case the seals are bad or fail, I'd rather replace the cheap watch for < $300 than spend 2-3 times that for a service and have my good watch gone for months.
This is the reason for most people, isn't it? I have a Globemaster and a Peter Blake Seamaster and I swim with both. Even the people at the OB said not to swim with it, but it is 100m WR and I get it tested once a year. I believe you gotta use the watches trust that it will turn out ok, but I completely understand why other people feel the opposite.

Damn RJ’s going and taking our number 1 Speedmaster search term lol

I have had 2 Speedmasters with water damage.One was a brand new Trilogy.
Jumped in the pool realized it was on my wrist and jumped straight out but it was to late.
Omega fixed it under warranty but my confidence has been damaged for ever.
In my eyes 50m watches are not meant for any water activities.
I find my Daytona a much more robust watch than the Speedmaster purely on it's water resistance
Yet I find the Speedmasters aesthetics far superior to my Daytona.
Please Omega give us 100m.

But what about lawn mowing, Robert-Jan?

Lawnmower robots are not that expensive.